OGXbox.com

Hard Drive Question

rattyjunk

Can you install a harddrive  which is unlocked and already full of xbox content and a fully Xbox ready (Dashboard installed and drive formatted) from another machine and pop it into a X3 modded console.  Will the drive need to be formatted regardless or will it see the dashboard xbe and feasibly work?

Edited by rattyjunk
tidy up question

Not very sure.   I did 2 times for my same Xbox (Softmod),  upgraded from original 8G --> 120G (Failed after 6months) ---> 40G (WD unlockable) .  As 40G WD HDD is unlockable, Xbox can't recognize it,  I have to put back my old SpiderChip in order for the 40G HDD to be read. 

Peter

Thank you for the information. I do have a sata drive and the adapter and upgraded cable but the drive doesn’t boot into the dash, instead it stays on the Xbox boot screen then I get an error 7.

Maybe it something I’ve set in the X3 live menu who knows. I guess it could be the adapter and hardrive don’t work with each other?  Could it be anything else?

Try put the HDD,  sata adapter and upgraded cable on the Xbox which used to host the HDD, see if it is working.  If it is working.   then I have to guess, it might be something wrong with the new Xbox, or X3 Chip, or you just have to reformat the HDD as last resort

Peter

On 8/19/2018 at 12:33 AM, rattyjunk said:

Can you install a harddrive  which is unlocked and already full of xbox content and a fully Xbox ready (Dashboard installed and drive formatted) from another machine and pop it into a X3 modded console.  Will the drive need to be formatted regardless or will it see the dashboard xbe and feasibly work?

It will feasibly work.  The X3 BIOS's partition settings need to match that of the HDD.

The Xbox uses fixed sector locations for the start of a partition.  Per se, there is, well was, no partition table on a stock Xbox using the standard C, E, X, Y, Z configuration.  The start and size of these partitions are fixed values in the BIOS.

Then came, ozPaulb's LBA48 patch with tools to  add support for additional fixed partitions F and G. The  starting location and sizes - F up to 137GB (stock LBA28 maximum HDD size) and G takes the rest of the drive space or F only which takes the rest of the drive space after the stock 8GB allocation.  Then, came tools like XBPartitioner v1.3 (maybe supported in earlier version too but not sure when it was added) that can write a non-stock partition table to the first sector of the HDD. Later BIOS's; M8+, iND-BiOS 5003/5004, X2 4983 (edit: oops, doesn't support LBA48 v2+), X2 5035 and possibly others; first attempt to read this partition table and if found, use it instead of their fixed LBA48 configuration.

patitiontable-small.jpg.ecf9229deafde929773d672ee41c043d.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...