OGXbox.com

Possible Broken Softmod

Deep fri

So last night I tried to install JCrockys softmod using Splinter Cell but I think I installed it over the top of my current softmod... So originally I softmodded my xbox with JCrockys softmod but I upgraded my HDD... I used heXEn 2018 disc to format and install my new drive which all worked but I wanted to put JCrockys back on because he seems to be keeping all his stuff up to date and when I did the dashboard was failing to load and I could only boot from a disc.

Is there a way I can wipe and clean install JCrockys sofmod, if so, how? And will I need to copy over some things to my computer before I continue?

FYI its a 1.4 Halo Special Edition Xbox which has been TSOP flashed with EvoX M8+ Custom Bios. I'm completely new to Xbox modding and I don't completely understand the foundations on how all this stuff works yet so I apologize if this is a very easy fix

10 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

If you have M8plus BIOS flashed to the TSOP you do not need to install JCRocky5's softmod. 

Do one or the other modding methods - hard or soft, not both!

Oh right, so the custom Bios allows me to do everything the softmod would? So how would I go about installing JCrockys dashboard and installing all his settings that his softmod exploit would Install? Again sorry if this all sounds stupid I'm just trying to understand

Which particular settings does his softmod install that you speak of?

Install UnleashX dashboard.  If you want the Xbox Softmodding Tool skin, you can install it and change to it under the System-> Settings->Skins menu. (There are 3 skins in the archive - for UnleashX and Evoxdash standard definition display and UnleashX widescreen display)

Edited by KaosEngineer

2 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

Which particular settings does his softmod install that you speak of?

Install UnleashX dashboard.  If you want the Xbox Softmodding Tool skin, you can install it and change to it under the System-> Settings->Skins menu. (There are 3 skins in the archive - for UnleashX, Evoxdash and UnleashX widescreen)

From watching his videos he spoke about tweaking the unleashX dashboard settings and has fixed a few bugs? I could be mistaken? I aslo plan to use his emustation for xbmc and he mentioned it is made to work with his dashboard installation, maybe I'm just overthinking this?

3 hours ago, Deep fri said:

I aslo plan to use his emustation for xbmc and he mentioned it is made to work with his dashboard installation, maybe I'm just overthinking this?

I think so.

He does have a patched default.xbe for UnleashX version 0.39.0528A Build 584 that fixes an FTP server bug when used with FileZilla.  For some reason, there's extra timestamp text mixed into the root directory listing the drive letters making it impossible to double-click on then to browse the files inside.  You have to key in the drive letter in the remote path box (e.g.,  /C/, /F/) to see the files contained.  Once inside the drive folder, double-clicking folder names to browse works as expected.

2 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

I think so.

He does have a patched default.xbe for UnleashX version 0.39.0528A Build 584 that fixes an FTP server bug when used with FileZilla.  For some reason, there's extra timestamp text mixed into the root directory listing the drive letters making it impossible to double-click on then to browse the files inside.  You have to key in the drive letter in the remote path box (e.g.,  /C/, /F/) to see the files contained.  Once inside the drive folder, double-clicking folder names to browse works as expected.

Thanks a bunch for getting back to me about all this, it might not seem like much to you but its helping me get my head around it!

Yeah okay, well I haven't actually had any issues with FileZilla I was using it yesterday, I actually managed to reinstall the dashboards which seems to have fixed them not loading on boot.

Do you think I should just format the drive and start from scratch with JCrockys boot disc, install the dashboards then set up emustation? I mean just to make sure I haven't left any softmod files or anything on the drive? And the eeprom folder, should I have a backup copy of that on my computer?

1 minute ago, KaosEngineer said:

If it's working, no need to start over.  

You should backup the eeprom.bin file to your PC/computer.

Okay no worries, I'll make sure to copy that over!

Ill have to wait until I'm home from work before I can start setting up emustation. I plan to add some LED lighting and do a few case mods to this too so once its all done ill be sure to post it up!

You wouldn't happen to know about setting the menu's up with pretty videos and pics would you? JCrockys video mentioned something about the media files having to be RessurectionXtras or it won't automatically load them in? Managed to find a torrent which had what I assume was pictures, videos and details on each game for basically every system except Xbox. Is this something that would be better compiled myself or is there an easy download that will save me any time?

58 minutes ago, rshank223 said:

No need for softmod if you're tsop flashed, it's the dashboard you're after I suppose?

Yeah I believe so, I was under the impression the only thing the TSOP did was allow for any HDD to be used but everything else was still controlled by the softmod. (Clearly I thought wrong)

I'd like to get his dashboard installed yes although I will eventually be setting up xbmc emustation and plan on using that as my main dashboard at a later stage

Okay so I've tried basically everything I can to make this drive work again, im not too concerned about the HDD itself but I think ive corrupted my BIOS or something by installing JCrockys softmod again, when I boot from disc sometimes it will not boot and instead the lights flash different colors like JCrockys softmod does when you install that and it wont boot at all when the lights flash, Ive tried to reflash the TSOP but it says it cant find C:\BIOS, ive created the folder but it still wont flash, I tried to rebuild my disc with heXEn but the install failed, at this point I've basically given up. I do still have my original drive from when i softmodded that if that can help me, I also have a 500GB IDE drive coming in the mail too... please if anyone could help me that would be much appreciated

26 minutes ago, Deep fri said:

Okay so I've tried basically everything I can to make this drive work again, im not too concerned about the HDD itself but I think ive corrupted my BIOS or something by installing JCrockys softmod again, when I boot from disc sometimes it will not boot and instead the lights flash different colors like JCrockys softmod does when you install that and it wont boot at all when the lights flash, Ive tried to reflash the TSOP but it says it cant find C:\BIOS, ive created the folder but it still wont flash, I tried to rebuild my disc with heXEn but the install failed, at this point I've basically given up. I do still have my original drive from when i softmodded that if that can help me, I also have a 500GB IDE drive coming in the mail too... please if anyone could help me that would be much appreciated

If using my softmod you will need to disable the shadowc, load the extras disc and do it then copy your bios to C:\bios\ and flash away with gentoox or xblashos

24 minutes ago, Rocky5 said:

If using my softmod you will need to disable the shadowc, load the extras disc and do it then copy your bios to C:\bios\ and flash away with gentoox or xblashos

Hey my dude! Just wanted to say thanks for all the hard work with all those videos and your development!

When I disable shadowC I cannot access the drive with file explorer, it doesn't even show C at all... I have your extras disc but my xbox is flashed with evoX M8+ (which I then installed your softmod after which I believe is causing some sort of conflict) Ive tried installing programs with your disc and heXEn but they will not load from the HDD

Edited by Deep fri

5 minutes ago, Rocky5 said:

Yeah you can’t have a softmod installed and a modded bios. So you will need to remove the softmod. ( clean the C partition )

Is there a way to partition the drive without installing XBpartitioner1.3 to the HDD, ive installed it to E and C drive and I cannot launch it, the screen goes to load then takes me back to the dashboard. It was working before I partitioned it last time, although, I've only left myself with E and C after the partitioning, could this also be an issue? Do you need to have like 5 partitions on the one drive?

Put XBP on the root of E ( it’s just an xbe file ) run it via a file manager using one of the discs or if running unleashx launch it via a raw site command. 

Site exec “path the xbe file”

now partition your drive proerply, C and E shouldn’t need touching since it’s onky the extra partitions that every have issues with cluster sizes. 

Also what dashboard is it you’re wanting to install?

8 minutes ago, Rocky5 said:

Put XBP on the root of E ( it’s just an xbe file ) run it via a file manager using one of the discs or if running unleashx launch it via a raw site command. 

now partition your drive proerply, C and E shouldn’t need touching since it’s onky the extra partitions that every have issues with cluster sizes. 

I plan to use your xbmc emustation at a later date, is it easier to use your dashboard or unleashX?

When you say put it on the root of E, does your disc do this when you select to install it? Fairly certain ive tried this and it won't launch, although when I get home from work ill attempt to give it a try and see if it will work!

12 hours ago, Rocky5 said:

So I gave this a go, and XBpartitioner refuses to load, I've got it on every drive and have even attempted to launch it from USB, when I previously partitioned my drive and formatted, could I have removed something needed to launch these applications?

Basically the screen goes blue then boots back to the dash and nothing happens.

Noob here.

This thread is fascinating to me. I'm in the process of getting exposure to all this, and its helpful but confusing. I'm trying to bullet point the steps and procedures to modding an Xbox, to get my head around it. Would like to plan it out to avoid conflicts etc.

Thanks to all for sharing your knowledge. What a sharp community here!

• Like 1

So I managed to fix the issue (whatever it was)

I plugged my old HDD back into the xbox, reflashed EvoX m8+, cleaned the C partition and then built a new disc using heXEn

I spliced a power supply cable into my current power supply and cloned my old HDD back to my current using chimp and she is back to normal

Edited by Deep fri