OGXbox.com

1.0 No Sound Output, Different Av Cable Didn't Help

ultracade

Do you have an AV adapter cable to check the optical digital audio output?

5b9e2d2c41dca_XboxAnalogAudioBlockDiagram.png.790658583825a5df977a91faa592fcb6.png

The audio comes from the MCPX chip and is sent to a WM9709 audio DAC to a low-pass filter to the AVIP port pins 2 Right Audio out and 4 Right Audio ground along with pins 3 Left Audio out and 5 Left Audio ground. LRMR3ut.png

Trace back the signal paths of these output signals to the Filter/Amplifier Coupling Network then back to the WM9709 Audio DAC.

Search for datasheets to determine each pin's function of each integrated circuit (IC) used along the audio output paths - left and right.

I'm assuming both channels are out, correct?  If so, a loss of the clock to load data from the MCPX's digital audio outputs into the audio DAC for conversion to analog audio will cease.

Edited by KaosEngineer

Thank you for your reply, it is very helpful. Yes, both L and R analog channels have no output.

Great idea to try the digital output. -.I soldered in a coaxial cable to AVIP points 6 and 24 and it does have output sound over digital coaxial. I'm assuming this means the analog problem lies with the Filter/Amplifier Coupling Network, the WM9709, or the associated traces?

I have found the WM IC on the board but I'm still searching for the Filter/Amp.

Trace the analog DAC outputs to the input of the filter/amp op-amp and/or the analog AVIP outputs back to the filter/amp output.

WM9709 pin 16 Line_Out_Left and pin 17 Line_out_Right.

Line_out_right gets to pin 3 and line_out_left to pin 5 of the op-amp after each passing through a capacitor and a couple of resistors.

The op-amp, an LM358 IC, used in the filter/amp outputs are pin 1 Right, pin 7 Left but there's more circuitry after the op-amp output to capacitively couple the audio outputs to the AVIP connector and possibly passes through some ESD protection.

Edited by KaosEngineer