OGXbox.com

Unlocking Original XBox Hd

GrumpyGuy27

• 1 month later...

i just got my system modded. i did the "pull the power plug from the dvd drive method" i was able to use the xplorer360 to pull the stock files off the drive, but could never get them to transfer back using that program. i then tried the using xboxhdm1.9 to rewrite the drive. it showed as locked with the plug pull method. i then went to PiPROM for the raspberry pi and followed those steps. i used a large paper clip in the LPC holes (because i cant solder to save my life) and salvaged some hd and pwr plugs out of an old computer case to use to hook to the pie ports. i was able to then make a back of the eeprom and extract the hd lock code. that then allowed me to unlock and use the xboxhdm1.9 to rebuild the drive. it took me well over 24 hours to get this done. i dont know linux and really had a tough time. 

this was a pain in the ass.  i would honestly just spend the money on the splinter cell game or what ever works and do it that way. if i had not had a raspberry pi i would have been screwed.

On 10/25/2018 at 6:20 PM, GrumpyGuy27 said:

I have heard that if you pull the power plug on the DVD drive, when you start up the Xbox you get error 12.  Is this unlocking the HD?  If you then unplug the HD, both power and the IDE cable to plug into a PC does this relock the HD?

When power cycles or the IDE bus resets, the HDD will again be locked.  

You have to hotswap, leave power connected to the HDD, and change the IDE connection from the Xbox to a running PC.  The PC cannot be rebooted as it'll reset the IDE bus once again locking the HDD.

The only way to keep it unlocked is to remove the locking password.  However, a softmodded system requires the HDD to be LOCKED to work.

If you have a copy of the EEPROM saved after softmodding, you can use XboxHDM23USB Beta 2 or 3 to unlock and relock the HDD. 

As configured, XboxHDM23USB requires the Xbox HDD to be connected to the PC via a USB-to-HDD interface (IDE and/or SATA) adapter.  (The PC and Xbox's grounds need to be tied together as the Xbox's ground floats - no Earth ground on the Xbox's AC power cord like the PC has.)

Edited by KaosEngineer