Welcome to our site

Take a moment to join us. You can sign in with Facebook with a couple of clicks. No need for a lengthy registration. We also have Tapatalk support so you can use this forum on your phone the same way you use facebook. It will keep you notified.

Guilleack

My Og XBox Won't Turn On.

Hi people, i bought an softmoded OG Xbox a couple of months ago with an 80GB Ide hard drive. I wasn't able to use it because i needed to get an Voltage converter (v220 to v110, 300W) and i wasn't able to test it untill now. During that time i replaced the thermal paste following some tutorials and cleaned the upper case. Now that i have the converter the console won't turn on. It doesn't make any noise. I checked the capacitors and all of them seem to be alright (Flat on the top and no leaking) and i tried with a different power cable and nothing. Thanks for your time.

Here are some pics of the console.

Please login or register to see this link.

Edited by Guilleack
Add images

It does look clean. 

Do you have a volt meter ? 

I would if you can test the ouputs on the powersupply. Obviously being very careful as the whole thing is nor shielded etc.

There are pin outs showing what volts should be present where etc.

yours is one of the later psu types with a similar plug to a computer. 

Before that though check the solder on the back of the psu, especially where the mains connector is as the solder cracks under load and use, if there are cracks you just need to resolder it to get rid of the cracks etc.

It could be as simple as that., obviously it helps if you have more than one Xbox to play with for testing bits.

Where are you based there may be a member near by who could help etc.

13 hours ago, big F said:

It does look clean. 

Do you have a volt meter ? 

I would if you can test the ouputs on the powersupply. Obviously being very careful as the whole thing is nor shielded etc.

There are pin outs showing what volts should be present where etc.

yours is one of the later psu types with a similar plug to a computer. 

Before that though check the solder on the back of the psu, especially where the mains connector is as the solder cracks under load and use, if there are cracks you just need to resolder it to get rid of the cracks etc.

It could be as simple as that., obviously it helps if you have more than one Xbox to play with for testing bits.

Where are you based there may be a member near by who could help etc.

Thanks for your reply!

I have a multimeter, i'll check it out.

Here is a pic of the back of the psu, seems to be in good shape.

The problem is that i don't know if i should refund the Voltage Converter or the problem is on the Xbox.

eO06zMs.jpg

A different tac on this might be to try a correct voltage psu for the box. Someone on here is bound to have a spare that they could mail to you. That way you are running it with out the voltage convertor and if indeed it is the cause youll know fairly instantly.

Im guessing that as you are going 220 to 110 you are in the states in which case there are quite a few users on that side of the pond.

I contacted a friend of my dad that is the electrical technician of his work to test the converter and he said that the converter was working.properly. Could it be that the power button is not working?

12 hours ago, big F said:

A different tac on this might be to try a correct voltage psu for the box. Someone on here is bound to have a spare that they could mail to you. That way you are running it with out the voltage convertor and if indeed it is the cause youll know fairly instantly.

Im guessing that as you are going 220 to 110 you are in the states in which case there are quite a few users on that side of the pond.

Unfortunately i live on the other side of the continet (Argentina) here the power outlets have 220v i learned that the hard way with an imported Xbox 360 (Toasted the power suply).

So basically you need a uk spec powersupply, as they are 220/240v

that said it could be the power button. You  could test it with a mulitmeter.

there is a way to put a normal atx pc psu onto an xbox. So you could look at that. 

Its not as simple as just plugging in though.

41 minutes ago, big F said:

So basically you need a uk spec powersupply, as they are 220/240v

that said it could be the power button. You  could test it with a mulitmeter.

there is a way to put a normal atx pc psu onto an xbox. So you could look at that. 

Its not as simple as just plugging in though.

Can you point out where i should place the multimeter to test the power button?

Sorry that i ask so much, this is my first Xbox and i have no clue on how to proceed.

Thanks!

Well i tried the psu with a multimeter and it gives 3.3 on the black and brown wires, but as long as i just put one of the multimeter lead, if i put both leads on different cables it gives 0, This means that the PSU is fine? (Someone on reddit recomended me to test this)

Here is a pic of the back of the board, i saw some people saying that they had corrosion and cleaning it fixed the problem but mine seems clean.

IMG_20180915_063350.jpg

Check for continuity of the power control signal trace from the front panel connector to the PIC processor. 5b9d6e92cd25f_PowerEjectRedGreenControlSignals.thumb.jpg.b1cbb382c3ff8aa937e02f40b6d3139f.jpg

If that thin trace is cracked/corroded/broken, the Xbox will not power on as the signal never reaches the System Management Controller (SMC) to tell the power supply to power up all the voltage rails.

I can't make out those 4 traces in your picture as they are so thin.

Edited by KaosEngineer

14 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Check for continuity of the power control signal trace from the front panel connector to the PIC processor. 5b9d6e92cd25f_PowerEjectRedGreenControlSignals.thumb.jpg.b1cbb382c3ff8aa937e02f40b6d3139f.jpg

If that thin trace is cracked/corroded/broken, the Xbox will not power on as the signal never reaches the System Management Controller (SMC) to tell the power supply to power up all the voltage rails.

I can't make out those 4 traces in your picture as they are so thin.

I tested the continuity as marked here and all of them seem to work.

pe_trace_12-15.jpg

I took some close up pictures of the back of the board, Should i try to clean them with isopropyl alcohol?

i found this 

Thanks!

IMG_20180916_070325.jpg

IMG_20180916_070421.jpg

IMG_20180916_064505.jpg

IMG_20180916_064803.jpg

IMG_20180916_065046.jpg

IMG_20180916_065047.jpg

IMG_20180916_065119_1.jpg

IMG_20180916_065148.jpg

It could be the Smc is broken on the psu. It’s a common thing on pc psu’s which the Xbox psu is a version of, albeit a heavily modified one. You should be able to simulate the power button press by connecting two of the cables in the multi plug. Can’t remember which ones and I’m not at home so can’t check. Basically if the psu doesn’t power up the hd and hold it powered when doing this test it will be the smc circuit on the psu. They can be replaced but most people just get a replacement psu instead.

as said there is a way to plug a pc power supply in to an Xbox, google it as iirc for the 1.4 version it’s not to hard to build the conversion lead etc. Might get you out of a hole and help you on the way etc.

Can be a problem on the switchboard mounted in the front panel too.  Verify operation of the button closure grounding the signal.

xbox_pe_schematic.png.e61d30a3b1b56e96a963fcf3ebd08fc4.png

The RED (power) line at the motherboard resistor network should go from +Vcc when the button is not pressed to 0Vdc when pressed.

Edited by KaosEngineer