Welcome to our site

Take a moment to join us. You can sign in with Facebook with a couple of clicks. No need for a lengthy registration. We also have Tapatalk support so you can use this forum on your phone the same way you use facebook. It will keep you notified.

Sign in to follow this  
cOrPsE

Hexen Will Not Load No Matter What

So I have been helping a friend fix his xbox. We got the xbox flashed and modchip working good thanks to someone making a custom flashbios to support that chip. Whats so weird is Hexen will not load no  matter what. From the HDD or the Disk drive. The xbox reads burnt disks of the same disk type/brand. Samsung drive. Right now, if you hit the eject button, the xbox boots modchip bios (evo m8 67). The xbox is a 1.1. On the non-modchip mode which is active when you power on the xbox normally, flashbios reads something weird "MODCHIP but retail bios 4817". Also doesnt seem to be able to be flashed. Never know though. The modchip is a AppleX-III so it only supports 1 256k bios. So I think when its off, it reads bios from TSOP but is in passive mode or something? Anyway its annoying. As I said burnt games work, regular games work(on both bios), and hexen reads in a different xbox. The xbox is PAL converted to NTSC but so is the xbox we tested the disk on.

"stock" bios

Please login or register to see this link.

Edited by cOrPsE

HeXEn should always boot from the HDD. You have to launch it from root.xbe though, not default.xbe.

When it comes to DVD drives though, some can have trouble launching HeXEn, even if they work fine otherwise. Nothing you can do about it.

1 hour ago, Forlorn Penguin said:

HeXEn should always boot from the HDD. You have to launch it from root.xbe though, not default.xbe.

When it comes to DVD drives though, some can have trouble launching HeXEn, even if they work fine otherwise. Nothing you can do about it.

Would Hexen crash/not load if i didnt recognize a bios or chip? I will try launching from root.xbe though thanks!

29 minutes ago, cOrPsE said:

Would Hexen crash/not load if i didnt recognize a bios or chip?

The only reasons a BIOS should fail to boot HeXEn is if it's a stock Xbox, or a softmodded Xbox with a fucked up softmod. And that wouldn't even have anything to do with HeXEn, it would just be because a stock Xbox can't boot burned media.

The issue has to be the DVD drive.

2 hours ago, Forlorn Penguin said:

The only reasons a BIOS should fail to boot HeXEn is if it's a stock Xbox, or a softmodded Xbox with a fucked up softmod. And that wouldn't even have anything to do with HeXEn, it would just be because a stock Xbox can't boot burned media.

The issue has to be the DVD drive.

So it doesnt load from even modchip mode. EvoX m8plus 67 bios. The dash is directed to E:\UnleashX\default.xbe on the bios. Loads other burnt games, and regular games. However hexen does what ive explained. With the chip off, the bios comes up as what it shows in the first post. The significance is that it shows retail bios but modchip? Weird. We tried 2 diff drives but one is very fucked up.

10 hours ago, cOrPsE said:

WOW it was the DVD drive. Tried 2 DVD drives and both read burnt games, 3rd one worked. SO weird.

It's pretty common, actually. Xbox DVD drives are pretty awful.

• Like 1