Welcome to our site

Take a moment to join us. You can sign in with Facebook with a couple of clicks. No need for a lengthy registration. We also have Tapatalk support so you can use this forum on your phone the same way you use facebook. It will keep you notified.

Sepereti

Clock Capacitor Removal

I’m new to the modding scene, and I’m not an electronics wizard or software genius. I have a 1.1 and I keep seeing that I should absolutely move the clock capacitor. I have looked into why, and I guess it has a tendency to leak all over the MB? Can somebody clarify this for me?

(This is the best spot I thought to post this due to motherboard alteration)

The capacitor will leak and when it does it can literally eat through the traces of the motherboard.  Removing the capacitor and cleaning up the area helps prevent this.  If it is not removed it's just a matter of time before the Xbox quits working.  On the 1.6 boxes they upgraded the caps to a higher quality and it's not currently an issue, in fact they are required on a 1.6 for the Xbox to even boot.  Any system below a 1.6 needs it removed as soon as possible.

• Thanks 1

I have multiple Original Xbox older than 1.6. in 99% of them they all had some form of leakage, from minor to major. I even had one that was in almost new and didn't want to open it to affect the value. I ended up opening it anyway and it spread the most across the board. I was able to clean it up but was worth repairing. 

So if the capacitor has already leaked onto my MB I should be able to repair it and carry on? I plan to back up the HDD and null EEPROM this weekend then remove the Capacitor. I’m not really good with soldering, can I snap it off? (I felt your cringe)

You can twist it back and forth until it pops off but it's safer to desolder it or cut the legs with clippers.  You can clean up the area where it leaked with isopropyl alcohol and it will usually be fine.