OGXbox.com

Pot Tweaking the Samsung Sdg605 Dvd Drive

Self

• 1 year later...

I first saw this on youtube.  It's a useful tutorial except for the fact that the camera is not close enough to see exactly where the contacts are on the pot to test with your ohm meter.  Anyone have a closeup pic of where the contacts are for the Samsung 605 drive?  I think I'll attempt this since cleaning the lens didn't work.

Edited by XboxMon

• 1 year later...

Hi, I bought a replacement laser from Ali Express for my Samsung dvd drive, removed the 2 static solder bridges and checked the 2 pot resistors on the underside and I am getting a reading of 0.3 ohms?! I tested my meter on a 150 ohm resistor so I know that is working. Any ideas? Thanks

From the factory, a replacement laser pickup assembly's CD and DVD power level pots may not be set properly and need to be adjusted.  There was possibly a CD and/or DVD test disc loaded to adjust the pots.  Just my thoughts, I have no proof such disc(s) existed.

Edit: the laser assembly purchased from AliExpress may have never been tested to actually read a disc. Thus,, the pots may both be set at the low end of the available adjustment.

9 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

From the factory, a replacement laser pickup assembly's CD and DVD power level pots may not be set properly and need to be adjusted.  There was possibly a CD and/or DVD test disc loaded to adjust the pots.  Just my thoughts, I have no proof such disc(s) existed.

I used to repair car CD players and I had a test CD that cost me over $300 AUD and it was to set the laser output and waveform on a oscilloscope , The laser power required a laser output meter at around $1000AUD and if you were not careful the laser could be damaged very quickly that was back when car CD players where still a new thing for cars. Now the lasers are preset and the circuitry auto tunes the output waveform.

17 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

Edit: the laser assembly purchased from AliExpress may have never been tested to actually read a disc. Thus,, the pots may both be set at the low end of the available adjustment.

Yes that is more than likely and I have seen sellers saying refurbished laser pickups and refurbished CPUs, I would like to know how that happens.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

i also have this model of the SDG-605 dvd drive and the potentiometer is on the side,near the the flex cable that connects the laser to the board, but the screw seems to be a different from a conventional screw so you need a specific screwdriver to adjust it