OGXbox.com

Chimp 261812 Not Displaying Over Component

MrMario2011

Thought I would ask this question here as I ran into this the other night while using a few consoles as guinea pigs for testing a few things. I've been familiarizing myself with the process of cloning drives using Chimp 261812 and have successfully done two with no issues - one on a softmodded console and the other on a hardmodded console.

However I noticed Chimp 261812 on Rocky5's Extras Disc works perfectly fine with my component cables. Chimp 261812 on HeXEn (specifically 2018 when I tried it) would cut to black and not display anything on my setup after I pressed "A" after hooking up the slave hard drive. I restarted the process on the HeXEn build using composite cables as opposed to component and had no issues.

Is this common? Has anyone tested Chimp 261812 over component cables with 480p/720p/1080i disabled as well? I was going to do that last night but forgot about it.

I always thought it required using composite cables.  I've never ran it, Chimp 261812, when connected via component cables.

Can you generate MD5 or SHA1 hashes for the files tha make up both versions to see if they are in fact different?  I always thought the Extras Disc's and Hexen 2018's copies of Chimp 261812 were the same. 

If they are the same, they should run exactly the same. Require composite video connection.

1 hour ago, KaosEngineer said:

I always thought the Extras Disc's and Hexen 2018's copies of Chimp 261812 were the same.

They are. Unless the version on Rocky's disc is outdated. The version I put in HeXEn 2018 is the latest one from his GitHub page.

Chimp and other Linux based apps on Xbox just seems to be very finicky with component. Seems like it's a very inconsistent problem that varies from person to person, Xbox to Xbox.

Personally, I use component cables 100% of the time with all my Xboxes no matter what I'm doing with them and have never had issues these apps.

Edited by Forlorn Penguin

I believe in one of the videos I saw from Rocky that he mentioned his build of Chimp has a few minor tweaks to it in regards to option selection and controls. I have not done a MD5 as I'm not in front of the consoles right now, but it wouldn't surprise me if Rocky's build has anything additional which helps with display settings. For what it's worth, I ran the Extras disc version on a 1.6 softmodded console, and ran the HeXEn 2018 version on a 1.1 hardmodded console.

The version of Chimp that's in HeXEn is Rocky's version though, is what I'm saying. I grabbed the latest version of it from Rocky's GitHub.

The Extras Disc is older than HeXEn 2018, so it's possible that it has an older version of Rocky's Chimp on it, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't because both of these discs came out in 2018 and his last update to Chimp was in 2017, I believe.

I mean, unless he forgot to include the latest version when he updated the Extras Disc.