OGXbox.com

V1.0 Tsop problem

Maverick923

4 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

No, not with the soldering skills you currently have.

Get another Xbox.  Set this one aside.

I figured as much, but I thought I would ask. This started with a drop of solder that fell on the pins. I tried and tried, but I could not get it all out then bad to worse. I guess I have spare parts now.

24 minutes ago, bolofski said:

Desoldering braid would clean this up, then flux and resolder, you havent got anything to lose if you are just going to scrap the board anyway, plus its the only way to get better soldering skills :)

Thank you for the encouragement. I do believe some of them legs are missing. I think the only way to fix that now is to replace the chip entirely. I believe I would have to then connect wires directly to the traces. Maybe one day I'll take on this project. I've always had trouble using braid. Making solder stick to it I have always found it to be a bit of a task. When I replace the chip, I will see if I do it to the other side. Maybe I'll get one from a bad board.

On 3/28/2023 at 6:55 PM, SS_Dave said:

Remove the chip clean the board then fit a mod-chip is the easy fix.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Thanks Dave! Thats all I wanted to know before. I can just use a chip and then it would be good.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

Come on, that is cheating. :D ;)

If it was here I would have a go at repairing it but for 98% of  Game console modifiers I think it's well above there pay grade.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2023 at 2:24 AM, sweetdarkdestiny said:

Come on, that is cheating. :D ;)

I mean if he wants to save the build. :P

On 3/27/2023 at 5:25 PM, Maverick923 said:

Do you really think I should even try?

IMG_20230327_202332519.jpg

Holy SHIT. It looks like you tried to solder with a TIG welder... And then tucked a microscopic stick of dynamite under the tsop legs and detonated it.

Glad you got it to work with a chip... Even though it's an Aladdin... Meh. :)

• Like 1