OGXbox.com

OGXBOX Installer

UKXboxDad

• 2 months later...

What exactly is it you’re wanting to do with this installer disc?

1. is it going to be softmod safe? 
  2. will it work will all known softmods?
  3. will it also support TSOPPED/Chipped consoles?
  4. will you be allowing flashing bios, installing softmods eg...

I ask ask because it’s not as simple as just firing a couple apps on a disc and calling it an installer disc. This is due to people fragmenting the hell out of softmod packages back in the day and having all different bloody dashboard paths and un-standardised setups.

so you would need to cater to all these or go down the root that hexen took and just force install a new softmod so it works with its own paths, again more fragmentation :/

If you’re going down that root I would use my softmod, or at least use dashloader so every softmod dashpath is supported. 

Also if it’s going to be a hexen hybrid kinda deal, don’t for the love of god disable the shadowc partition on softmodded systems, ie, don’t use a BFM bios. There is zero reason for an installer disc to have access to this partition.

You will need to include a couple versions of UX.

Build before 572 work with FileZilla/WinSCP, builds after do not, they have a root directory issue. This is due to James migrating to the Avalaunch FTP code base.

there is a lot of thinking and planing that goes into making a disc properly, god I’m still tweeking mine nearly 4 years later lol, though is the last year or so I have changed how I done the hole process completely.

For example my extras disc will only disable the shadowc partition on my softmod, ( if you pick the option in advanced features ) if used on any other softmod it won’t disable. This is how I wanted it and designed it, as I don’t want someone breaking there softmod using my disc because they didn’t have my softmod installed.

( fun fact, I actually never disable the shadowc ;) will let you work it out on your own  )

i tried to standardise my softmod and added backward compatibility with other softmods dash paths, hence the 15 dash locations support.

Recap:

krazzie, NDURE, SID, AID and Hexen all have different dashboard paths :/ so you can see how it’s a pain in the arse to make a disc that caters to all.

Note:

the larger the config.xml the longer the disc will take to load, I would suggest if making one like hexen to split the disc into two parts, one for softmods and one for TSOP/Chips, you can use two xbe files and hexedit the config.xml name so you can have multiple version in the same folder. Have a look at my extras disc, even just use the xbe files, as I done a lot more to these xbe files than a simple hex edit.

Edited by Rocky5

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...