OGXbox.com

Smartxx Lt OpX Frag On Wire Install

John7272

Hello, I purchased this chip a while back and decided to install it in my TSOP modded Xbox so I could add another LCD unit to my collection. the pin header section was removed by the previous owner, which I do not think is a problem because I seen a video of someone using the same chip with the wire install using the solder pads as I did. Every time I press power or eject It frags, but if I remove the DO it boots my TSOP fine. I tried all the button presses to try to get the OS to load, but no go. I have been searching online now for a few hours to no avail, not much info on this chip left out there now.

I am hoping someone here has experience with this chip. I see there are 3 spots labeled JP1, JP2 and JP3. it appears they are for adding switches for hard selecting a bios on the chip but I'm just not sure.

I think someone flashed it incorrectly, is there a way to rescue the chip? I keep seeing posts about there being a backup on the chip to rescue it.

I did look in wayback, couldn't find info I already had.  Filled a 4TB hard drive with info and roms over the years, some of which does not exist on the web now. just never dealt with this chip. None of what I have or found explains the recovery options, just some mentions of it in wayback. I am installing it in a v1.2 Xbox, but can install it in any version as I have them all. I don't want it in a v1.6 because I also RAM upgrade all my units. 

Any help or suggestions are much appreciated

Frag no matter what, I tried:

power (fast press), (hold), (double press)

eject all 3 variations.

both buttons

following traces on the motherboard, the chip has a good connection at the LPC.

I am starting to think the chip is bad, but I am going to mess with it for a while and see what happens. I see that the smartxx v3 has 2 easy solder pads labeled "recover DO", the OPX has 3 of them labeled JP1, JP2 and JP3. I am going to see what happens on all button press combos when these pads are shorted.

literally just found that file on my hard drive and came to brag lol! but came here to see you posted it! 

the instructions said that the eject wire is not needed, so I did not do it. now that I have it soldered it will boot my TSOP. this tells me that the chip is controlling the boot process. just cannot get the OS to boot. I do not think there are any bios's flashed to it. I believe the chip has never been used, none of the pads had any solder on them. they were all like new. of course someone may have tried to install via pinheader but the DO point is on the chip and was never soldered.

I am soldering a connector to it now to try it in my other Xboxes. they all have pinheaders from my X3's

UPDATE:

connecting the "eject" pad on the chip to the motherboard point in the instructions. This allows me to boot the motherboard TSOP. When I press eject It boots the motherboard bios fine, which loads my XBMC. When I press power it frags frags and then... frags. I tried jumpering JP1, JP2, and JP3 in all combinations and it still frags.

Tried it in my v1.4 which has a working X3 modchip with the same results. It frags when I try to start with the smartxx. if I press eject it boots the motherboard TSOP.

The pinheader section of the modchip is snapped off for installation in a v1.6, which the instructions say to do. I have a 1.2 though, but this should be fine. the video I found shows a wire install in a v1.o which the pinheader section is snapped off.

I

Seems the LT OPX has no recovery mode (update: or at least no released method to enter a recovery mode) like the other SmartXX modchips. The SmartXX OS on it is to be hardware protected. I think it is inaccessible without the SmartXX OS running. Once booted, the SmartXX OS can be flashed with a newer SmartXX OS..  There's also a RemoteFlasher program (see attached file) available to reflash the SmartXX modchips.  (I personally don't have a SmartXX LT OPX chip to test.)

The remaining portion (3.5MB) of flash memory on the modchip is available to hold additional BIOSes.  To flash them, the SmartXX OS should be running. (Power button boot of the console.)

FRAG'ing with a modchip installed generally means there's a problem loading the BIOS from the modchip.   Bad connection between the LPC debug port and the modchip.

You are sure that the wires are being connected to the correct pins on the LPC debug header port (LPC Debug Port Pinout).

RemoteFlasher_v5.zip

Edited by KaosEngineer

Spot on with the wiring. Used my X3CP motherboard which has a good working X3. Then metered every connection from the LPC to next connection from the solder pad on the SmartXX. It detects the difference between the power button and eject because it boots motherboard bios on eject, and attempts to boot chip bios on power button. Tried it in my motherboard with a working Xenium Ice as well with the same results. Should have taken pictures of how it was set up, regret it now. It is disassembled already.

It seems like the OS is corrupt to me so I'm trying something new. I have a working SmartXX chip coming which has the pinheader section still on it. Going to meter the connections to see if it changes connections to the LPC. from pictures I have noted that it disconnects 2 points (pictured) when the pinheader section is removed. Need the new chip to verify.

I will boot the new chip and get it set to flash an update OS, then hotswap. My results will be posted here.

pinheader disconnect.PNG