OGXbox.com

Dev Box Eeprom Challenges

AlaskaCC

A fellow Xbox fan requested that I put an X3 modchip in his Dev Box so he can use all 128M of RAM, although we had a conversation about the limited library.  He wants the modchip  instead of a simple TSOP.  I have the mainboard and drive working.  It boots to the MS clock/calendar initially.  After setting the time I am able to see 3 standard menu options: Memory, Music and Settings.  Clearly it has not been updated to include Live.  The only game save is Revolt (Microsoft ATG).  

It will not play a game but gives this message: "You need to connect the DVD Playback Kit receiver to a controller port to watch movies.  Remove the disc to continue."  I have a brand new DVD Playback Kit so I put it in.  No luck.  Tried a movie DVD.  Still the same message.

I pulled the EEPROM using PonyProg.  It looks okay although it will not load into LiveInfo.  ConfigMagic also rejects it.  I have looked through the raw edit of the EEPROM but am not sure what to look for.  This one seems like it is above my pay grade!  I am hoping for another perspective on it.  I must be missing something here but don't know what it is.

Any help?

Thanks. 

A Dev Kit already supports the entire 128MB of RAM with it's BIOS. 

To run retail games, there's an app to allow you to run them from the devkit's dashboard.  I'll have to see if I can find it again as my HDD croaked with a majority of my Xbox modding files. 

Finally received the USB serial-to-TTL level adapter to try and repair the drive as I've found others have done.

Can you PM me a copy of the EEPROM file?

Edited by KaosEngineer
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Finally received the USB serial-to-TTL level adapter to try and repair the drive as I've found others have done.

buddy, could you share a bit more details on that, what is getting broke in the drive, so such adapter is needed for repair?

never heard this, just curious.

Edited by neighbor

1 hour ago, neighbor said:

buddy, could you share a bit more details on that, what is getting broke in the drive, so such adapter is needed for repair?

never heard this, just curious.

This adapter is for my Windows PC's HDD, not an Xbox HDD fix/mod.

There's supposedly a bug in the firmware that when it glitches causes the drive to report a size of 0 blocks. During POST, the PC BIOS won't recognize the drive so Windows can use it.  The BIOS sees the drive brand/model/serial number/etc; however, It has 0 blocks accessible and won't set it up for the OS to access it.

A majority of the Xbox Tools I've downloaded over several years are on that HDD.  

Seagate SATA drives have a serial port accessible on 3 pins of the header next to the SATA connector:

RX, TX and GND.

This serial port allows Seagate to communicate with the drive's firmware.  Some people have found a few proprietary (secret) commands to reinitialize the drive so it once again is seen with the correct size by the PC's BIOS with the data intact.

Edited by KaosEngineer

24 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

There's supposedly a bug in the firmware that when it glitches causes the drive to report a size of 0 blocks. During POST, the PC BIOS won't recognize the drive so Windows can use it.  The BIOS sees the drive brand/model/serial number/etc; however, It has 0 blocks accessible and won't set it up for the OS to access it.

got you, so you intend to flash HDD firmware?

Edited by neighbor

16 minutes ago, neighbor said:

got you, so you intend to flash HDD firmware?

No, I just want to get the drive operational again. Copy the content ASAP to a new HDD as recommended before the glitch occurs again. Not sure if there's a firmware update fix available for this non-problem per Seagate. I hope to issue the secret command I found for this series of drive model's firmware to rebuild the platter structure.  Once it finishes, the drive once again POSTS with the correct size and allows access to the files stored on this 3TB drive as it was prior to the hiccup.  

Edited by KaosEngineer