OGXbox.com

IAmADrunkGuy

Just looking for recommendations for painting the X on the console. I was going to leave it original color but I scuffed it up when I was cutting the DVD window. It will have green LEDs so something to compliment it? I already sanded it a bit with fine grit paper and the scuffs although visible aren't deep, cant feel them when I run my finger over them now. I would like something to offset it just a bit from the original black. I thought about green as well but not sure. I've seen some photos on here but they're mainly blue or purple ish so dont really want that since I want green LEDs. Flat black? glossy hammered black? xbox green? I'm all taped up and ready to paint!!! Any suggestions greatly appreciated!!!!

i had one that was really totaled and didnt want to go through with painting. so i sanded with a block from 80 grit stepping up to 220, 400, 1000, 2000. 1000 and 2000 were wet sand and then used polishing compound. it came out HIGH gloss. looked really good.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, wikati said:

i had one that was really totaled and didnt want to go through with painting. so i sanded with a block from 80 grit stepping up to 220, 400, 1000, 2000. 1000 and 2000 were wet sand and then used polishing compound. it came out HIGH gloss. looked really good.

Nice I may give that ago, if I mess that up I can always paint it :D

4 hours ago, cOrPsE said:

paint never looks good sadly

Sad to hear.....I havent seen any consoles painted up close but some look nice in pics. I'll try to sand the crap out of it first...looks bad then paint........worse comes to worse I'll use some of that textured paint or some bed liner spray!!! :oxD

• Haha 1

if you take your time sanding with a flat block you should get good results. start at 180 or 220. 80 may be too heavy

i havent paint an xbox before. but ive been using rustoleum appliance epoxy on other projects and that stuff is awesome.

painted a motorcycle fuel tank with it, took my time, sanded between coats and let it cure for a full week before recoat as recommended on that can. its hard like epoxy (think fridge, washer, dryer) and it stands up to gasoline! which is not common of regulated VOC products in canada...

just moved into a place where the dryer left behind had a ton of damage on top. quick sand, degrease, cleaned it all up and shot in the white rattle can. looks great, really durable.

now thinking i may use the rest of this rattle can on my slim box.... hmmmmm. do i kill another weekend on an xbox...... hmmmmmm

• Like 1

Progress going good. sanded a bit and got it ready for plexiglass. Cut out dvd drive as well and also removed one of my HDs to give it a 1tb drive. Looks promising so far thanks to OGXbox.com and its wonderful helpful members. Still iffy on the sanding/painting but confident will look good. All I need now is to work on the configuration of the leds....

After I get all that done I have to work on getting xbmc4gamers to show previews, covers etc... but that's whats fun about it. Getting shit to work the way you want it to :)

I take great joy in modding things...especially when they're mine ! and turn out well.

Edited by IAmADrunkGuy

4 hours ago, Dave Corrigan said:

I have had great luck with Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch 2X Ultra Cover Paint + Primer

Jewel Supplies - Copy.jpg

Thanks, still messing with it. All that's left is paint, well still sanding, not looking too bad but we'll see. I'm all set up with xbmc4gamers except for a few things sysnopsis etc... I was going to go ham on it (clear) to see what it looked like but had to cut my yard....and weed...and water all those fukin plants....  :D but I'm on it this weekend

. Edit: If I have to Paint Im leaning towards the textured paint, saw it on a console and looked sweet. I won several xboxes at my local goodwill auction so If I have to chuck a top I'll be fine. Most likely wont have to though. I'll give em away to family if they're fine.

Edited by IAmADrunkGuy
spacing
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave Corrigan said:

I have never tried textured paint before.  It would probably cover up many sins though :)

I've only seen one video and it really looked good. They did their whole xbox though. It's nice to know there's "options" if one or two things don't work out! I'm still waiting to buy all necessary clear, paint, textured etc... until tomorrow, dam alcohol got in the way :D:7_sweat_smile::407_beer:. Good thing is whichever paint/clear I do it will definitely be different and I will certainly be pleased with it :96_ok_hand: .   Being my first case mod of anything I'm sure it won't be perfect but it sure is fun.

Edited by IAmADrunkGuy
words
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update: Painted a gloss black , plexiglass and jewel in as well. But one BIG mistake made.... I epoxied the jewel in.... UPSIDE DOWN!!!!! [emoji44]🤬[emoji35]🤣[emoji23]. Expoxy already set and secure as hell!!!! Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo ☹️. I do have a question though, is the hard drive power 12 volt? I need to splice in some 12 volt strips that I got for really cheap...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, IAmADrunkGuy said:

Update: Painted a gloss black , plexiglass and jewel in as well. But one BIG mistake made.... I epoxied the jewel in.... UPSIDE DOWN!!!!! emoji44.png🤬emoji35.png🤣emoji23.png. Expoxy already set and secure as hell!!!! Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo ☹️. I do have a question though, is the hard drive power 12 volt? I need to splice in some 12 volt strips that I got for really cheap...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N64 Freak has not expensive Xbox jewels, check his last posts or drop him a PM.

3 hours ago, neighbor said:

N64 Freak has not expensive Xbox jewels, check his last posts or drop him a PM.

I have other xboxes but ....I used JB weld epoxy and this thing isn't budging. I have other tops but this one being my "baby" from back in the day it's quite sad for me......  I guess it really is custom now !! haha! :( But I'll check him out, always good to have extras :1312_thumbsup_tone3:.  Any info on which wires are 12 volt? My multimeter broke and I tried looking in the forums but search didn't return anything. Nulled my HD though successfully, after a failed attempt on one of my hard drives, used config magic on it, on my 1tb used rockys and worked great. I'm cloning c and e on screwed up drive since I lost my ide to usb cord,....

PS: for those wanting to mod a case and dont have $$ to spend for dremil, I bought mine dremeled what I needed and returned it to Walmart, also got some leds (12v) strips from Ollies discount store for 5 $, and acrylic is cheap $3 and change for a 10x8 ish piece (probably bigger I cant eyeball measure and its all broken/used now). Paint was cheap as well used similar as recommended above with primer.

Edited by IAmADrunkGuy