OGXbox.com

Updating Old Modchipped Og XBox.

skorpiocnt

Hi, So I have an old mod chipped Xbox. I threw in a 500 gb drive and have it setup, but the build is old and crappy. lol 

How would I go about updating the build?  I've softmodded a bunch of systems with the JRocky 5 softmod but the TSOP/ Chipped systems I'm just learning now.

The dashboard setup that  hexen 2018 did I really dont like, I much prefer the JCRocky5 dashboard setup with emulators and games etc. showing on the first screen. Is there any way to set it up like this? Like I said I'm a noob with the modchip setups. 

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks Guys.

Edited by skorpiocnt

On a chipped system you don't have to worry as much as you do on a softmodded system.  If you screw something up you can always boot a disc like Hexen and fix it.  You can just replace the UnleashX files on your drive with the UnleashX ones from his disc.  The easiest way is just to FTP them over to the Xbox from a computer, less work than burning a disc and stuff.

Edited by ecstone

Well I got it figured out, I swapped over to the Rocky5 Dash and got it all working. I will definitely check out the Emustation dash, I have seen the XBMC4gamers dash and it  looks pretty nice too. So I take it I can just install the XBMC4Gamers dash using the rocky5 disc again? Thanks for all the help guys, Ive already figured out quite abit with the chipped systems, I see what you mean by it being easier cause you can just redo the drive if you mess up something.

Yeah, hardmodding is definitely the way to go.

You can use the disc to get XBMC4Gamers, but it'd be better to download it and XBMC-Emustation from Rocky's GitHub (XBMC-Emustation can also be downloaded from its own website). The version on the disc is extremely outdated and using the DVD drive is just a bad idea in general because they're all dying nowadays.

Edited by Forlorn Penguin

Wow, thanks for the drive link. Skimmed through and there's all kinds of goodness in there. lol 

I have 9 OG Xbox's now, had a guy give me a box of parts, I think he thought he knew what he was doing but failed. I put them all back together and they all work. 2 have mod chips it seems and the 3rd powers up with the eject button and the drive is stuck, so I'll have to do a trace repair it  and get the drive up and running again but I like tinkering with these tanks of systems. The one has a Xenium chip in it but I will have to figure it out, not familiar with that chip.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys, so I'm trying to upgrade my hard drive on my chipped xbox. I ordered a ide to sata bridge board and the 80 wire ide cable but the cord is crap and doesnt work. Is it necessary to have the 80 wire cord? Id like to clone my 500gb drive into a 1tb drive with chimp but dont want to screw things up. lol  Can I get away with using the standard cable for now to clone it  til the new one comes in?Thanks for any help.

Edited by skorpiocnt

If the current 500GB drive works with the stock IDE cable, you can clone it to a new 1TB SATA HDD/adapter combo.  The necessity of using the 80-wire 40-pin high-speed IDE cable occurs when the new SATA drive / adapter combo are installed as the (MASTER) boot drive.  

For cloning, the Xbox bootup process sets the SLAVE device's transfer rate to that of the DVD drive (slow) and does not change it until power is cycled. After swapping the IDE connector from the DVD drive to the SATA HDD/adapter, the Xbox does not negotiate a new faster transfer rate. Thus, the stock IDE cable can be used.

To clone  the F and G partitions with Chimp 261812, there must be a partition table present on the source drive.  Run XBP Table Writer to write one to the HDD.  XBP Table Writer is part of the Chimp 261812 github repo - found in the E Partition folder.

• Thanks 1

Ok awesome, would like to use the old drive for something else. So if my current drive has a F and G partition already on it do I still have to use the XBP table writer to clone them?

I was reading somewhere that there were certain sata adapters that could use the old 40 wire cable with no issues, I looked it up and its the same adapter i have. Would using the 40 wire cable just have slow transfer rates? or are there other issues with them? Oh, and thanks for the reply. Much appreciated.

Edited by skorpiocnt

Well I tried to clone the drive with chimp but when I hook up the slave drive and hit enter it just hangs there, Ive used chimp to clone drives before but it never did this. Is there something I'm doing wrong with the 1TB sata drive? or do I have to use the XBP table writer first then use chimp?

15 hours ago, skorpiocnt said:

Ok awesome, would like to use the old drive for something else. So if my current drive has a F and G partition already on it do I still have to use the XBP table writer to clone them?

For Chimp to clone the F and G drives/partitions on the source hard driver, there has to be a partition table on it.  Use XBP Table Write to write one to the source drive else cloning those extended partitions will not work.

Chimp 261812 does the cloning not the XBP Table Writer Xbox application.  But, Chimp requires a partition table on the HDD to clone the extended partitions.  If you don't know if one's present already, run it to write one to the source drive before running Chimp to clone the current (source - MASTER) to new (destination - SLAVE) hard drive.

15 hours ago, skorpiocnt said:

I was reading somewhere that there were certain sata adapters that could use the old 40 wire cable with no issues, I looked it up and its the same adapter i have. Would using the 40 wire cable just have slow transfer rates? or are there other issues with them? Oh, and thanks for the reply. Much appreciated.

Cloning doesn't require an 80-wire 40-pin high-speed cable unless the source drive requires it to function properly. The original IDE hard drive has already been upgraded to a SATA HDD / IDE-to-SATA adapter combo that did not function properly with the stock 40-wire 40-pin cable.

8 hours ago, skorpiocnt said:

Well I tried to clone the drive with chimp but when I hook up the slave drive and hit enter it just hangs there, Ive used chimp to clone drives before but it never did this. Is there something I'm doing wrong with the 1TB sata drive? or do I have to use the XBP table writer first then use chimp?

Both hard drives and their associated adapter if required must be powered on when the console is booted.  Use a Molex power splitter.

Make sure you are using the latest version of Chimp 261812 and run it before swapping the DVD to new HDD IDE connection.  Chimp will prompt you when to swap the connection and the button to press once it has been done.  Use the selective cloning options to clone the current to new hard drive.