OGXbox.com

Updating X2 1.6 Xbox Hard Drive

gauchomigo

A friend gave me back the xbox I made for him years ago.  I want to update it for my grankids.  It is chipped with an xecuter 2, is a version 1.6, and currently has an ancient 150GB hdd.  

Primarily, I want to put in a new HDD, planning on a 500GB, and use a Startech SATA/IDE adapter with an 80 wire cable.  Then I want to add Coinops, and XBMC;  the XBMC primarily for karaoke.  Also a decent dash, thinking probably the last UnleashX.  I have copied all the contents onto a drive via ftp.  

I am confused as to how to 1) install the new hdd and 2) how to install the dash/apps.   From what I read on the wiki and elsewhere, supposedly, I can just install the drive, boot, and the xecuter wizard should walk me through formatting the drive.  I assume that then I can put in the Hexen disk and it will install the dash's.  Is this right?  My xbox modding days are long behind me (even the 360 mod days, lol).  

Any help is appreciated.

if you only need 500GB, you may want to see if you can find an IDE PATA hard drive. then you do not need the adapter, which just adds another component that could cause issues. of course the IDE drives are older so no telling how long they will last. I do use SATA drives with an adapter in mine. you may as well go with a 2TB so you will have the extra room.

This is how I build my hard drives. there are other ways, and I may do more than I need to, but more than 40 drives tells me it works great.

I use the hexen disk. first I go to "xbox admin", "applications", XBpartitioner 1.3". then I lower 6 and 7 to 1GB and press start then Y to format. when its done I press back twice to exit. when hexen loads I select shutdown.

I restart the xbox and let hexen boot. I go to "xbox admin", "applications", XBpartitioner 1.3". then press the X button until it splits all of the space between 6 and 7 and press start then Y to format. when its done I press back twice to exit. when hexen loads I select shutdown.

I restart the xbox and let hexen boot again. I select "TSOP Flashed/Chipped Xbox Tools", "Chipped/Flashed Xbox Disk Upgrades", "New Disk, NTSC Xbox" (Passcode is AYBX) then enter. I let it do its thing.

Then I go to "Install Applications", "Install XBMC to E" let it do its thing

Then "Dashboard Tools", "Switch Dashboards", "TSOP/CHIP", Switch to XBMC on E". let it rock.

last I back out and select "clean up installation Files", then "Clear Cache".

After that I remove the hexen disk and reboot. it always takes me to XBMC. This is when I FTP into the Xbox and transfer all the Apps, Emulators and Games.

John7272 - THANKS. 

Exactly the type of info I'm looking for.  I probably should go to 2TB (or at least 1TB), but since these are little kids, there aren't that many xbox games I consider suitable (or their mom, whom I daren't cross).   Regardless, your recipe should be just the ticket.  The more I dig around the few forums left, the more the little lights come on, and "oh yeah, that was it".  lol.  I have the latest Hexen in hand.  I'll post my results. 

cheers.

The Xecuter BIOS has no HDD configuration routines.

Install the new HDD. (IDE or SATA with a compatible IDE-to-SATA adapter,)

Download, burn to DVD-R and boot the Hexen 2018 installer disk.  Hexen takes about a minute to process the UnleashX dashboard's configuration file and display anything other than a blank screen. The dashboard will recognize that a new HDD is installed. You will be prompted to format the HDD. Follow the on-screen instructions to do so.

Edited by KaosEngineer

• 2 weeks later...

well, I'm not going to go into the idiocy/stupidity  that led to frying the xecuter ice chip on the board, but suffice to say I managed to turn the box into a paperweight. 

Good news is that the total cost was $30, as I was able to buy a 1.6 with cables and controller that had a dying DVD-ROM.  It would boot the Halo that came with, and nothing else.   So, I cleaned the laser to get it to read a Splinter Cell disc,  and soft-modded with Rocky's excellent tool, and the latest Chimp, which worked beautifully. For the record, I had the same issue with Chimp as others had - frozen at loading screen.   I had transferred files using Filezilla.  After I cleared them and used CuteFTP, it ran perfectly.  I probably would have never figured out how to fold the goddam IDE cable without the help of Youtube, lol.  Anyway, thanks for all the inputs.  They all had value.