OGXbox.com

Time Reset After Removing Clock Cap.

RetromanIE

I recently took my old xecuter 2 modded 1.4 xbox out of storage and have replaced the drive and removed the clock cap and its working great. The only issue is if i power off for a few mins and then power on I get a blank screen and it wont boot. If i disable the mod chip and go into the normal OS its looking to set the time(fair enough as i removed the cap). Once i set the time and enable the mod chip it boots fine.

Is there a way to hard set the time so this doesn't always happen. My UnleashX front end gets the time from the internet correctly anyway.

Any help or guidance appreciated guys.

The clock cap was a PowerStor AeroGel SuperCap - rated at 1 Farad 2.5 Vdc.

It can be replaced but not of much use.  Set the clock via the Internet.  

If you prefer to replace it, go with a better quality nichicon supercap rated at 1F 2.5Vdc can be used.

PowerStor's new SuperCaps may have fixed the problem but those used in 2001-2004 for Xbox production are almost all now leaking electrolyte on the Xbox's motherboard destroying it.

Once the time is set, the cap is not needed as long as you don't unplug AC power from the console.  When AC is unplugged and no SuperCap is present, the real-time clock will instantly lose its value.

BIOS 

Which BIOS is currently flashed to your modchip?

There are several BIOSes available to fix the clock loop problem.  The latest BIOS versions available are: 

M8plus (256KB)
X2 4983 (256KB)
X2 5035 (512KB)
iND-BiOS 5003 (256KB)
iND-BiOS Beta Feb-11-05 - aka 5004 (256KB)

Note: Required modchip bank size in parentheses.

Some of these BIOSes come in .06 and .67 versions as well as versions for either v1.0-1.5 or v1.6 consoles.

Make sure you use a BIOS that matches your current LBA48 configuration (F only - .06 or F & G - .67 and console version and modchip's bank size.

Edited by KaosEngineer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 8/12/2018 at 4:50 PM, RetromanIE said:

If i disable the mod chip and go into the normal OS its looking to set the time(fair enough as i removed the cap). Once i 

My xecutor2 Xbox is set up so that if I push the open tray button on the top it will load to the stock dashboard and not my mod os. If I remove the time cap will I still be able to press the tray button to start the normal OS l, set the correct time, and then restart to the mod OS or is removing the cap going to put me in a boot loop? I have no means of updating my mod to fix the boot loop. I'm just not sure if pressing the open tray button to run the normal OS is determined by the mod OS or that's how it runs normally modded or not.

• 3 months later...

Getting back into the swing of OG XBOX after manufacturing Wii2HDMI external cable. Have for a long time believed that certain game saves are relying on Time being set or it will land you back to beginning of games and overwriting all your previous saved progress. To overcome this without capacitor I purchases Real Time Clock Module Board with charging circuit for the onboard LIR2032 Battery to keep time.

Got carried away, Do certain games need correct clock settings as i feel obliged to reset clock before playing

12 minutes ago, carolmac said:

Getting back into the swing of OG XBOX after manufacturing Wii2HDMI external cable. Have for a long time believed that certain game saves are relying on Time being set or it will land you back to beginning of games and overwriting all your previous saved progress. To overcome this without capacitor I purchases Real Time Clock Module Board with charging circuit for the onboard LIR2032 Battery to keep time.

Got carried away, Do certain games need correct clock settings as i feel obliged to reset clock before playing

How do you plan on using such a device on the Xbox?  You cannot load additional software to use it.  Where do you plan on connecting it?

I would be interested to see if this could be a viable solution, especially for Xbox owners who don't have their machine hardwired to their router constantly for one reason or another. I know a friend whom has "mum acceptance factor" issues running an ethernet cable from the hallway, where the router is, then across the living room floor to the TV stand, since everything else in the house uses modern wireless. I can say from experience that some games do depend on the time being correct to avoid unpredictable behaviour. One example being Star Wars KOTOR 2. In case of the friend I speak of: The living room powerstrip always gets unplugged at night, causing the Xbox there to lose the time and get autoset to sometime in 2007 by the BIOS on the next boot. Loading a savefile the first time is okay, but then subsequent saves are dated to 2007. This means every time your character dies the game chooses what it believes is the latest save, which is dated 2020, and autoloads it despite there being more recent autosaves. This is quite annoying as it means one has to reload manually and the order of the saves gets mixed up, causing confusion. Even worse, sometimes they get truncated after making many autosaves, resulting in lost progress- especially after the power has been cut more than once between sessions making it difficult to keep track of exactly what the latest save is! I wouldn't be at all surprised if there are other games out there with autosave that could potentially suffer from this issue due to the correct time being lost.

Edited by samspin
  • Like 1