OGXbox.com

Better Cooling?

plumbumber

Hello

I've seen people online who have upgraded the 72mm fan with a 80mm fan, mainly to keep it running silently.
But does it keep the xbox cooler also? i have noticed some stuttering in some games, i already replaced the cooling paste.
i have already thought that it probably is because of hardware limitations and that the games run as they were intended but it doesn't hurt to try and improve the cooling so that it surely isnt a heat problem.

and is it possible to improve the heatsink? i have swapped my v1.2 with a V1.0, is the v1.2 "passive" heatsink better? is there a possibility to replace the cpu cooler with an aftermarket cooler?

thanks

• Like 1

>is it possible to improve the heatsink?

That's what I've been wondering. I'm going to find out when I make copper heat sinks...eventually.

I got a fairly thick stainless steel bread pan I'm going to melt copper in. Saw the 'loaf' in half and cold-work the cubes into shape, etc, etc. If they lower the temperatures even 5C I'd say it's worth the time.

Hello

I've seen people online who have upgraded the 72mm fan with a 80mm fan, mainly to keep it running silently.
But does it keep the xbox cooler also? i have noticed some stuttering in some games, i already replaced the cooling paste.
i have already thought that it probably is because of hardware limitations and that the games run as they were intended but it doesn't hurt to try and improve the cooling so that it surely isnt a heat problem.
and is it possible to improve the heatsink? i have swapped my v1.2 with a V1.0, is the v1.2 "passive" heatsink better? is there a possibility to replace the cpu cooler with an aftermarket cooler?

thanks

When you put in an after market 80mm you have to do a couple of things to make it fit, here’s a good video on that:

https://youtu.be/skDQq42uS5o

Also, some people have been known to put fans on the CPU/GPU like the Iceberq 4 Pro. They are a couple of other fans that fit as well, but those are the best one, only problem is finding them, and when you do, they’ll usually cost about $40USD each.

1ff91d170cce3f7969ce142c87eb2261.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, fox said:

>is it possible to improve the heatsink?

That's what I've been wondering. I'm going to find out when I make copper heat sinks...eventually.

I got a fairly thick stainless steel bread pan I'm going to melt copper in. Saw the 'loaf' in half and cold-work the cubes into shape, etc, etc. If they lower the temperatures even 5C I'd say it's worth the time.

im not even sure if your joking or serious lol..

2 hours ago, thePiratePimp said:

When you put in an after market 80mm you have to do a couple of things to make it fit, here’s a good video on that:

https://youtu.be/skDQq42uS5o

Also, some people have been known to put fans on the CPU/GPU like the Iceberq 4 Pro. They are a couple of other fans that fit as well, but those are the best one, only problem is finding them, and when you do, they’ll usually cost about $40USD each.

1ff91d170cce3f7969ce142c87eb2261.jpg

but does it improve anything? or would it hardly be noticeable . thats what i wonder

• Haha 1

but does it improve anything? or would it hardly be noticeable . thats what i wonder

Some people say yes, some people don’t think it’s enough to justify. Some people just like all of the pretty lights. I think I’m in the last group. But I haven’t done it YET, so once I do I’ll share my personal thoughts.

• Like 1

i must say my v1.0 seems faster, cooler and more stable than the v1.2, could x2 bios be better then ind? or could it be the cpu cooler? or is it just in my head

You said you cleaned and reposted the CPU/GPU right? I’m sure that helps a little. MS didn’t exactly use the best paste 17 years ago.

The bios are individual preference for sure, different folks swear by each of them.

I would also re-paste any components that used it. I know the thermal paste on my gaming laptop doesn't last more than a year or so before it dries out and I start to see temperatures rise. That's the first place where a heat transfer occurs, and the biggest fan in the world won't do much good if the paste is garbage...and it probably is after nearly two decades.

>im not even sure if your joking or serious lol..

No, it's been my plan all year, but I'm a busy person. Making copper heat sinks from solid castings shouldn't be difficult, especially if they're annealed first. I'm used to messing with hot metal and making stuff in my blacksmithing work. Most of the job would just be filing and polishing.

I know this all doesn't help you but I'm just saying.

I'm really curious how they'll perform. I've never seen modders try solid copper sinks, except those "iceberg" models I think. But those don't have a lot of mass that I can see.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

One easy thing to do that will drop temps is cut the metal shielding on the sides and behind the fan to help with air flow. If you do that and re-do the thermal paste you'll see a noticeable drop in temps. Bump the fan speed to 30%-40% to help.

IMG_0840.JPG

Edited by Nextelhalo
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, leokendall said:

I did a fan swap.  Put the stock back in.  Better cooling with the stock one.  Around 54 ido with 80mm.  50 with stock.  Speed set on 20.  Didn't hear a difference in sound.  80mm fan was a f8 arctic.

That's what a lot of people find

I swapped the CPU heat sink for a slightly longer one.

I had to trim 5mm off the length and it's been drilled and tapped so it is held to the main board with screws

IMG_20191218_113405-Copy(1).thumb.jpg.23adc03cdaf5babed54f8cbbaa898775.jpg  IMG_20191218_113813-Copy(1).thumb.jpg.d23cb90cd39ff6b4a52401a5f7c62e30.jpg

Was it worth the effort maybe I got a 5c drop in temps with the stock fan on 20%.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1