Welcome to our site

Take a moment to join us. You can sign in with Facebook with a couple of clicks. No need for a lengthy registration. We also have Tapatalk support so you can use this forum on your phone the same way you use facebook. It will keep you notified.

XboxMon

Replacement Belt for OgXBox Drive On the Cheap?

As usual, they gouge you if you try to buy a rubber belt for the original Xbox if they actually call it a belt for the original Xbox.  But I heard you could use 23mm or so rubber O rings from the plumber's section of a store.  Since I loathe the idea of spending $3.00+ for 1 "official" OGXbox drive belt, what are the exact size measurements (or close to) for the actual OGXbox drive belts so I can attempt an approximation with a 10 for a buck O ring?  I want to resurrect my Xbox's troublesome disc drive that refuses to come out of it's shell, like a shy turtle.

2 hours ago, XboxMon said:

As usual, they gouge you if you try to buy a rubber belt for the original Xbox if they actually call it a belt for the original Xbox.  But I heard you could use 23mm or so rubber O rings from the plumber's section of a store.  Since I loathe the idea of spending $3.00+ for 1 "official" OGXbox drive belt, what are the exact size measurements (or close to) for the actual OGXbox drive belts so I can attempt an approximation with a 10 for a buck O ring?  I want to resurrect my Xbox's troublesome disc drive that refuses to come out of it's shell, like a shy turtle.

quoting the below thread from xbmc4xbox who banned me for no apparent reason as soon as i joined

"The same belts sold for use with the XB360 Samsung drives are generally pretty good replacements. The ones I've bought have all been 22mm diameter as they fit without significant stretching around a circular UK £1 coin which is 22.5mm. Profile is 1.2mm square. But I have seen others sold as XB360 drive belts which, in the listing, claimed the diameter as being less than 20mm. In other words you can't be sure what you're going to get."

i was about to start digging around for o-rings and trying stuff, but this is likely better information than i have

Please login or register to see this link.

jogged my memory that they are square, more of a belt than a ring. not saying an o-ring wouldn't work. just haven't tried it.

also some good ideas in that thread, one from rocky5 about dunking the old belt in boiling water.... claims it worked.

also something i didnt think of doing is just using the belt off another generic drive. i tend to have the odd drive hanging around from the past that need to go to scrap anyways. i may try one of those if need be.

looks like xbox 360 replacements will also work.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, I almost squeezed the trigger on some of those 360 belts on ebay but every time I contact the seller and ask if they also work for OGXbox they reply with something like "No, sorry.  They don't." so it scared me off.  Though I searched and searched I can't seem to find direct liinks to reasonably priced drive belts for sale that are likely to work with OGXbox units, so here I am looking for alternatives..  Maybe I'll just go for it and get one of those 5 for a dollar 360 deals from China.  It's not like it'll break me if it doesn't fit the bill

Edited by XboxMon

13 hours ago, Forlorn Penguin said:

I've used 360 replacement belts in Thomson, Samsung and Hitachi original Xbox DVD drives without any problems.

Do you think Please login or register to see this link. would would okay in an OGXbox?  Description says approximately 25mm in diameter but they still look kind of thin and small judging by the pics..  I considered the boiling-the-old-belt-in-hot-water trick but I heard this is a temporary solution and one guy's post claimed only a 50% success with different belts he used with this technique.

2 hours ago, XboxMon said:

Do you think Please login or register to see this link. would would okay in an OGXbox?  Description says approximately 25mm in diameter but they still look kind of thin and small judging by the pics.

I mean, they look just like the ones I've used. I never actually measured the size though. I just bought them, slapped them on and they worked.

• Thanks 1

I was in the same boat looking for belts but didn't have time to wait, I didn't want to LOL.:P I went to dollar tree and bought the little rubber bands for girls hair. They seemed small but I figured I'd try and it worked LOL, They seem pretty thin so I put three on there and it works great. Probably wont last long but for $1 for 500 I cant complain!!!!

IMG_7572.jpg

Edited by IAmADrunkGuy
grammar
  • Like 2

I would agree with cleaning the old belt in warm soapy water and drying it off. Clean both drives the belt has contact with using isopropyl alcohol as this is likely where the grease and crap has formed a film and coated the belt. I have in the past used my daughters hair bands, really small black strong elastic bands that when shorter improve the opening speed of the dvd drive too.