OGXbox.com

Hi, Been Away for 10+ Years

Neo

Hi, I've had a couple of modded Xboxes for more than 10 years (maybe 15???).  Recently heard about the clock capacitor issue so I opened up my xbox and saw the scene is still going on.  I'm thinking now about upgrading to a larger HDD via IDE/SATA adapter. Do I need to worry about what BIOS or hardware I have to take full advantage of it?  I'm running X2 4976.02 BIOS, and I guess the easiest thing is to take Hexen 2018 and flash it to a newer BIOS?  any recommendations?  I don't even remember if I have to worry about 512kb vs 1mb bios, and what that means (could I brick the Xbox?)

Any tips? :)

Yes, you could brick the Xbox.  However, there are methods to recover most mistakes.  They just take a bit more hardware and software to recover.

The BIOS needs to be updated, the latest to use in no order of preference are:

- M8plus [LBA48 config 67 with EVTool as on Hexen 2018 installer disc] (size: 256KB)
- x2 4983.67 (size: 256KB)
- X2 5035 (size: 512KB)
- iND-BiOS 5003.67 (size: 256KB)
- iND-BiOS Beta Feb-11-05.67 [aka 5004] (size: 256KB)

You need to make sure the size of the BIOS fits the bank size of your modchip. (256KB BIOS's can/will be flashed 2 times one after the other to fill a 512KB bank.) Some only support 1 256KB BIOS, others have 4 256KB banks, 2-512KB banks or a variety of different bank sizes of 256KB, 512KB, 1MB (X3 modchip bIOS 3294), or 2MB (no BIOS of this size was ever released).

Which modchip is installed in these consoles?

SATA HDD Upgrade Items

Compatible IDE-to-SATA adapter:

- HDE is cheapest but you need to buy several to make sure you get one that works. (Poor Quality Control), or
- StarTech IDE2SAT2 or other Marvell 88SA8052 bridge controller-based adapter (more expensive but you get what you pay for)

High-speed 80-wire 40-pin IDE cable

SATA HDD up to 2TB

Edited by KaosEngineer

36 minutes ago, Neo said:

Thanks!  I actually don’t think I have a mod chip installed. Does that mean it is a soft mod?  Basically I took my mod chip and used it to overwrite my bios on the motherboard. Does that sound right?

Which modchip was it?  I don't know of many or any that allowed flashing the TSOP after booting the BIOS from the modchip.

I don’t remember any of that tbh. Is there a way to easily tell?  Maybe hexen dvd has tools that will let me know. 

That said would it be safe to just try overwriting the bios with the indbios?  The 256kb size should fit on my tsop and risk of bricking should be small right ?  (Its a 1.0 fwiw)

Assuming that works I should just be able to add the hard drive and ide sata adapter. Btw thanks for the list of items above!

I'd check which TSOP chip is on the motherboard and verify the Xbox model number first.

Softmodded

Is there a 21585554 subfolder in E:\UDATA?

Or a game save for 007: Agent Under Fire, Mech Assault, or Splinter Cell with the name Linux?

There could be a SIDx (4 or 5) installer game save listed in the MS dashboard's Memory menu listing for the Hard Disk drive.

TSOP re-Flash Modded

Solder bridges made to enable flashing the memory chip.

Hardmodded

A modchip is installed on the Xbox motherboard that connects to the LPC Debug port.

Edited by KaosEngineer

There is no 2158554 folder. I do have a mech assault and splinter cell save. I could have soft nodded then upgraded to a tsop flash. The reason why I think I might have done that is that I do have a 120gb js in it already.  If it were soft modded that wouldn’t be possible right?