OGXbox.com

Saving this X2.2 Pro?

Shmingers

Hi all, I bought a "broken: for parts" Xbox. It was in good shape externally and when I opened it, it was a 1.1 and all five power caps were leaking. It did, however, have this X2.2 Pro modchip installed. I figured the problem was just the five leaking caps, so I replaced those with equivalents and assumed I had the problem solved.

When I turned it on, I discovered it wouldn't move beyond the "Xecuter config live loading" screen. When I tried turning the chip off via the bank switch, the system would boot as far as the flubber animation before showing error 06.

Long story short, I'm pretty sure the mobo is a write-off (clock cap was removed but I'm seeing a lot of old leak damage), so I pulled the chip off in hopes of installing it on a replacement motherboard. I'm not super familiar with Xecuter chips...is this chip salvageable? Do I have enough here to do a pin header install? I have a spare pin header, so that's not a problem. Based on my research, I know there was a second smaller cable that included the ground and D0 wires for that purpose, but I don't have it.

(Of note, as you'll see, the bank switch is missing the blue dip switch cover, so I'd be ok doing a full 1mb BIOS flash and not using the switch bank.)

Thank you in advance!

IMG_0500.jpg

9 hours ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

I would say your MB is fine. 

Error 06 : Incorrect hard drive password.

I assume, that the HDD is locked to another xbox. If you put a different HDD in your XBox and boot up an installer diesk of your choice you should be able to set up the new HDD and your XBox should then work fine. 

I concur.
For the motherboard to boot up and give you an error screen means the problem is most likely as sweetdarkdestiny describes. Install a new hard drive and boot the installer up as he said.

14 hours ago, Shmingers said:

When I turned it on, I discovered it wouldn't move beyond the "Xecuter config live loading" screen. When I tried turning the chip off via the bank switch, the system would boot as far as the flubber animation before showing error 06.

Error 06 - hard drive cannot be unlocked

Try connecting the hard drive to your PC and using FATXplorer 3.0 beta with its set of known Xbox scene Master passwords to unlock it.

17 hours ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

If you put a different HDD in your XBox and boot up an installer diesk of your choice you should be able to set up the new HDD and your XBox should then work fine.

Thank you all! I didn't include it in my original post, but I tried HeXEN 2019 and the 2021 OGXbox Installer...neither worked. I also tried hooking up a second stock Xbox hdd I know works, and that gave the same pair of errors. Honestly, that mobo is the bane of my existence and I've already lost days of my life to it.

I've ordered a new 1.1 mobo with a paired hard drive to install in the console. Is this X2.2 usable as a pin header installation with what I have shown?

1 hour ago, Shmingers said:

Thank you all! I didn't include it in my original post, but I tried HeXEN 2019 and the 2021 OGXbox Installer...neither worked. I also tried hooking up a second stock Xbox hdd I know works, and that gave the same pair of errors. Honestly, that mobo is the bane of my existence and I've already lost days of my life to it.

I've ordered a new 1.1 mobo with a paired hard drive to install in the console. Is this X2.2 usable as a pin header installation with what I have shown?

If that picture is of your actual chip and wiring, then it appears you already have the ground and D0 coming off the same plug as your lpc wires. The black wire with the screw hole attached and the yellow wire coming off of it. You are able to install using a pin header; but then I believe you will need the wire you think you’re missing, since the lpc wiring will no longer be used. 

Edit: it also looks like those two wires are only attached to the connector and still seem to function separately from the lpc wiring. Maybe it could break away? 

Also, you can easily replace the dip switch for a couple bucks. 

Edited by MadMartigan

5 hours ago, Shmingers said:

I also tried hooking up a second stock Xbox hdd I know works, and that gave the same pair of errors.

The HDD needs to be unlocked in the first place. If the HDD is locked to a different XBox you have a key miss match and the xbox will not boot. However, you can boot an old very old slayer installer (the ones without BFM bioses) but you wont be able to install anything. The HDD will just show up blank. Not even to sure why slayer is able to boot with a to a different locked XBox but it will show you that your MB is fine. The only problem you have is the HDD. 

Edited by sweetdarkdestiny

On 3/7/2023 at 8:49 PM, MadMartigan said:

If that picture is of your actual chip and wiring, then it appears you already have the ground and D0 coming off the same plug as your lpc wires. Edit: it also looks like those two wires are only attached to the connector and still seem to function separately from the lpc wiring. Maybe it could break away? 
Also, you can easily replace the dip switch for a couple bucks. 

I was hoping you were right, but no, the d0 and ground don't break-away from the plug. It was almost an easy fix!  :)

I'll look into replacing the dip switch bank. Thank you!

On 3/8/2023 at 1:20 AM, sweetdarkdestiny said:

The HDD needs to be unlocked in the first place. If the HDD is locked to a different XBox you have a key miss match and the xbox will not boot. However, you can boot an old very old slayer installer (the ones without BFM bioses) but you wont be able to install anything. The HDD will just show up blank. Not even to sure why slayer is able to boot with a to a different locked XBox but it will show you that your MB is fine. The only problem you have is the HDD. 

Totally understand where you're coming from...I assumed I could boot Hexen or OGXbox Installer and use it to unlock the HDD then re-lock it to the console, but the console wouldn't boot from the DVD. TBH the whole mobo was a mess, so I gave up and ordered a replacement. Once I have the dip switch bank repaired, the X2.2 chip will likely work fine. Thank you again!