OGXbox.com

How To Split/Slice Iso File

XPeter

I have a few big games (> 4GB) ripped from Game DVDs on PC by PowerISO.  But I don't know how to split or slice them into smaller ISOs.  

Does anyone happen to know any method and tools that is able to do that, so that I can FTP them to Xbox and play the smaller ISO directly from Xbox?

** (my xbox DVD ROM is too old to read most CD/DVDs nowadays, not even the newly burned HeXEn DVD)

Thanks

Peter

I don't think a PC DVD drive can RIP an original game disks XDVDFS file content.  Unless that drives a KREON drive.

NKPatcher's driveimageutils includes an Xbox app, isoripper, to rip multi-part XISOs from original game discs loaded in the Xbox's DVD drive to the Xbox's HDD.  The split is set to be less than 4GBs as that's the max. size the Xbox's FATX filesystem supports.

The driveimageutils' attach app then seamlessly mounts all the parts of the multi-part XISO stored on the Xbox's HDD as if it's an original game disc loaded in the DVD drive.

I do seem recall seeing an app to split the greater than 4GB XISO's but don't recall the name.  I'll have to look for it.

--
KaosEngineer

Update: Not finding it, I'll most likely come across it when I forget that I was looking for it.

There are lots of isotools here: https://the-eye.eu/public/xbins/XBOX/PC Based Applications/iso tools/

Edited by KaosEngineer

7 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

I don't think a PC DVD drive can RIP an original game disks XDVDFS file content.

I am sorry for not specifying this,  It is the back-up DVD, not original one.

7 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Update: Not finding it, I'll most likely come across it when I forget that I was looking for it.

There are lots of isotools here: https://the-eye.eu/public/xbins/XBOX/PC Based Applications/iso tools/

Thanks very much for the link.  I will definitely take a look at it

Peter

I happened to see a thread from xbmc4xbox forum about XISO making

https://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7262

In this thread (towards end),  Rocky5 mentioned and provided his modified xdvdfs tools, which is able to split the xiso file nicely,.  However, the download link to Google drive is dead. 

When I was about to ask Rocky5 for new link to his tools in the forum here, I was also thinking if I could find it from the Google Drive link from Rocky5's forum signature. As the link's name highlighted,  the folders/files are about Softmodding. Xbox, but when I explore its subfolder - Utilities, there is a zip file called XISO Split.zip.  I am so excited to see this, and downloaded it and managed to split my big ISO files.  Amazingly the splitted 2 ISO files are playable in my Xbox.    One important thing is, this is a GUI tool, whereby you just need to select your big ISO , and click start, the tool will do the rest for you.  This is much simple than the description in the xbmc4xbox forum.  My last hope is to wish I am able to play the splitted game towards the end.  (Currently, I am only able to run the game, and play its very beginning part.)

Thank you so much for the amazing tools, Rocky5 :D

Peter

1 hour ago, XPeter said:

(Currently, I am only able to run the game, and play its very beginning part.)

What's the problem playing the end of the game?

What happens?

You have all the files of the split ISO in the same folder.  Once mounted, they should appear as one complete game DVD, not missing any files.

Edited by KaosEngineer

8 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

What's the problem playing the end of the game?

Hi, KaoEngineer.

As I just started to play the game, so it is at beginning part.   I was just wondering whether the the 2nd ISO will be auto-mounted when the game reaches the later/end part.  

Yet,  I also very agree with what you  said,   I believe the splitted ISOs are mounted as ONE virtual disc.  Thus, the full game should be playable through out the 2 split ISOs. 

I attach the XISO Split.zip file here for whoever needs this great tools. !

Peter 

XISO Split.zip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

XISO Split is a great tool & works great for the most part, But doesn't work with games that have special characters in its title within its default.xbe. I struggled for hours with Conker: Live and Reloaded, It would create 1 empty file named Conker (No extension) & say it completed. I then realised it had a colon : in its title within the default.xbe. Im not aware of any simple/straight forward apps/tools that can rename a title within a default.xbe, But was able to do so with Qwix101. When you FTP a XISO to your XBOX with Qwix101,  It has a option to rename the title within its .xbe. I used that to remove the colon & FTP'd to the console (It doesnt let you save the edit unless you FTP it over), Then FTP'd back to PC, Created a new iso & XISO Split successfully split the iso in 2. Bit of a nightmare, But got the job done...

Edited by bifftaz

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
On 8/28/2018 at 12:13 PM, Rocky5 said:

Up to 10 split ISO files will be mounted, so you don’t even need to think about it. 

I know this is regards to an ancient post now.

The mounting may work for up to 10 files of a split XISO disc image; however, the XISO to HDD script included with XBMC4Gamers only works with 2 files for a split XISO disc image. :)

<filename>.1.iso and <filename>.2.iso, or

<filename>_1.iso and <filename>_2.iso

Edit: Not that any game takes more than 8 GBs - more accurately 2*4094 MBs.

• 11 months later...
On 6/25/2019 at 7:03 AM, bifftaz said:

XISO Split is a great tool & works great for the most part, But doesn't work with games that have special characters in its title within its default.xbe. I struggled for hours with Conker: Live and Reloaded, It would create 1 empty file named Conker (No extension) & say it completed. I then realised it had a colon : in its title within the default.xbe. Im not aware of any simple/straight forward apps/tools that can rename a title within a default.xbe, But was able to do so with Qwix101. When you FTP a XISO to your XBOX with Qwix101,  It has a option to rename the title within its .xbe. I used that to remove the colon & FTP'd to the console (It doesnt let you save the edit unless you FTP it over), Then FTP'd back to PC, Created a new iso & XISO Split successfully split the iso in 2. Bit of a nightmare, But got the job done...

@Rocky5Looks like this was never fixed?

• 4 weeks later...

You can use 7-Zip File Manager to split larger than 4GB single file XISO disc images into a set of smaller files. 

See the imgur.com album I created:

How-to use 7-Zip File Manager to split a larger than 4GB XISO file into FATX allowed size files

You will need to rename the files to fit the FATX filesystem's maximum length of 42 characters and the proper naming convention for the attach app to mount them;

• <filename>.1.iso and <filename>.2.iso, or
  • <filename>_1.iso and <filename>_2.iso
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

You can use 7-Zip File Manager to split larger than 4GB single file XISO disc images into a set of smaller files. 

See the imgur.com album I created:

How-to use 7-Zip File Manager to split a larger than 4GB XISO file into FATX allowed size files

You will need to rename the files to fit the FATX filesystem's maximum length of 42 characters and the proper naming convention for the attach app to mount them;

• <filename>.1.iso and <filename>.2.iso, or
  • <filename>_1.iso and <filename>_2.iso

Thanks, its easy enough, will try it!