OGXbox.com

XBox Keeps Restarting ?

ChewbaccaSaurus

Hi all I recently picked up an Original Xbox to mod (unsure of version due to it not working). and when I plug the power into the unit it starts up without the press of the power button, It posts on screen with the startup animation but ends abruptly and shuts off just to turn back on 2 seconds later this time with no bootup screen. This cycle continues until the power is disconnected I've tried fiddling with the power button in hopes it was just stuck with no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Clock cap leaked electrolyte has damaged traces along the outer front edge on the bottom side of the motherboard.

These 4 very thin traces carry signals to and from the system management controller to power on/off the console, eject/load the DVD tray and control of the front panel red and green LEDs.

https://imgur.com/2YESah9

Remove the clock cap, clean the residue off the top and bottom side of the motherboard and anywhere else it has touched.  Repair the traces (link for one repair solution on the imgur.com picture page posted above.)

Edited by KaosEngineer

2 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Clock cap leaked electrolyte has damaged traces along the outer front edge on the bottom side of the motherboard.

These 4 very thin traces carry signals to and from the system management controller to power on/off the console, eject/load the DVD tray and control of the front panel red and green LEDs.

Remove the clock cap, clean the residue off the top and bottom side of the motherboard and anywhere else it has touched.  Repair the traces (link for one repair solution on the imgur.com picture page posted above.)

That was it I've opened it up and the clock cap has leaked so I'm going to clean it up and see which traces are broken with a multimeter and repair them. Thank you for your help I never would've thought the clock cap would affect the front panel controls.

3 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Good news and bad news, Good news is only one line was bad and I jumped it with a wire and soldered it in place and the system turns on with the button and ejects the disc drive bad news is I was hoping the clock cap would work just enough so I could soft mod the system so I didn't need it anymore but that's not the case it gets stuck at the xbox logo sadly. Is there any way around replacing it instantly? can it fetch time if it's plugged into internet like old pc's did?

For v1.0-1.5 Xbox's the clock cap is not necessary for the system to boot.  The MS dashboard will start each time AC power is removed as the time/date will be lost.  As long as AC power stays connected, they will be retained after a power cycle as the Xbox's power supply provides standby power to keep the clock running even when the rest of the console is off.

However, V1.6's require the clock cap to boot.

Do you know what version your Xbox is?

20 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

For v1.0-1.5 Xbox's the clock cap is not necessary for the system to boot.  The MS dashboard will start each time AC power is removed as the time/date will be lost.  As long as AC power stays connected, they will be retained after a power cycle as the Xbox's power supply provides standby power to keep the clock running even when the rest of the console is off.

However, V1.6's require the clock cap to boot.

Do you know what version your Xbox is?

On 12/9/2018 at 1:21 PM, John7272 said:

It does not go to an error screen?

Hi again , sorry for the late reply I thought originally it was the clock cap not allowing the system to boot but it turned out the HDD was just slow to spin up I had to reboot the system about 3 times before the Microsoft logo appeared upon boot and loaded into the system. I think the system had been sitting for quite some time before me buying it but all seems okay now and I intend to replace the hard drive with a bigger 1tb sata drive. Also, it's a v1.2 Xbox 

• 6 months later...

I Have a 1 .6 board with this same problem, random restarts. So here is what I have checked so far.

Traces with multimeter all ok ,except trace D cant locate the end of that trace only the "middle point".

Clock capasitor seems ok 2.32v.

Transistor beside the clockcapasitor seems ok 3.26v

I haved checked so called continuity trace it seems ok. I am not really expert with the multimeter but I have spare 1.6 board and the ohms seems to check out when I compare the results with these two boards.

I have changed the front panel (eject & power buttons) from working xbox, does not help with the problem.

I have used two different ide cables does not help.

Please HELP! LOVE

spacer.png

spacer.png 

some extra details:

The modding was done by previous owner it seems to work fine. I checked the rebuilt lpc port wires they are ok. The LFRAME is not cut.

I cloned original hdd with chimp and switched to 160gb sata hdd with adapter and 80way ide cable. This xbox was sold to me as faulty so I guess the previous owner had same problem.

Does the front panel Eject ring change color before it restarts?  

Does the internal fan speed up to 100%?

Try shortening the wires on the bottom of the motherboard that have excessive length in them used in the LPC rebuild.  Each wire should run straight from the LPC header pin to the destination.

Try to keep each wire away from all the others as best you can. Don't have them cross over each other.  

The ends should not have bare metal exposed that could possibly touch other traces on the printed circuit board.  Almost every end has too much insulation removed.

Fan speeding up to maximum speed.  The SMC thinks the CPU is overheating and shuts off the console.  Although I thought, the front panel LED should be flashing orange too.

The LPC rebuild wires with there extra uninsulated ends could be touching the trace that carries the signal to the temp sensor. I've not traced out where the CPU's temperature diode runs on the PCB to the ADM1032 (U6F1).