OGXbox.com

Warped heatsink bracket in v1.6?

Shmingers

Hi all, I grabbed a v1.6 from a local seller and after confirming it worked fine, I opened it and gave it a good cleaning along with new MX-4 thermal paste on the CPU and GPU.

I then soft-modded it and once UnleashX loaded, I saw the temps were floating around 65 degrees celsius. I figured ok, the pastes were fresh, those would go down. Long story short, they didn't. The system idles at 55 celsius and reaches 75 after gaming. Every other console I've owned/worked on hovers around 55 degrees under heavy load and drops back to 45 on idle.

I opened it and took a closer look - the heatsink bracket seems to be warping away from the board. Where I've seen it sitting flush on other consoles, there is a good 2 mm gap under the GPU. I assume it means the heatsinks aren't as snug as they should be, causing the higher temps? The clips are still seated properly, but it looks like the heatsink bracket is pulling away.

Is this a common issue? Should I just try to ignore it? Thanks all!

Best to post a pic of the heat sink bracket

The 1.6 boards report a higher temperature as well.

This is 1.6 and the two pics where taken about 45 seconds apart, The hard drive temperature is correct and there is no way the MB( System) temp could rise that quick

PXL-20221109-100951161.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

15 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

This is 1.6 and the two pics where taken about 45 seconds apart, The hard drive temperature is correct and there is no way the MB( System) temp could rise that quick

PXL-20221109-100951161.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

What dash skin is that?

On 3/18/2023 at 7:18 PM, SS_Dave said:

Hi Dave, here are pics of the bracket. I've never seen this happen before. I even checked my 1.4 and 1.1 consoles, as well as a donor mobo I have saved. In all cases, the bracket is flush against the motherboard. I assume this is reducing the pressure of the heatsink against the chip and resulting in the higher temperatures?

IMG_0507.jpg

IMG_0508.jpg

23 hours ago, Shmingers said:

Hi Dave, here are pics of the bracket. I've never seen this happen before. I even checked my 1.4 and 1.1 consoles, as well as a donor mobo I have saved. In all cases, the bracket is flush against the motherboard. I assume this is reducing the pressure of the heatsink against the chip and resulting in the higher temperatures?

I have several boards with some warpage around the GPU heat sink bracket and as long as the heat sink doesn't move I don't worry and especially as the stock thermal substance holds the heatsink like glue.

The 1.4ghz boards I have from N64freak have the heat sinks glued on to the CPU and GPU, so no brackets.

In the pic I posted earlier that Xbox was on for a maximum of 1.5 minutes and the reason for the HDD reading 35c is it's in a AV cupboard .

I assume this is reducing the pressure of the heatsink against the chip and resulting in the higher temperatures?

The OG Xbox doesn't have a temperature sensor in the GPU anyway so unless you have fitted a temperature probe to the heat sink you have no way of knowing and high reading is just a version 1.6 thing.

Cheers

SS Dave

• Thanks 1