OGXbox.com

Do I Need To Hard Mod My Original XBox That Has Been Soft Mod.

lockar

Hi, I was wondering about this new dumb newbe question.  Do I have to hard mod my original Xbox for me to put in a bigger HD in it? 

From what I could find on the internet the answer is yes, but I came across other videos that say no.  So now I am confused.

Also when I soft Mod my xbox the ring not turns green at start up, but when I get the menu it turns yellow?  Everything works fine, plays games fine and stuff.  Should I be concerned about this?

Thanks! :)

-Lockar

Softmods are not active the instant the Xbox powers on. It essentially still boots as a stock console, then the softmod activates. The LED turning orange is done on purpose to indicate that the softmod is active.

FYI, if you used the SID or Ndure softmod installers instead of Rocky5's, you should upgrade to Rocky5's and then also null your HDD key.

Edited by Forlorn Penguin

57 minutes ago, PV544 said:

How big of a hard drive are you wanting to install?   You definitely can put a bigger hard drive in your soft modded xbox.   Just Google Original XBOX Hard Drive cloning. https://www.instructables.com/id/Original-XBOX-Hard-Drive-Upgrade/

I looked over the instructions.  Question though and it may not be allowed to asked on here, what do I do with Chimp 2.4?  Do I make a CD/DVD with it some how, or do I FTP it over?

14 minutes ago, Forlorn Penguin said:

Softmods are not active the instant the Xbox powers on. It essentially still boots as a stock console, then the softmod activates. The LED turning orange is done on purpose to indicate that the softmod is active.

FYI, if you used the SID or Ndure softmod installers instead of Rocky5's, you should upgrade to Rocky5's and then also null your HDD key.

I used the Code Breaker soft mode that I think it's SID because I remember seeing that a lot SID files in the install setup.

-Lockar

Well I managed to install a bigger hard drive in the unit.  It took a few trial and error, but I managed to figure it out.   

How do I upgrade?  remember I'm new to this,  To I revert back to the old hard drive and revert back MS' Dashboard (uninstall the soft mod)?  Then start all over again?  Or is there an easier way? Can I do this on the new HD?  Or because it a soft mod I would have to do it on the original HD and do the cloning again?  

Thanks in advance.

-Lockar

Yes I installed UnleashedX, for that was what the video suggested that I install that I was following.  

I know how to FTP in the machine (I'm using Mac OS, although I do use Windows 10 for some things), but I haven't figured out how to get any MAME working for most of the links are broken or the instructions are wrong... :(   As for the games. Any game that I down, do I just throw the folder the game is in my games folder on the hard drive of the xbox?  I'm a little confused on that..

Well we are speaking about the folders on the hard drive, I stalled the Genesis Emulator and I noticed it's not under the Emulators sections on the dash.    I tried looking for a emulators folder on the hard drive but I don't see one..   What am I doing wrong?

-Lockar

I was referring to upgrading the softmod to Rocky5's and then nulling the HDD key. You can grab the Quick Upgrade Tool from here, FTP it to E:\, then run the default.xbe file to perform the upgrade. After that, you'll be using Rocky's softmod and will now have the NKPatcher Settings app installed. You can boot that and null the HDD key in the advanced menu.

For emulation, you should look into XBMC-Emustation.

Forlorn Penguin,

Okay I did what you said to do except for null the HDD key, I'm kinda confused on what you mean and what to pick on that one..   Sorry sometimes I am a little dense.. :/

Just a side note, I wish it told me that it was going to erase the games that I installed on the HD,  Now I have to copy my library to the HDD again. LOL

Thanks! :)

-Lockar

Yeah, the upgrade tool does not delete your games.

To null the HDD key you launch the NKPatcher Settings application, then select EEPROM > Advanced Features > Hard Drive > Null Key.

The reason you do this is to provide yourself a back door to easily recover from HDD failure in the future because with a nulled key, you always know what your key is (32 0s) and no longer need an eeprom.bin backup. Whenever you softmod an Xbox, always use Rocky's softmod and always null the HDD key.