OGXbox.com

Cloning a 1tb Hdd Base Img for Other Consoles In My Collection

bluemeanie23

If the other consoles are softmodded you'll need to lock the HDD by having a copy of the eeprom.bin file from each console and using XboxHDM23USB Beta 2 to lock it.  To use XboxHDM23USB, you need a USB-to-HDD interface adapter to connect the drive to your PC.  If the consoles are hardmodded, you do not have to lock the HDD.

Or, purchase a dual drive dock but make sure the device supports sector-by-sector cloning and not the new faster filesystem cloning.  Filesystem cloning will not work since the dock will not recognize the FATX filesystem on the Xbox HDD.

Edited by KaosEngineer
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have the same situation my end. I have several console that I want to clone a nulled (all my console have nulled HDD's), locked 1Tb HDD from.

I still have the original HDD for this xbox (again nulled)

My question is, if I unlock my 1Tb HDD and clone the files to the other HDD's, can I use my original Xbox hard drive to boot from and relock the HDD's using Rocky5's chimp loader without losing any of the data due to formatting or whatever.

I think that this will work in theory however don''t want to sink hours into doing cloning etc and then lose my game files etc and start again.

Thanks

Since your consoles are chipped you should be able to use standard desktop drive cloning software which will do a full bit by bit image of the drive, since the file format can't be natively recognized. In theory, using something such as HDD Raw Copy or using a cloning station should be no issue between drives of the same size.

I've been able to fully set up and build out a drive to my liking on one hardmodded console, then take that drive out and drop it into another hardmodded console with no additional setup. Nothing console specific needs to be tied to the drives, so they should work as long as they're unlocked. If you choose to lock the drive you'll have to lock it onto the individual Xbox the drive will be plopped into.

• Like 2

On 2/28/2019 at 5:00 PM, MrMario2011 said:

Since your consoles are chipped you should be able to use standard desktop drive cloning software which will do a full bit by bit image of the drive, since the file format can't be natively recognized. In theory, using something such as HDD Raw Copy or using a cloning station should be no issue between drives of the same size.

I've been able to fully set up and build out a drive to my liking on one hardmodded console, then take that drive out and drop it into another hardmodded console with no additional setup. Nothing console specific needs to be tied to the drives, so they should work as long as they're unlocked. If you choose to lock the drive you'll have to lock it onto the individual Xbox the drive will be plopped into.

what he said!

I can 100% vouch for HDD Raw Copy, It is a great way to back up an image, we all know how long it can take to ftp everything and get everything correct, backing up the hdd is the new backing up the eprom!

44 minutes ago, wikati said:

Thanks for reply guys.

To be clear I have a locked hdd that I want to clone. All my softmod are nulled eprom. So if I unlock the drive, clone it, I can then have the clone as a backup, unlocked and them if needed relock it with the nulled key (or whatever hdd key) for it to then work on any nulled softmodded console?

I have no chipped consoles at this current moment in time however do have one on the bench that should be ready soon. 

Thanks again :)

• Like 1

Yes, you'd need to unlock it first on the Xbox, remove it then make a sector-by-sector disk image of the drive using HDD Raw Copy or similar software application.  

You will then need to lock the HDD to be able to use it again in a softmodded Xbox with the NULL'd HDDKey eeprom.bin and XboxHDM23USB Beta 2 or 3 Windows application.  A USB-to-HDD interface adapter will be required to connect the HDD to the PC.

The HDD can be locked for any,  hard or soft, modded console that has its HDDKey NULLed.  However, most people don't lock the HDD on a hard modded console as it is not required when booting a modified BIOS, unlike a softmodded console which boots the stock MS BIOS.

Edited by KaosEngineer
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

softmodded Xbox with the NULL'd HDDKey eeprom.bin and XboxHDM23USB Beta 2 or 3 Windows application.  A USB-to-HDD interface adapter will be required to connect the HDD to the PC.

Last thing, 

Any manual or guide to using this software? Everything else I'm good with thanks 

I've not seen any manual for it.  The main menu lists the options available and they are fairly straight forward:

Main Menu

1. List drives connected
 2. Launch xboxhdm
 3. Lock hard drive
 4. Unlock hard drive
 5. Check Lock Status

or press "Enter" to exit

Enter Choice:

The hardest part I'd say is once you select,

Launch xboxhdm

Even then it has onscreen instructions for prepping the HDD.  Once it finishes, exit back to the main menu and lock the HDD. Locking only required if you are installing the new HDD in a softmodded console. (Beta 3 installs an Xbox Softmodding Tool installer that runs when you boot the console with the newly prepared locked HDD.)

What's lacking is an eeprom.bin file with the Xbox's HDDKey inside.  You place it in the folder where you extracted the app.  The batch file, xboxhd.bat, is in the correct folder to place it.

If you've NULLed the HDDKey for an Xbox, any eeprom.bin file that has a NULLed HDDKey value will work. It is not dependent upon the serial number that is also stored in the configuration EEPROM data.

The locking algorithm only needs the HDDKey stored in the eeprom.bin file and reads other information it uses to compute the locking password from the HDD you are locking.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Just picked up a Xbox, softmodded it and nulled the HDD etc. I then went to change the drive over to my cloned 1TB drive (which worked when switching it out from the mother Xbox for testing) and when I now boot the new softmodded Xbox with the confirmed working, nulled cloned HDD from the mother, I boot into error code 13.

Cloned 1TB in question works when swapping out with mother Xbox's 1TB drive (which it was cloned from)

Replacing the HDD with the original HDD lets the console boot and work.

What am I doing wrong to get error 13 from the 1TB cloned, nulled, HDD from the other softmodded Xbox that works.

p.s Using Rocky5 and 1TB HDD shows up under chimp loader as slave and have locked the HDD via this with the console (even though both consoles have nulled HDD's)

Pulling my hair out with this one now, any help would be appreciated

(Both consoles are of the same motherboard version and are all but identical)