OGXbox.com

Cant Clone Hard Drive

Verynormal

So ive been trying to clone my original xbox hard drive over to a wd1600aajs hard drive and i cannot get it to work. I have to set my jumper to slave to even get chimp to boot right, this is the adapter i used people said it worked for them in the comments and i wasn't really trying to spend the like 25 bucks for a good one. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JVUXMRI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

xbox.jpg

What version of Chimp?  I think I've asked already if you've posted this query elsewhere.

Chimp 261812 from here is the latest. (There have been 3 261812 releases, no version number change.)

Does your version state Chimp Loader v1.01 upon startup and prompts you to connect the HDD then press A to continue.  If not, get the latest version linked above.

It was the recent version of chimp, i re downloaded and tried again with the same results. I am powering my hard drive with a pc that i got for free and just did the paper clip trick with it to get the psu to power the hard drive without needing to power the mobo of the computer. Could this be my problem maybe?

I recently did this with the cheapest cheap sata to pata adapter from eBay HERE  and I also powered the 2nd HDD using the paperclip trick with a computer PSU and can confirm that it worked fine for me. Have you nulled the HDD key yet as this is the only think I can see that you may have done different to me. If not deffently null the hdd key using Rocky5 softmod, backup your console and try again. 

Edited by R9anSmart
Additional info

Well it worked finally idk if it was the drive or the adapter but its going good now. I really shoulda got the Startech adapter from the start its much better and comes with a splitter even. I think im going to try to use other drive i have in my other xbox and use the Startech to clone it then try to switch over to the cheap one to use after.

3 hours ago, Verynormal said:

Well it worked finally idk if it was the drive or the adapter but its going good now. I really shoulda got the Startech adapter from the start its much better and comes with a splitter even. I think im going to try to use other drive i have in my other xbox and use the Startech to clone it then try to switch over to the cheap one to use after.

For what it’s worth, I’ve used both adapters and a couple others on different chipsets without much issue. 

Your drive model seems compatible based on some quick Google fu, and you mentioned the 80 wire cable so maybe it is the HDE adapter. Those things really are trashy. I’ve heard some users complain that the adapters would kill whatever drives they were attached to. 

If you do keep the HDE adapter for one system or another, keep in mind it’ll initialize slow as balls and hurt startup times, maybe even kill your in game reset.