OGXbox.com

Consumer CRT/modern flat-screen/ PVM?

Tartarus

Yeah I was wanting to pick up a small CRT just for that nice retro look.

The problem I found was that the RGB out from the xbox (for most UK crt tv's) is 480i, won't do the 480p on rgb. So that means you have to use the (much better) component video out from the Xbox (480p/720p) where applicable (game dependant), which then means for a CRT you are looking at the JVC and SONY range of PVM etc.... this = ££££'s

So, gave up looking at those silly prices. You might find one where you are located cheaper, luck of the draw, but getting harder to find one without burn.

There's a reddit crt group for gaming. Lots of pics on there of peoples setups for eye candy.

I have and use multiple different options including a 17 - 19 years old ED/HD WS CRT, an SD only WS CRT and a 20" 4:3 CRT.

Literally just today I've replaced my ageing kitchen CRT TV (15" 4:3 Philips portable) wth a new 24" Panasonic WS LED . The Xbox attached is set up with XBMC and principally used as a music player. 

New does not necessarily mean better though, there is always something that the old set up does better than the new which I why I like to keep my Xbox and other games console display options varied.

What is a problem for me with this new LED is that the TV's built in speakers are inferior in every way of the CRT it is replacing. As its effectively a communal situation I don't use the headphones I use for all other TV watching and gaming purposes. Headphones, even cheap ones, put in built TV speakers to shame.

With all the CRTs I've owned and own the speakers are facing forwards on either side of the screen and even with only a 15" TV's separation you still get good stereo effects. The audio quality is a not often considered advantage of CRT use.

I beginning to understand why sound bars are now a thing with modern TVs and I'm seriously thinking of getting one for this kitchen TV. An extra expense I had not budgeted for.  

I connect my xbox via component cable (diy xbox hd av pack) to my retrotink 5x pro upscaler to a 32 inch pc monitor(1440p gaming monitor). I bought it mainly for my sega for 240p upscaling and found it also does a very good job upscaling my xbox to the monitor. Nice thing is that it is also one of the best deinterlacers on the market adding almost no lag, nice whenever I play pal games from disc.

I have project stellar on order with cbox hd+, this will go in my 1.4 Ghz xbox. I still need to set it up properly, patch the games and come up with a strategy to clock it back to 733 mhz.

PVM are too small and niche, pricey

CRT, hard to calibrate, perfect motion, good colors, good black levels.

LCD is meh. Mostly because of crap contrast and motion, pixel response too.

Plasma TV, good compromise between LCD and CRT. But power hungry. Pixel perfection of LCD, motion of CRT, black levels almost as good as OLED.

You can also use PC CRT monitor with component to VGA transcoder. There is a possible native VGA mod, i cant find true VGA bios, something like chichiro is using.

yeah I have a pvm and I also have another TV that's capable of component but it's an older LCD from back when they were first coming out

cool thanks for the information though guys I was just kind of curious to what the community was using for their Xboxes

35 minutes ago, si_kabayan said:

I play on 21" flat CRT TV. As other metioned, the geometry mostly sub par compared to LCD. But I just stop bothering and just playing...

yeah I did that a long time ago but now that I'm back in the game I thought maybe I would try looking around for something new 

that's why I started a thread to ask others what they were doing

I borrowed a large 2006 Sanyo picture tube that was sitting in a yard for weeks at the bad side of town, got rained on but works mostly fine. Hard to find a living room sized picture tube for free/worthwhile price these days so I take what I can get. Has S video and component but only 480i component, not like I would notice the difference between 480i and 480p on a picture tube anyways. Not like am not hoping someone will drop off a perfectly pristine Sony 50 inch rear projection widescreen TV on their yard for the taking but it's not like the anyone could afford a $4000 TV and then just drop it off in a ditch when it gets old, especially today when even junk food reaches the price of fine wine.

3 hours ago, Tartarus said:

yeah I did that a long time ago but now that I'm back in the game I thought maybe I would try looking around for something new 

that's why I started a thread to ask others what they were doing

I mean, it's common in CRT scene that once we get our hands on CRT TV we're starting after geometry perfection, color calibration, etc. Hence 240p suite is popular. In the end, we forgot as why we have the CRT in the first place; to play ogxbox (or another retro consoles).

There must be scientific name for these behaviour because we've seen it in another things too. Such us, when we acquired an ogxbox we start to mod it, hoard the games, etc and to tired to play.

4 hours ago, si_kabayan said:

I mean, it's common in CRT scene that once we get our hands on CRT TV we're starting after geometry perfection, color calibration, etc. Hence 240p suite is popular. In the end, we forgot as why we have the CRT in the first place; to play ogxbox (or another retro consoles).

There must be scientific name for these behaviour because we've seen it in another things too. Such us, when we acquired an ogxbox we start to mod it, hoard the games, etc and to tired to play.

When it comes to collecting CRTs or x3 chips or Xbox consoles or anything else, it's the satisfaction of knowing they will be preserved in my care and possession instead of being lost to time. I know that I'll have it forever... It's a satisfying feeling that comforts me, even if it's impractical.

I recently got a new in box Sony Trinitron kx-m270 from 1986. Why? Because it's a brand new CRT. Is any other reason needed?

3 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

When it comes to collecting CRTs or x3 chips or Xbox consoles or anything else, it's the satisfaction of knowing they will be preserved in my care and possession instead of being lost to time. I know that I'll have it forever... It's a satisfying feeling that comforts me, even if it's impractical.

I recently got a new in box Sony Trinitron kx-m270 from 1986. Why? Because it's a brand new CRT. Is any other reason needed?

100% agree it is pretty satisfying.. I have some things that are still in the box I haven't even touched I know this seems sick but it's satisfying haha 

• Haha 1

especially when you find some old some old Tech or some type of old Gaming System accessories it's pretty fun to stumble across that stuff sometime.. I have the issue where I like to find something pristine that i really want but then I'll buy another that's a not so great condition so I can use it and the other can be on display

plus it just gives my wife and i an excuse to go out and look around and have a day together

Edited by Tartarus
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/9/2023 at 5:47 AM, Tartarus said:

100% agree it is pretty satisfying.. I have some things that are still in the box I haven't even touched I know this seems sick but it's satisfying haha 

I understand it completely, so you're not alone :)

I know I commented on this already, but the kx-m270, which will soon have a new-in-box twin brother, needs cap work and is not truly usable at this time. I'm just glad I have a foundation with literally zero hours on the tube and it's ready to be opened and for batteries to be put in the remote for the first time... A remote which is still wrapped in plastic with the manual.

RIght now, I am using a JVC AV-27320 for my main CRT duties, including my Xbox, which is hooked up via green monster component cables. Fucking bulletproof cables, man. I also have a 36 inch Trinitron that weighs 200 pounds, but I'm trying to find a spot for that one. It's big, heavy and unwieldy. Lol.

I also recently got a (secondary) 27 inch Samsung Slimfit with HDMI input! It tends to scale poorly with 240p material, so I'll be using it with all 480 stuff. When it comes to first and second generation consoles, or anything that uses 240 really, I'll use the JVC until I can get the kx-m270 restored. Just acquired an N64 with an everdrive and I plan to RGB mod it, so I'm not sure which monitor to use for that. Probably the JVC. But hopefully, the Sony kx-m270 will handle the older consoles as it only has composite anyway... I may have a switch with multiple outputs so I don't have to choose monitors so strictly, but I have some stuff to work out. :)

https://crtdatabase.com/crts/jvc/jvc-av-27320

Link to drive folder with other photos:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1v-sEhjWot3VoR4xHd0ppvq0Gk6JKKh9X

You should have access to the folder. Included:

-Pic of the Samsung Slimfit CRT

https://crtdatabase.com/crts/samsung/samsung-slimfit-tx-t2793h

-A Pic of my restored x3 box.

-Two pics of the trinitron kx-m270 monitor with the "it's a Sony" sticker still on the glass.

https://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=50799

http://www.tools-n-gizmos.com/part_pics/32194Pics.html

-A short video of the 36fs100 trinitron running Mario 1 from the Xbox.

https://picclick.com/Sony-Trinitron-Wega-FD-24-CRT-TV-KV-24FS100-394618182482.html

-My storage unit with the trinitron 36fs100 on the left. Can't miss it. Lol. I have two of the Samsung Slimfits with HDMI! You can see the kx-m270 in the cardboard box all the way in the back. :)

-Frasier DVD playing on the x3 box and the JVC.

Thank you for your patience. :P Let me know if any links DON'T work. The drive links are MY photos, while the posted links are 3rd party reference photos.

PXL_20230410_232112812.jpg

Edited by Bowlsnapper
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MrSmellyPotato said:

I have a Sony Trinitron from around the mid 2000's

Okay, awesome username. I assume it's one of the fs100 series? Those seemed to be popular. Questionable geometry, but overall a great option, especially if it's a biggun and you're going for size on that one like I was. Congrats. I prefer 480i to widescreen hi def In this instance.

Edited by Bowlsnapper

holy stack of TVs that is pretty interesting even its own storage unit what a champion.. complete awesomeness thank you for sharing this also gives me a little bit of an education and understanding what's out there and people's preferences and in general really awesome finds

it's kind of nice to ask a question here I know that there's a slew of information in which I've gotten lost in.. Here I feel I can get the more direct of what people do and what they're looking for and kind of what they utilize for their gaming and other things that they do

+ just having some fun general bullshittery

2 hours ago, nikeymikey said:

I use a 2022 65" LG C2 for all gaming. Current and retro. 

Previously, I was using a Sony PlayStation 3d Display and was utilizing a Pound HDMI adapter. So I was using an LCD beforehand. Man that thing kicks ass. Lol.

1 hour ago, Tartarus said:

holy stack of TVs that is pretty interesting even its own storage unit what a champion.. complete awesomeness thank you for sharing this also gives me a little bit of an education and understanding what's out there and people's preferences and in general really awesome finds

Thank you for saying that. It's been pretty difficult to collect all those, both in price and logistics (lifting, moving, storing, etc). I'm pretty happy with my collection thus far and there's really only a couple more I'd like to add; a Sony PVM, BVM, (both have killer accuracy and thick ass scan lines) and an Amiga 1080, which I had when I was a kid, but my dad sold or chucked before I was old enough to know what I wanted. Lol

55 minutes ago, Tartarus said:

it's kind of nice to ask a question here I know that there's a slew of information in which I've gotten lost in.. Here I feel I can get the more direct of what people do and what they're looking for and kind of what they utilize for their gaming and other things that they do

+ just having some fun general bullshittery

I'm glad you feel that way. This forum is a beautiful place and I love it here. :)

Edited by Bowlsnapper
  • Thanks 1