OGXbox.com

Should XBoX V1.1 Tsop Flash Via Evoxdash or Gentoox or HeXEn?

XPeter

Hi, All Xbox Mod Experts

Currently the SpiderChip on my Xbox v1.1 doesn't work very stable (likely because of its solderless type). 

Hence, I am planning to TSOP with X2 5035.  However, my Xbox's DVD is faulty and unable to read any CD/DVD (including original DVD).   So I think I have to flash TSOP from HDD.    All the tutorial I managed to find is to use HeXEn DVD.  However, I noticed that in HeXEn TSOP tutorial,  if the Xbox has WinBond TSOP, it will load and flash via Gentoox,  For non-WinBond, it will flash through normal EvoxDashboard.  

Thus, for my Xbox (v1.1) with faulty DVDROM, instead of HeXEn DVD,   can I flash the TSOP directly through either Evox Dashboard or Gentoox?  and if it is possible, which method would be more safe and successful ?

Thanks in advance

Peter 

Edited by XPeter

You can use XBlast OS v0.56 to flash the TSOP. It will work regardless of which brand the TSOP is. Make sure you also place an x2config.ini file on the root of the E partition too though if you're gonna use X2 5035.

However once the TSOP is flashed, you're gonna need some way to remove the softmod from the C partition, otherwise it will create a conflict with the new BIOS and you'll just see a black screen after the boot animation.

On 9/23/2018 at 11:24 PM, Forlorn Penguin said:

However once the TSOP is flashed, you're gonna need some way to remove the softmod from the C partition, otherwise it will create a conflict with the new BIOS and you'll just see a black screen after the boot animation.

Thanks for the advice !!  ^_^

Currently,  my xbox situation is a little complicated with faulty DVD-ROM. :(

My xbox is using Spiderchip + Unlockable 40G HDD (migrated from Original 8G HDD),  Since Original 8G HDD is softmoded, I believe the 40G HDD is softmoded too.  However, the 40G softmod HDD is not working for the xbox because it can't be locked..  That is reason why i have to use the modchip. to bypass the HDD lockcheck for the 40G HDD.

In this case, I don't think I can use the 40G HDD for TSOP flash purpose, as it is not lockable. Instead,  I have to use the 8G HDD.   Nevertheless,  I don't want to lose the softmod for the 8G HDD, which will serve as the base HDD for any future HDD softmod migration purpose in case the modchip spoiled. 

So my plan is,  first, use modchip to remove the 40G HDD softmod,  then TSOP flash with 8G HDD, then put back the 40G HDD (with no softmod) 

Will this work?

What concern me the most is whether i could completely removed the softmod from 40G HDD,  as my softmod is of very old type (more than 12 years, can't remember how I exactly i did ),   I am wondering if there is a manual way to remove the softmod decently?

Thanks in advance :)

Edited by XPeter

On 9/26/2018 at 12:53 PM, KaosEngineer said:

You can't - easily - TSOP flash after booting the Xbox from a modchip.  Any flash operation will write to the modchip.

Apology for my earlier long story, which may lead some confusion.  I summarize my plan as following 3 steps

1.   Use Modchip to Uninstall Softmod from 40G HDD

2.  Remove Modchip,  and TSOP flash with 8G HDD (softmoded)

3.  TSOP working with 40G HDD (no softmod inside)

My big big concern is how to remove softmod from 40G HDD without losing data.  It should have very old softmod type inside.    Not sure those modern softmod uninstaller will work on it.   I don't mind any manual removal method, if data can be kept.

Peter

Edited by XPeter

I'd first try to upgrade the softmod using Rocky5's Quick Upgrade.zip package.  It's found in his Xbox Softmodding Tool repository under the Installer Variants folder.

First, backup all data on the C and E drive partitions of the Xbox's HDD using FTP to download the files.

Edited by KaosEngineer
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

I'd first try to upgrade the softmod using Rocky5's Quick Upgrade.zip package.  It's found in his Xbox Softmodding Tool repository under the Installer Variants folder.

First, backup all data on the C and E drive partitions of the Xbox's HDD using FTP to download the files.

Thanks so much, KaosEngineer !  :769_heart:

I don't know Softmod is upgradable .  

I will definitely give a trial when I have more available time :D

Peter

• Like 1

Over the weekend,  My Xbox was nearly bricked.  :S

I soldered my Xbox for TSOP, meanwhile removed the Clock/Battery Capacitor.  Turn it on, everything appeared normal with a 120G HDD (same softmod as 40G,  NOT use the 120G because got bad sectors).   As the Evox Flash Menu is not uncommented in the evox.ini yet,   I decided to go ahead with Gentoox Flash with X2 5035 BIOS (512k).  The flash process went smooth with both Yellow and Green Bar completed.    However, When the Xbox restarted, it green on for 1 sec, then off  then followed by FRAG. 

I searched around for solution to recovery the TSOP, during which I read from one forum that "Evox Flash will mirror BIOS in all TSOP Bank, whereas Gentoox NOT".  So I guess the GRAG is due to BIOS mis-Match among different banks in the TSOP.   Personally I am a bit upset for the fact that,  I saw quite number of forum thread (or even Youtube),  warning NOT to flash large bios size onto small TSOP (256k),  but not vice versa.  This is likely the HeXen disc will auto select the proper platform for flashing. 

Anyway,  based on this assumption, I guess that the TSOP is half dead because only bios mismatch, not the wrong/corrupted bios.   I managed find a forum thread discussion about how to recover TSOP from bios-mismatch using 3-wire trick

https://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1990#p18359

A18          A19         Result

Ground       Ground      256kb Bank 1
Ground       +3.3V       256kb Bank 2
+3.3V        Ground      256kb Bank 3
+3.3V        +3.3V       256kb Bank 4
Float        Ground      512kb Bank 1
Float        +3.3V       512kb Bank 2

Since the bios I flashed is X2 512k,  so the 3-wire trick doesn't work for me as it is for 256k BIOS in Bank 1.   For my case, I might need 2-wire trick based on the table above (A19 wired with Ground),  and that worked,  I can see X2 Config Load start screen.   After enter the DASH,  I disconnected the A19 to Ground,  and re-flash the TSOP with Evox Flash Tool.   My Xbox is completely back to life again :D

Thanks for all the XBOX info, tricks and discussion still available online :769_heart:

Now comes to another 3 small issues with my TSOP flashed xbox

1.   Since I flashed X2 5035,   I can run Xbox without DVD ROM with the original 8G (softmod) HDD,  120(softmod),   But NOT the 40G (softmod).   BTW, all the HDD/softmod was cloned from the 8G HDD.  But once DVDROM is connected,  the 40G HDD worked.   Is it because the 40G HDD is unlockable ?

2. The ISO Kernel Patch seems NOT working with X2 5035 BIOS.  The game image is loaded the D: drive,  but unable to run,  it simply just return to Dash.

3. I also tried the IND-BIOS,  but its Start Animation (the first 3 seconds) is very lagging/stuttering. However, this was not happening,  when I flashed it into My Spider Modchip.    Yet, though it was stuttering, I noticed the overall timing from power-on to DASH is faster with TSOP than Modchip.    B|  interesting !

Does anyone have any idea of these?   Thanks in advance !

Peter

Edited by XPeter