Welcome to our site

Take a moment to join us. You can sign in with Facebook with a couple of clicks. No need for a lengthy registration. We also have Tapatalk support so you can use this forum on your phone the same way you use facebook. It will keep you notified.

Viggen66

Replacement of Stock Fan

Dear All,

As you know, the stock fan of original Xbox is quite loud, and given the age about 15 to 16 years I decided to upgrade/replace the fan, read some forums and some suggest the Nexus 70mm Real Silence fan, which has an airflow of 21.1 CFM, but since I'm from Europe this fan is not available almost in no place, owing probably to being an older fan design, looked for alternatives, and some suggested a Noctua 80mm which we need to butch the HDD plastic bay to fit on the box, but there's also a 60mm model, which fits excellently which is NF-A6x25 FLX. that address an airflow of 29,2 CFM which is better than the first solution Nexus 70 mm.

Alright connected the fan with the 4 anti vibration rubbers and this is the final result.

Still haven't replace the thermal paste, that's going to be my next project, really now I have a quiet XBOX on my hands

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks for sharing. I've been thinking about finding a replacement fan myself.

Also, replacing the thermal paste made a noticeable difference with the temperatures in my two consoles. I highly recommend it!

Which paste did you use BTW? Any special one or brand? On my console it must be fully dried, didn't have thermal paste with me gonna buy it next week.

Nice. I have Xbox v1.0 and I recently repleced his stock GPU heatsink with fan on it with passive one from latter Xbox revisions. I also replace the thermal paste (actually thermal pads) with Arctic MX- 4. Now the console is a lot quiter, but still not as quite as I would like to be, and the reason is stock 80mm fan on the back. I'm glad to see that there is no need to cut plastic of the HDD bay, because I don't want to cut anything on my beloved console. :) Can you tell me/us what temps do you have now in idle, and after leaving the game?

Sent from Honor 9

Really on the temps I flash the bios to use 40% of the fan and still very quiet, on the temps never gets over 55 normal would be between 40 to 52 C, which is excellent

Nikeymikey,

Noctua fans are available on every IT shop, just look at one near you.

For the installation I recommend putting first the bottom rubbers pads, and push them slightly, the ones on the top are very easy to fit.

Just be careful on removing the stock fan, to not to break the plastic plugs underneath

Edited by Viggen66

I purchased a 70mm AVC fan with a higher CFM  around 45.7 and 5400 rpm, in a local digital store, to test it on my xbox, after installation, I turn on my xbox and it sounds like a mini jet engine. after playing games around 2h, I returned to the xbmc, and I am surprised :o because the CPU temperature is 19 ° C and the GPU is 18 ° C ,and the fan runs only at 50%.

Cuv3ACi.jpg

Edited by Sifaw99

Alright, to replace for that particular fan I would rather leave the stock one, since both reassemble jet engines, the xbox running on 40 to 55 is normal and does not harm or damage anything, choose one that suits you best.

• Like 1

On 13/02/2019 at 11:40 AM, Viggen66 said:

Alright, to replace for that particular fan I would rather leave the stock one, since both reassemble jet engines, the xbox running on 40 to 55 is normal and does not harm or damage anything, choose one that suits you best.

I installed in my xbox a silence fan mastercooler 70mm with 31.5 cfm and 10.5 dbs.

I do that for fun and see what a fan with higher cfm can do.:). its not like xbox stock fan, its reassemble like real jet engine, the AVC fan that a purchased is hydrulic bearing so the noise isn't the same of the stock one.

After i tested to run it at full speed, the temperature goes down, the CPU got 9 C and GPU got 10 C.