OGXbox.com

Trying to hotswap to do softmod using Inateck adapter w/ FATXplorer

fiftydkpminus

I'm trying to softmod an old OG Xbox by doing a hotswap (since the DVD drive can't read games) on the original 8GB WD harddrive. 

I'm using "Amazon's Choice" usb adapter for whatever that's worth. :) Inateck USB 3.0 to IDE/SATA External Hard Drive Reader Applicable to 2.5"/3.5" HDD/SSD, with 12V/2A Power Supply, SA03001 https://www.amazon.com/Inateck-External-Reader-Applicable-SA03001/dp/B08BNPXSJ9  

I can't tell if a) this adapter isn't supported or b) I'm not getting lucky (timing wise) with the hotswap keeping the drive unlocked.  Any help is appreciated!   

If I use USB View it shows the device as: 

Loc[124] DeviceConnected: USB Mass Storage Device  

Device Descriptor:
bcdUSB:             0x0300
bDeviceClass:         0x00
bDeviceSubClass:      0x00
bDeviceProtocol:      0x00
bMaxPacketSize0:      0x09 (9)
idVendor:           0x1F75
idProduct:          0x0611
bcdDevice:          0x0006
iManufacturer:        0x04
0x0409: "

When I try to see the device in FATXPlorer  I get the following log:

=====FATXplorer v3.0.0.24789 64-bit (x64) Log File START=====
Runtime: .NET 7.0.3
OS Fingerprint: 3047bb3539608b94e41b5d78e5d1bc137edd101800e5ae889a3164cec688de07
[3/11/2023 4:19:13 PM] [Startup] FATXplorer is starting...
[3/11/2023 4:19:13 PM] [Startup] MainForm initializing...
[3/11/2023 4:19:13 PM] [Driver] Driver v22.0.8464.0 is installed and available.
[3/11/2023 4:19:13 PM] [Startup] MainForm initialized.
[3/11/2023 4:19:14 PM] [Startup] Startup complete, searching for devices...
[3/11/2023 4:19:14 PM] [Device Detection] Search for devices starting
[3/11/2023 4:19:14 PM] [Startup] FATXplorer is up to date.
[3/11/2023 4:19:19 PM] [Device Detection] Found SCSI device "NVMe KXG70ZNV1T02 NVMe KIOXIA 1024GB" @ "\\.\PHYSICALDRIVE0"
[3/11/2023 4:20:27 PM] [Device Detection] -OS disk, skipping
[3/11/2023 4:20:27 PM] [Device Detection] Found USB device "WDC WD80 EB-28CGH1 USB Device" @ "\\.\PHYSICALDRIVE1"
[3/11/2023 4:21:21 PM] [Device Detection] --Device doesn't support SMART
[3/11/2023 4:21:21 PM] [Device Detection] -Checking security status...
[3/11/2023 4:21:29 PM] [Device Detection] --Failed to check this device's security status, details: pd1: Unable to read USB device ID
[3/11/2023 4:21:29 PM] [Device Detection] -Checking this device for HDD and MU storage...
[3/11/2023 4:21:44 PM] [Device Detection] Device detection read failed at position 0x0000000000000000: The request failed due to a fatal device hardware error. : '\\.\PHYSICALDRIVE1'
[3/11/2023 4:21:48 PM] [Device Detection] Device detection read failed at position 0x00000000007FF000: The request failed due to a fatal device hardware error. : '\\.\PHYSICALDRIVE1'
[3/11/2023 4:21:52 PM] [Device Detection] Device detection read failed at position 0x0000000020E30000: The request failed due to a fatal device hardware error. : '\\.\PHYSICALDRIVE1'
[3/11/2023 4:21:56 PM] [Device Detection] Device detection read failed at position 0x0000000130EB0000: The request failed due to a fatal device hardware error. : '\\.\PHYSICALDRIVE1'
[3/11/2023 4:22:00 PM] [Device Detection] Device detection read failed at position 0x00000000ABE80000: The request failed due to a fatal device hardware error. : '\\.\PHYSICALDRIVE1'
[3/11/2023 4:22:00 PM] [Device Detection] --Sector Format: N/A
[3/11/2023 4:22:00 PM] [Device Detection] --Health: Healthy
[3/11/2023 4:22:00 PM] [Device Detection] --Couldn't find any HDD or MU storage on this device
[3/11/2023 4:22:00 PM] [Device Detection] -Finished checking this device for HDD and MU storage
[3/11/2023 4:22:00 PM] [Device Detection] -Checking this device for Xbox 360 USB storage...
[3/11/2023 4:22:41 PM] [Device Detection] --This device doesn't have any partitions
[3/11/2023 4:22:41 PM] [Device Detection] -Finished checking this device for Xbox 360 USB storage
[3/11/2023 4:22:41 PM] [Device Detection] -Finished with this device
[3/11/2023 4:22:41 PM] [Device Detection] Search finished in 206.7 seconds

Edited by fiftydkpminus

• fiftydkpminus changed the title to Trying to hotswap to do softmod using Inateck adapter w/ FATXplorer

I not sure how you hot swap it. Key is not to disrupt power supply to HDD.

1. boot xbox.

2. disconnect data cable, not power from HDD.

3. plug usb adapter, since xbox is powering it, you dont need to use power cable.

4. connect to PC.

Your adapter works fine, there is a bug with locked drives when automatic setting doesn't work right, you need to choose certain option in "hdd security tools" tab. Right top corner, options - and you try all settings till HDD is recognized. In my case SAT worked.

Appreciate the quick response, Yes that's the procedure I'm using.  The whole point of the hotswap is to have the drive unlocked (since we can't know the EEPROM on an unmodded xbox) - correct?   

So whatever bug there is with a locked drive shouldn't apply, right?

I did try choosing all the options in the hdd security tool

SAT, JMicron, Prolific, Sunplus gave the error: Failed to check status of WDC WD80 EB-28CGH1 USB Device. Command is unsupported. 

Cypress said Read device identity failed: Unknown error.  

Edited by fiftydkpminus

You could try removing the yellow cable from the disc drive and then booting. Iirc, that would throw an error 12 which also unlocks the HDD and gives you more than 3-5 seconds for the hot-swap. Let me do some checking and see if that is all correct info first. Hopefully someone else can back me up on that in the meantime. 

Edited by MadMartigan

6 hours ago, MadMartigan said:

You could try removing the yellow cable from the disc drive and then booting. Iirc, that would throw an error 12 which also unlocks the HDD and gives you more than 3-5 seconds for the hot-swap. Let me do some checking and see if that is all correct info first. Hopefully someone else can back me up on that in the meantime. 

Yes that's how I'm doing the hotswap.

Boot the XBOX with the DVD connected via IDE and power unplugged,  HD connected by IDE and powered by the XBOX, when I get error 12, pull out the IDE connector from the HD, connect the HD to my USB IDE adapter, turn on the USB adapter (which connects it to windows), query the device in FATXplorer (which the logs show it identifies the device). 

PS: I've tried it with the USB Adapter already on too, that doesn't work either - shows it as a generic usb drive and complains it can't send IOCTL commands.   

Edited by fiftydkpminus

For better compatibility, obtain a USB 2.0 to hard drive interface adapter instead of a USB 3.0 one.

smartmontools.org's Compatibility Info for the Innostor Adapter

Innostor 0x1f75
(No Name) Innostor IS611 0x1f75:0x0611 (0.06) Innostor Technology Corporation / IS611 SATA/PATA Bridge Controller -d sat OR -d sat,12 Arch Linux, Windows 10 21H1 zacchi4k If IDE/PATA drives don't work (unsupported scsi opcode), try updating the firmware and running the command with the -d sat,12 argument (a Google search for "IS611 firmware" will bring you a Windows utility to upgrade the firmware to version 0937)

Source: Supported_USB-Devices_idVendor-0x1000 – smartmontools

The SAT device option is the one to use.

Unlock Xbox Hard Drive

Since it is an original Western Digital drive, you can unlock it using the MASTER password:

WDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWD

Simply temporarily unlock the hard drive.  Do NOT remove it.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

What does usbview display for the vendor and product IDs of this adapter?

Ah I see you saw the USBView report in my original post (through reading your helpful answers elsewhere I anticipated you would ask) and you linked the notes from the compatibility table (I didn't know this existed).  I'm going to have to try to do that firmware update to see if I can get the IDE side working - fingers crossed.  The SATA side worked with a 2TB hard drive that I set up and locked for a nulled xbox using xboxhdm23usb.

Edited by fiftydkpminus

So I was able to update the firmware, FATExplorer doesn't work (as far as I can tell) since you can't set sat,12 and regular sat doesn't work.

Through the command line:

smartctl.exe -g security /dev/sdb -d sat,12 
ATA Security is:  ENABLED, PW level HIGH, **LOCKED** [SEC4]

however trying to unlock isn't working 

smartctl.exe -g security-unlock,WDCWDCDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWD /dev/sdb -d sat,12
PASSWORD WDCWDCDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWD
smartctl 6.2 2013-07-26 r3841 [x86_64-w64-mingw32-win8] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-13, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

ATA SECURITY UNLOCK failed: scsi error medium or hardware error (serious)

When I hotswap, it always seems to report that it's still locked. 

The moment I unplug the IDE from the XBOX, the hard drive makes a click, when I plug it in to the ide usb it spins back up - don't know if that's normal or not - I can't figure out if turning on the IDE adapter is somehow resetting the harddrive.   

Edited by fiftydkpminus

2 hours ago, fiftydkpminus said:

The moment I unplug the IDE from the XBOX, the hard drive makes a click, when I plug it in to the ide usb it spins back up - don't know if that's normal or not - I can't figure out if turning on the IDE adapter is somehow resetting the harddrive.   

Sounds like it is losing power.  After a power cycle the hard drive will be locked.  

Do you have a Molex power cable attached to the hard drive?

ediy:

USB alone cannot power a 3.5" hard drive.

26 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

Try -s instead of -g for the security-unlock option as well add double quotes around the password.

smartctl.exe -s security-unlock,"WDCWDCDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWD" /dev/sdb -d sat,12
PASSWORD WDCWDCDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWD

I tried again with the different params (and fixed the password to the one above, I had cut paste the other from a reddit post of yours that had a W missing on the 3rd WDC https://www.reddit.com/r/originalxbox/comments/t6koy7/unlock_hdd/).  

smartctl.exe -s security-unlock,"WDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWD" /dev/sdb -d sat,12
PASSWORD WDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWD

11 hours ago, fiftydkpminus said:

I tried again with the different params (and fixed the password to the one above, I had cut paste the other from a reddit post of yours that had a W missing on the 3rd WDC https://www.reddit.com/r/originalxbox/comments/t6koy7/unlock_hdd/). 

I fixed the WD Master password in the post on reddit. Thanks for telling me about the typo.

11 hours ago, fiftydkpminus said:
smartctl.exe -s security-unlock,"WDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWD" /dev/sdb -d sat,12
PASSWORD WDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWD

See if moving the -d sat,12 option changes anything.  It may not but generally the device id is the last option of the command.

smartctl.exe -d sat,12 -s security-unlock,"WDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWD" /dev/sdb

Try it without the ,12 too.

smartctl.exe -d sat -s security-unlock,"WDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWD" /dev/sdb 

Edit: Is /dev/sdb the correct device for your Xbox hard drive?

Which \\.\PHYSICALDRIVEN (value of N) has Windows assigned to it?

Find it by issuing the command:

wmic diskdrive get model,name

Update:  I bought a $15 Warmstor USB 2.0 Adapter (uses JMicron) from Amazon.  (Kaos' original advice - thank you)

I plugged in the drive to FATXplorer and it immediately recognized the drive it but said it couldn't use the master password to unlock.  This was a bit surprising - it's a 1.0 xbox, is it a known issue that the master password doesn't work for some WD drives?  

I hooked the drive back up to the XBOX and did a hotsawp - it worked the first time, I was able to install Rocky5 Softmod on Partition 3 and then unmount in FATXporer and reboot in the XBOX, Softmod worked without hitch, nulled (all 1s) the EEPROM, Success!

Lesson learned: Don't waste time trying to get the Innostor IS611 adapter to work, that thing just doesn't work right for IDE.   

@Kaos To answer your questions, just in case you are still curious.  Yes,  dev/sdb was the correct drive (physical drive 1), the order of the -d doesn't matter (I did try it both ways) and as I mentioned above, after flashing the -g security command started returning the status correctly for that drive.  Side note: as I mentioned earlier the SATA side worked correctly (even before the firmware update) when I set up a 2TB drive (for an already softmodded xbox) using xboxhdm23usb and the command line tools to lock it (-d sat)).  So it appears the IDE interface of the adapter/firmware has the issue - although it didn't matter much if the master password doesn't appear to work for this drive making hotswap he only way to do it, and that absolutely didn't work with this adapter.   

Edited by fiftydkpminus
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Hi folks, I need your help for "hot swapping soft mod". I follow below method and try to mod my XBOX, because mine is can not read DVD.

I tried many time and Xplorer360 can not read hard disk.....so I tried to found solution and see this topic, maybe this is useful for me.

And I try to use FATXplorer, that can read, but that show hard disk is lock, but Xplorer360 can not see and do anything.

How to do next step for me? thanks a lot!

My hard disk is segate.

FATXplorer message================================================================

Found IDE device "PLEXTOR PX-128M6V" @ "\\.\PHYSICALDRIVE0"
-OS disk, skipping

Found IDE device "TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 SATA Disk Device" @ "\\.\PHYSICALDRIVE1"
-Checking security status...
--Device is not locked, full status: Disabled, frozen [SEC2] (0x0009)
-Checking this device for HDD and MU storage...
--Sector Format: AF 512e
--Health: Healthy
--Couldn't find any HDD or MU storage on this device
-Finished checking this device for HDD and MU storage
-Checking this device for Xbox 360 USB storage...
--This device has partitions
--This device has drive letters associated with its partitions
--Partition found with drive letter: D
---This partition is not FAT32-formatted
--Partition found with drive letter: E
--Partition found with drive letter: F
-Finished checking this device for Xbox 360 USB storage
-Finished with this device

Found USB device "ST310014 A USB Device" @ "\\.\PHYSICALDRIVE2"
--Device is locked, full status: ENABLED, PW level MAX, **LOCKED** [SEC4] (0x0107)
--This device could not be automatically unlocked
--Sector Format: 512n
--Potential storage found, type: Original Xbox HDD

Search finished in 3.4 seconds
If you do not see your device above, it is not connected properly.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Help me understand: This is a LOT more work than hardmodding. Why do this? Am I being stupid somehow? What am I missing?

Thanks for your comment. Hmmm, because my xbox can not read DVD and I also had no USB adapter....so only use hard disk swapping method.

I had see hardmoddding, that should be call TSOP and look easily, only need to connect two solder point, but that should need DVD or USB to unlock hard disk

16 hours ago, cch2001.tw said:

Found USB device "ST310014 A USB Device" @ "\\.\PHYSICALDRIVE2"
--Device is locked, full status: ENABLED, PW level MAX, **LOCKED** [SEC4] (0x0107)
--This device could not be automatically unlocked
--Sector Format: 512n
--Potential storage found, type: Original Xbox HDD

The Xbox hard drive is still locked. 

Your hotswapping did not work!

The Xbox did not unlock the drive before you disconnected it or you lost power or the IDE bus was reset when you connected it to your PC.

Turn off the Xbox, reconnect the hard drive to it, disconnect the DVD drive.  Power on the Xbox.  Wait until the error 12 screen appears.  Make sure you do not lose power when you disconnect the IDE cable from the Xbox's hard drive then connect it to your PC.  Try FATXplorer 3.0 beta again to check the lock status.

12 hours ago, cch2001.tw said:

Thanks for your comment. Hmmm, because my xbox can not read DVD and I also had no USB adapter....so only use hard disk swapping method.

I had see hardmoddding, that should be call TSOP and look easily, only need to connect two solder point, but that should need DVD or USB to unlock hard disk

New drives ARE expensive, although you may be able to fix a DVD drive with adjustments to the laser potentiometer. And I think somebody could program an Aladdin for you for cheap, but when it comes to TSOP, I'm pretty sure you can write a fully compatable HDD from fatxplorer and be able to flash. Am I incorrect? Please let me know if I am. It just may save you trouble and work out better in the end if you have a full hardmod.

52 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

New drives ARE expensive, although you may be able to fix a DVD drive with adjustments to the laser potentiometer. And I think somebody could program an Aladdin for you for cheap, but when it comes to TSOP, I'm pretty sure you can write a fully compatable HDD from fatxplorer and be able to flash. Am I incorrect? Please let me know if I am. It just may save you trouble and work out better in the end if you have a full hardmod.

Sorry, I am a beginner in XBOX modification, but I am not very proficient, so now I am trying to modify the XBOX with the resources I have.

So, I'm not sure detail TSOP step, maybe that's easy method, I will try to understand the mod flow.

Currently I'm try hot swapping method, maybe that's not a good solution....

5 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

The Xbox hard drive is still locked. 

Your hotswapping did not work!

The Xbox did not unlock the drive before you disconnected it or you lost power or the IDE bus was reset when you connected it to your PC.

Turn off the Xbox, reconnect the hard drive to it, disconnect the DVD drive.  Power on the Xbox.  Wait until the error 12 screen appears.  Make sure you do not lose power when you disconnect the IDE cable from the Xbox's hard drive then connect it to your PC.  Try FATXplorer 3.0 beta again to check the lock status.

Thanks, could I ask some question for hot swapping? 

My step as below, could you please help me to confirm if any incorrect.

Step 1: Remove DVD connect (but IDE bus is no remove)
Step 2: XBOX power on
Step 3: Screen is show error 11 (mine is show error 11, not error 12, I'm not sure that is abnormal?)
Step 4: USB adapter plug-in PC
Step 5: Quick swap HD drive IDE bus
Step 6: Run Xplorer360

I also see one software is xboxhdm23usb-Beta2. Is that heplful for me?

Thanks a lot!

2 hours ago, cch2001.tw said:

Sorry, I am a beginner in XBOX modification, but I am not very proficient, so now I am trying to modify the XBOX with the resources I have.

So, I'm not sure detail TSOP step, maybe that's easy method, I will try to understand the mod flow.

Currently I'm try hot swapping method, maybe that's not a good solution....

Well I'm honestly not sure on hotswapping  or TSOP either. I'm not an expert in those areas. Im glad you're at least doing something to try to mod your box, but if anybody has any tips to TSOP once he's softmodded, that would be great. :)