Welcome to our site

Take a moment to join us. You can sign in with Facebook with a couple of clicks. No need for a lengthy registration. We also have Tapatalk support so you can use this forum on your phone the same way you use facebook. It will keep you notified.

neighbor

XBlast Modchip With Broken Cpld

Hello World
So I've finally found a Xblast Modchip but... broken one, before buying it, would be happy to hear any advices from the techy folks regarding this situation and what can be done. So seems like the guy who sells it, somehow succeded to crack that U4 chip, and cut a few legs on the Xilinx CPLD, which looks like - they can not be repopulated. The questions are:

1, What chip is U4?

2. Will the new replacement Xilinx XC9572XL CPLD need any firmware? (did not found anything on the xblast repository)

3. Will the SVF from Aladdin Xblast Mod work in this case? (as I know, to launch XBlast bios on Aladdin Modchip, the PLCC32 must have the bios itself, then CPLD also should be written with something)

This is how the SVF for Aladdin CPLD LC4032V-XXT44 starts:

Please login or register to see this code.

112.jpg

Edited by neighbor

1. ???

2. Yes, the Xilinx CPLD chip will have to be programmed; however, the JEDEC file and source code for the XBlast modchip have not been released to the public.

3. The XBlast modchip and Aladdin XT plus 2 mod use a different CPLD. They are not compatible with each other. Different code will have to be used to program the Xilinx CPLD on the XBlast modchip. See #2.

Edited by KaosEngineer
  • Like 1

The Please login or register to see this link. for the XBlast OS (BIOS) has been released just not a schematic and CPLD source code.

bennydiamond @ assemblergames.com (aka psyko_chewbacca @ xbmc4xbox.org.uk) worked on this project for many many hours to build the modchip and write the custom OS. From what I understand, sales of the modchip were not as high as expected for the first release's run.  His chip is/was much more expensive than the current Chinese Aladdin XT plus 2's but has many more features.

Edited by KaosEngineer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KaosEngineer said:

The Please login or register to see this link. for the XBlast OS

Yeah, I checked the repository before creating this thread, sadly no way to get an XBlast atm, Benny not wanting to sell anymore, nor release the CPLD and Schematic sources. I just wanted LCD on my HaloBox. damn..

Update to question 1:

I'd say it's a voltage converter.  5Vdc in (Vdd of the LCD connector LPC header pin 6) to 3.3Vdc out for Vcc of the Xilinx XC9572LC CPLD. But not confirmed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KaosEngineer said:

Update to question 1:

I'd say it's a voltage converter.  5Vdc in (Vdd of the LCD connector LPC header pin 6) to 3.3Vdc out for Vcc of the Xilinx XC9572LC CPLD. But not confirmed.

thought the same, because seen traces going to LCD, but not sure about the name of the chip, never had to deal with such stuff.

Me either. 

But, looking into it a bit more the XC9572XL VGQ44 package pin 1 is I/O/GCK3, not a power pin.

Pins 15 and 35 = VCCINT 3.3V

Pins 4, 17, and 25 = Ground

Pin 26 = VCCIO 2.5V/3.3V

Can't make out much of the labeling on the top of the U4 package = maybe a V???.

Must be some sort of device to switch on and off the Vdd supply to the LCD module.

Edited by KaosEngineer
  • Like 1

Saw someone Please login or register to see this link. of their XBlast Lite v1 Pre-edition modchip and U4 was labeled AUA.  I see many different SMD chips with that labeling.  Not sure why many chips use the same SMD marker.  But not all are in a 6 pin package.  I think it's a 1.2V - 8V, 3A PFET High Side Load Switch w/ Level Shift & Adj Slew Rate Control - Please login or register to see this link. or similar part from another manufacturer.

Edited by KaosEngineer
  • Like 1