OGXbox.com

Capacitor removal and replacement

UKXboxDad

It has been some years since our beloved xBox was released and some parts have begun to decay. It is commonly advised to remove your clock capacitor and replace any leaking.

1st step, clear any leakage. It's acidic afterall and you'll need a tight grip.

2nd Gently pull at the capacitor being removed while applying heat to the solder with your iron.

3rd Once removed, prepare your replacement capacitor. The longer pin is usually positive. Align these with the holes your old capacitor was soldered into. If you are unable to push it through, apply heat to melt any solder blocking the hole.

4th once pulled through, bend each pin iutward to hold the capacitor position. You don't want it falling out or becoming loose. Apply solder at the base of each pin.

5th trim pins  just above the solder. I used nail clippers as they were able to achieve a shorter trim. That and i misplaced my wire cutters.

Refit your motherboard etc

Power up and pray

FB_IMG_1496347044248.jpg

20170601_211057.jpg

FB_IMG_1496843970224.jpg

FB_IMG_1496846050200.jpg

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Vendest said:

Those are 3300uF / 6.3v but not all mobo use the same ratings cap.

The v1.0 mobo I have, has 1500uF / 6.3v installed.

You'd better off checking the existing cap ratings (shown on the side of the capacitor)

Capacitor.jpg

Well spotted! Please make sure you use the correct rating and solder in the right polarity!

It is also wise to mention tgat you should be gentle with the puns and not drop your new capacitor on the floor.

• 2 months later...

http://www.badcaps.net/store/  Nichicon 1500uF 6.3V 10mm dia. x 13mm high @ $0.61 each and Rubycon 3300uF 6.3v 10mm dia 25mm high MCZ series @ $1.13 ea. (quantity discounts available for 10+, 20+, 50+, 100+ pieces) Shipping is $6.00 flat rate no matter the order size US destination and $14.50 International destinations.

also http://www.digikey.com , http://www.mouser.com

Edited by KaosEngineer

• 1 year later...

Hey guys,

I'm new to this site and this kind of OGXbox/modding tinkering kind of community, and I actually signed up for this specific thread.
Long story short my '04 box finally ate the dust a few days ago, though it revs like it wants to start up. I decided to dismantle and delve into it. I'm trying to replace those same 6.3v 3300uf capacitors as pictured and your steps are helpful to understand. But I'm looking on Mouser to buy replacements for the 5 capacitors (and the clock, too, though I'm 99% sure it's a v.1.6).

Are there certain specs I should be looking for besides the 6.3v and 3300uf? I'm worried about getting one that's a wrong fit for  the board.

Thanks 

• 1 year later...

Old topic for sure and discussed all over the web, but I've decided to ask here since the pics are very informative.

I've seen where those 3 near the PS need to be replaced if leaking/bulging, and the clock cap for sure... but that is only 4.  I've seen talk of 5 (including one of the responses here)... is it specific caps like the 4 plus another that are typically troublesome, or should I just pop mine open and take an inventory instead?  It's almost at that 20 year old mark... :/

First ever question

i have a what i believe is a v1.6 motherboard that wont power on the psu has been tested ok

i removed the motherboard and noticed the clock capacitor (near the ide port) is bulged i kind of

remember somewhere saying if you removed this capacitor the motherboard wont work, could

this also be true if its bulging

many thanks.