OGXbox.com

Not Booting Dashboard W/New Hdd + Slower Speed

dizM0nkey

Hello!

My setup

I have been running XBMC-Emustation dash on my V1.6 Xbox with a WD2500JB IDE drive ... the system was soft modded using Xbox-Softmodding-Tool.  Both tools created by @Rocky5

https://github.com/Rocky5/

I want to update my storage and have both a 2TB WD20EARS and a 3TB WD30EFRX.  I purchased the following ribbon and PATA>SATA off Amazon:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EOJNGC2
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B073CKHX7X

(I bought two of each; I upgraded my brother's OG Xbox as well using a 1TB WD Blue drive... don't have the exact model in front of me ... but the ribbon and PATA>SATA worked amazing.)

The Issue

After loading the initial Xbox green splash screen, I am not booted into the Dashboard.  Instead, the screen goes black and it just hangs.  I've found I can open/close the DVD tray and THEN it will boot the dashboard.

I've also noticed the speed is slower in both the initial splash screen and the loading of the dashboard itself (after I manually open/close the DVD tray to get the dashboard to load).  Again, tested with both the 2TB and 3TB drives

Things I've Tried

Re-softmodding the system

Both 2TB and 3TB drives

Different default Dashboard (UnleashX)

Additional StarTech adaptor

Additional 80 pin IDE cable

... Anyone's input would be appreciated!

Edited by dizM0nkey

47 minutes ago, John7272 said:

I would mark the stuff in your setup, then there is no confusion (like dam was this the cable that worked in his?) I would also try your drive in his xbox

I have everything marked pretty well.  The StarTech I was using in my box worked fine in my brothers.  In fact, I just left it in there... it loaded fine, no lag / hang at initial boot.  With the other StarTech (the one previously in my brother's xbox) on my xbox, it still has the hang after MSFT Xbox splash screen.  I know the issue isn't with my box (the xbox hardware itself) as the OG Xbox HD works fine, as does the 250GB I'm replacing.

This appears to be a software issue so not sure where to go next on this.

4 minutes ago, John7272 said:

next thing I would try is swapping the DVD drive. I have a Thomson that reads everything well in my v1.4, but boots to black in my v1.6

Thanks, @John7272 ... The Xbox boots fine with the DVD drive and the 8GB OG IDE HDD or 250GB WD IDE HDD drives I've been using.  How would this affect or be an issue with the 2GB WD SATA drive?  Or the 3TB WD SATA drive?

Edited by dizM0nkey

2 minutes ago, John7272 said:

dam. all that is left is the software on the 2TB sata, or the hard drive itself. I had issues with 2TB hard drives and only use Seagate now. others use the WD with no probs though. 

@John7272 you're awesome ... thanks for trying to help!  Very good assistance with working through the hardware issues.  I really think this has something to do with the software... though could be a HDD manufacturer issue, but the drive I'm really trying to use has been successfully used by others:

http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=list&v_brand=&v_modelnum=WD20EARS&v_size=&v_rpm=&v_buffersize=&v_locking=&v_version=&v_postedby=

Head to NKPatcher Settings > kernel > advanced features

apply the correct kernel font, it’s automatic so just select the option and it will do its thing. If that doesn’t work try adding a delay file.

Select 1 reboot, if it still hangs select 2 then 3, I wouldnt go above 3.

Edited by Rocky5

5 hours ago, Rocky5 said:

Head to NKPatcher Settings > kernel > advanced features

apply the correct kernel font, it’s automatic so just select the option and it will do its thing. If that doesn’t work try adding a delay file.

Select 1 reboot, if it still hangs select 2 then 3, I wouldnt go above 3.

Thanks, @Rocky5 ... The Kernel Font automatically selected was 1.0.5838.1.  I rebooted and it hung at boot.  I tried adding the delay files 1, rebooted, and hung.  The same result from 2 and 3.

Are there any other options I can try?  Thanks again!

Try truning on with the eject button and leave the tray open. 

Its crashing at the exploit point and I haven’t a clue why other than the adaptor is slow & it causing issues.  ( I only use sata drives and max is 640 or there about GB work no problem )

what colour is the LED when it hangs?

Edited by Rocky5
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Rocky5 said:

Try truning on with the eject button and leave the tray open. 

Its crashing at the exploit point and I haven’t a clue why other than the adaptor is slow & it causing issues.  ( I only use sata drives and max is 640 or there about GB work no problem )

what colour is the LED when it hangs?

Thanks... running with the tray open hangs, as well.  The LED is green continues to blink when starting the Xbox by opening the tray.  When starting the Xbox with the power button, the LED is a solid green and stays green.

Once I press close tray (after it hangs), the LED turns a solid orange and the dashboard loads.

I wonder if I just need a faster SATA adapter... I got feedback that StarTech was the best; not sure of other brands or chipsets to go with.

On the Startech IDE2SAT2 adapter, is there a jumper across the ACD pins?  If so, remove it and try again.  

What IDE device is being selected?  MASTER or CABLE select.  Since the 80-wire 40-pin IDE cables are generally flipped end-over-end to install in the Xbox, cable select (CABLE) will not function and MASTER should be used.

Edited by KaosEngineer
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

On the Startech IDE2SAT2 adapter, is there a jumper across the ACD pins?  If so, remove it and try again.  

What IDE device is being selected?  MASTER or CABLE select.  Since the 80-wire 40-pin IDE cables are generally flipped end-over-end to install in the Xbox, cable select (CABLE) will not function and MASTER should be used.

Thanks, @KaosEngineer ... I did try switching from Cable Select to Master, and even without the jumper at all.  All the same result, unfortunately.

@John7272... that's a thought, but I gave my brother the Xbox as a gift today, since he'll be out of town during xmas.  Again, I really don't think it's the DVD drive, as the unit boots fine when I have my default 8GB or 250GB drives in the system; this was tested with the second StarTech adapter, as well.  Thanks!