OGXbox.com

Everything Is Working but I Want To Start Over Again

MisterED.corp

Hi everyone,

I just introduced myself in the "new members" section. And now I have a bunch of questions covering different topics.

I have a softmodded XBOX that I modded like ten years ago. I do not remember what softmod, what exploit, did I tsop-flash...?

My setup is as follows: XBOX 1.2-1.5, 2.5"Sata-hdd, laptop-dvd-drive, VGA-connector on the back with a DIP-switch to choose vga-video-mode (so obviously i did a tsop-flash?), and usb-connectors on port 3 and 4.

Everything is running again after some major issues. The box is booting to xbmc 3.0 and I can watch movies and play games from HDD (I can not find my game-dvds).

But since I can not remember what softmod is installed, or what bios is flashed I want to start over. I only want to keep my games from the HDD.

My plans are as follows: backup games via FTP, backup eeprom, install a new softmod, NULL the hdd-code, ( I may want to upgrade the 160GB hdd at some point), rebuild the HDD from scratch, install the latest XBMC

is this the best order? what are the best methods for doing so? what software do I need (Tool-DVDs ?)

First, you need to determine if you are softmodded or TSOP modded with a hacked BIOS.  XBMC system info page shows the kernel version, what value is it? 

Does the starting flubber animation show Microsoft or other text under the BIG X logo at the end?  Evox BIOS generally shows a purple shield with the text Evo X in it.

You definitely need to research if it was TSOP flashed, chipped, or soft modded.  I doubt that with the other work done on this system that it is running a simple soft mod though.  If it has been hard modded then you don't want to install a softmod onto the system.  Try a simple test,  Plug in a new hard drive and boot off a Hexen disc and see if it offers to format and setup the drive for you.  If it does then you are definitely running a hard mod of some sort and don't need any softmod at all.  You can just backup your games over FTP, wipe the drive and set it up however you would like, then copy the games back over.  Also if the system is hard modded you don't need to worry about NULLING the hard drive because you will be able to run unlocked drives.

What version of XBMC is it running? It may not be present in older versions.  I'm running XBMC4Xbox v3.5.3. Oops, it states the kernel as the Operating System version

oMQqZ6N.png

Hexen runs the UnleashX dashboard and its System Info page will show you the kernel version.  Press Y to display the page after the main menu appears.  Use B to exit back to the menu.

rMXbVy2.png

Edited by KaosEngineer

Ok, in this case, Kernel-Version is 1.0.5530.1

I also tried ecstones Idea with putting in a new harddrive. so I grabed a random 2.5" HDD and tried to boot into hexen DVD but the xbox display error 14 or so...

because I didn't mention it before: there is definitely no modchip :)

Edited by MisterED.corp
modchip statement

Error 14 is a dashboard error.  That means that it couldn't find a dashboard on the hard drive, which is normal since it hadn't been set up yet.  It must have had some problem loading the Hexen disc, it should have booted and gave you the option to setup the drive.  On the bright side, that should mean that it is indeed TSOP flashed.

Hi ecstone,

It may have to do with my setup. At the moment the original (thompson) dvd drive is connected to the yellow cables and the laptop-dvd-drive is connected to the IDE cable. I did it this way because I only had a dvd+R on hand. when the hdd with xbmc is connected, I can boot into hexen disk, but with an other hdd it is as described. Is there an other way of figuring out the installed bios or if it is TSOPed at all (maybe using the hexen-disk or some other software that i can start from xbmc ?)? could I even have a VGA-output without TSOP ? If it helps, I can also load UnleashX or some kind of Linux (XDSL I think) from XBMC.

Hi there,

I want to give you an update on what I did in the meantime. I (re)flashed the BIOS with EVOX M8 and later with IND-BIOS (Winbond flash) and installed a new 80 GB HDD (for now, because I wanted to leave the old 160GB-Drive untouched)). Right now everything is working fine on the composite cable. but obviously I have no VGA-output anymore. How can I get back the VGA-Mode ? I know that there are VGA-Patched BIOS's (like in "TRUEHD VGA XBOX Bios Collection") but as I read this it means that I am limited to VGA and can no longer use the standard composite cable (or component)? Is this right? In my privious setup I could verry well put the switches on the back to 2+3 to use VGA or leave them all on off and use the regular composite cable. 

It sounds like you are getting everything just about the way you want it.  I don't have enough experience with using a VGA bios to be much help there.  They were always just too much of a hassle for me to mess with.  Hopefully someone else on here can be of more help with the VGA setup. With the different HDMI options, adapters, and upscalers available now I personally would avoid VGA unless you have a specific need for using it. 

You are right. Most things are now as I wanted them. So I think we can call this topic done. Maybe I will buy a cheap chinese component cable and only use the connector of it on the original xbox360 component-cable. This would cost me about 10Euro instead of 40-50 Euro for a decent ogXbox-cable. But I think I will also open a Thread specially for the VGA-Issue. In the end I'm more interested in hacking the console than in actually playing Games :D. But again, thanks for your help.