OGXbox.com

Bad Hard Drive. Possible To Save?

my80chevette

I'm attempting to help someone with their original Xbox that refuses to boot. His family pulled it from storage around Thanksgiving and it powered on but gave error message. Initially I recommend just finding another working unit but this one holds special sentimental value. Turns out belonged to his oldest son who passed away from a brain tumor at 14. Got this as a part of his Make a Wish gift at 12 and played it constantly. So I've done softmod on Xbox, Wiis, and PS3 but never tried a modchip but was thinking that it might be a way to get this thing back up and running. Can this be done or any other ideas? I tore the system down, pulled the leaky clock capacitor, cleaned the board, checked all connections and reassembled but no go. Could use any help with this. Thanks!

Possible to save, yes.  

What's the error number in the upper left-hand corner of the screen? (It may not have one if the dashboard is the first 3944 release.)

What are the last 5 digits of the serial number and manufacturing date on the stickers on the bottom of the console?

Serial Number format:

LNNNNNN YWWFF

L = Factory Line Number
NNNNNN = number of Xbox produced this week
Y = last digit of year (200Y) of production
WW = week of production
FF = factory number produced in

01=Mexico, 03=Hungary, 05=China, 06=Taiwan

Error code 7 - HDD timeout - bad/dead HDD or IDE cable issue (reseat all three connections).  Verify that the HDD has power.

21502 = 2002 (2WWFF), 15th (x15xx) week made in Mexico (xxx02), on factory line #5, the 013237th produced that week in the whole factory (or that week on that line in the factory not exactly sure which).

April 15, 2002 makes it in the v1.0 timeframe from 01/2001–10/2002 not v1.1 from 11/2002-04/2003 (dates are rough estimate especially those near the new revision change over).

4034 BIOS makes it a v1.0.

A new HDD has to be locked using the proper password generated from the HDDKey stored in the configuration EEPROM on the motherboard and the information read from the HDD - model/serial number.

You'll need to read the 8-pin serial eeprom's data to obtain the information to build a new LOCKed HDD for the Xbox.

Read the 256 bytes of data from the chip with either an Xbox serial EEPROM reader/write and PC with a serial port and PonyProg software or a Raspberry Pi. running Linux and PiPROM software.

Edited by KaosEngineer

• 1 month later...