OGXbox.com

Foxlink PSU issues

UKXboxDad

After cable recall, Xbox's still frying

The fix isn't in

By Andrew Orlowski, 19 Mar 2005 (TheRegister)

14 million games console owners are still at risk of waking up to find their Xbox has become an ex-box. For when Microsoft issued a safety advisory for Xbox customers last month, it failed to address the underlying problem.

After several reports of consoles catching fire, Microsoft urged 14 million console owners to send in their old power leads for a replacement. But hardware experts point out that the power cable was never at root of the problem: it simply made the existing problem worse. The meltdown, and subsequent fire risk was actually caused by wear and tear on the power supply used in early models of the Xbox. The replacement cable featured a trip, which cut down the risk of your house catching fire, but left unfortunate gamers with a fried console. The cord has an interrupter switch that acts like a conventional fuse, tripping power to the unit.

Microsoft's decision to limit its liabilities, rather than address the root of the problem, has led to a particularly bizarre situation. Customers who don't need to participate in the program are being shipped an identical cable to the one they've got.

Microsoft last month advised console owners to unplug the Xbox from the mains, and claimed the risk is only 1 in 10,000.

Ryan, an Xbox modder in Northern California who has disassembled the console, confirms that solder on two prongs holding the Foxlink power supply in place wear out. The problem affects versions 1.0 and 1.1 of the power supply. The design flaw was fixed in subsequent power supplies.

I will pop open my case when I can, I know i have a Foxlink PSU

foxlink-edited.jpg

• 2 months later...

No mechanical support for that A/C power jack other than the solder joints. :( Cost reduction design but cost M$ in the long run millions for 14.1 million affect Xboxes.  Seems a lot of people didn't even hear about the Power Cord Replacement Program back in 2005.  I see a lot of v1.0/1.1 Xboxes with the original cord not the replacement bulging protective cord M$ offered free to users.

5a82df9fb4ec6_XboxPowerCordReplacement.jpg.36757f30adf38f6517da80ec60ef97e1.jpg

https://news.microsoft.com/2005/02/17/microsoft-announces-power-cord-replacement-for-xbox/

Edited by KaosEngineer

• 5 weeks later...

Did a case swap on one of my 1.0 yesterday, and after reassembly the connector failed. Signified by a nice crackling sound and a lack of turning on.

half the problem is a lack of mechanical support the rest is down to shite lead free solder. Good old leaded solder from my stash has sorted it out. :)

Shame the recall offers not still on as I'd like a couple more of those adaptors, they are useful.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...