OGXbox.com

128mb Mod

pjhcast

24 minutes ago, oleost said:

Wonder why everyone use soldering iron to solder on these chips.

Should think that hot air soldering with liquid solder paste applied would be easier?

the couple ive done didnt warrant any investment,
the whole fun of this console for me has been accessibility (low cost, great for beginners)

so it never warranted any sort of investment, but i will say, removal with my heat gun was alot easier. (not sure id be doing any soldering with this heat gun, i think the intended purpose is for scraping paint or something, blows hard with little accuracy)

7 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Most hot air soldering stations have airflow and temperature regulation not found on a hot air gun.  The two are completely different devices.

yes they are,

i kinda figured the hot air soldering stations would be too pricey. but there seem to be (like most other things) accessibly priced units on amazon/ebay.

https://www.amazon.ca/THEE-Durable-Display-Soldering-Station/dp/B079M3C228/ref=asc_df_B079M1WSLD/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=292953024923&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1808081472911018669&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9001157&hvtargid=pla-492971119325&th=1
seems cheap, i wonder how it would work. likely a ton better than the mammoth paint scraper ive used in the past. i just happened to have that cheap air gun form another project. and it did the trick. but for the future this actually looks rather nice.

beside the point, pjhcast does nice work. check this

im nervous to split the TSOP!! i'd like to try it with a chip as the secondary....