OGXbox.com

Replacement Belt for OgXBox Drive On the Cheap?

XboxMon

As usual, they gouge you if you try to buy a rubber belt for the original Xbox if they actually call it a belt for the original Xbox.  But I heard you could use 23mm or so rubber O rings from the plumber's section of a store.  Since I loathe the idea of spending $3.00+ for 1 "official" OGXbox drive belt, what are the exact size measurements (or close to) for the actual OGXbox drive belts so I can attempt an approximation with a 10 for a buck O ring?  I want to resurrect my Xbox's troublesome disc drive that refuses to come out of it's shell, like a shy turtle.

2 hours ago, XboxMon said:

As usual, they gouge you if you try to buy a rubber belt for the original Xbox if they actually call it a belt for the original Xbox.  But I heard you could use 23mm or so rubber O rings from the plumber's section of a store.  Since I loathe the idea of spending $3.00+ for 1 "official" OGXbox drive belt, what are the exact size measurements (or close to) for the actual OGXbox drive belts so I can attempt an approximation with a 10 for a buck O ring?  I want to resurrect my Xbox's troublesome disc drive that refuses to come out of it's shell, like a shy turtle.

quoting the below thread from xbmc4xbox who banned me for no apparent reason as soon as i joined

"The same belts sold for use with the XB360 Samsung drives are generally pretty good replacements. The ones I've bought have all been 22mm diameter as they fit without significant stretching around a circular UK £1 coin which is 22.5mm. Profile is 1.2mm square. But I have seen others sold as XB360 drive belts which, in the listing, claimed the diameter as being less than 20mm. In other words you can't be sure what you're going to get."

i was about to start digging around for o-rings and trying stuff, but this is likely better information than i have

https://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7413

jogged my memory that they are square, more of a belt than a ring. not saying an o-ring wouldn't work. just haven't tried it.

also some good ideas in that thread, one from rocky5 about dunking the old belt in boiling water.... claims it worked.

also something i didnt think of doing is just using the belt off another generic drive. i tend to have the odd drive hanging around from the past that need to go to scrap anyways. i may try one of those if need be.

looks like xbox 360 replacements will also work.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, I almost squeezed the trigger on some of those 360 belts on ebay but every time I contact the seller and ask if they also work for OGXbox they reply with something like "No, sorry.  They don't." so it scared me off.  Though I searched and searched I can't seem to find direct liinks to reasonably priced drive belts for sale that are likely to work with OGXbox units, so here I am looking for alternatives..  Maybe I'll just go for it and get one of those 5 for a dollar 360 deals from China.  It's not like it'll break me if it doesn't fit the bill

Edited by XboxMon

13 hours ago, Forlorn Penguin said:

I've used 360 replacement belts in Thomson, Samsung and Hitachi original Xbox DVD drives without any problems.

Do you think these would would okay in an OGXbox?  Description says approximately 25mm in diameter but they still look kind of thin and small judging by the pics..  I considered the boiling-the-old-belt-in-hot-water trick but I heard this is a temporary solution and one guy's post claimed only a 50% success with different belts he used with this technique.

2 hours ago, XboxMon said:

Do you think these would would okay in an OGXbox?  Description says approximately 25mm in diameter but they still look kind of thin and small judging by the pics.

I mean, they look just like the ones I've used. I never actually measured the size though. I just bought them, slapped them on and they worked.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was in the same boat looking for belts but didn't have time to wait, I didn't want to LOL.:P I went to dollar tree and bought the little rubber bands for girls hair. They seemed small but I figured I'd try and it worked LOL, They seem pretty thin so I put three on there and it works great. Probably wont last long but for $1 for 500 I cant complain!!!!

IMG_7572.jpg

Edited by IAmADrunkGuy
grammar
  • Like 4

I would agree with cleaning the old belt in warm soapy water and drying it off. Clean both drives the belt has contact with using isopropyl alcohol as this is likely where the grease and crap has formed a film and coated the belt. I have in the past used my daughters hair bands, really small black strong elastic bands that when shorter improve the opening speed of the dvd drive too. 

• 2 years later...

i know im very late to this conversation, but on the topic of 360 drive belts: i have a toshiba/samsung drive in a 1.6b and i can confirm 360 dg16 drives for the phat and slim 360s have a belt that is much too wide to loop around correctly without hanging over. i did find by replacing the og xbox's secondary drive gear, aka the one the belt connects the main drive motor to, with the 360's does yield a correct diameter for the 360's belt, i wasnt able to test if it would open and close correctly, as when i was putting it back together from a completely stripped down state, my screwdriver hit the clip that held down the clip so now if i use the 360 gear with it it just spins up and off its holding. luckily the original gear is fine to use with it, but thats my findings on the matter.

On 6/16/2018 at 6:40 AM, IAmADrunkGuy said:

I was in the same boat looking for belts but didn't have time to wait, I didn't want to LOL.:P I went to dollar tree and bought the little rubber bands for girls hair. They seemed small but I figured I'd try and it worked LOL, They seem pretty thin so I put three on there and it works great. Probably wont last long but for $1 for 500 I cant complain!!!!

IMG_7572.jpg

Opening the drive will be a bit slower than with original belt, BUT it will work.

• 1 year later...
On 6/16/2018 at 1:40 PM, IAmADrunkGuy said:

IMG_7572.jpg

Thankyou!  I just saved my samsung drive with this.  Stole a few of my daughters hair ties, and it works a treat!

• 11 months later...

I guess the issue with the belt of my original xbox dvd drive was deformation. The inner diameter of the belt is approximately 24mm. You can put it around 50 cent euro coin which has the diameter of 24,25mm. I changed the belt to two very elastic Sealing O-Rings OD22xID20xCS1mm (cs = cross-section). Works great. One wasn't enough. Next I'll try Rubber Seal Ring OD 22mm (CS 2mm). 

You can also order 3x rubber drive belts ID22xCS2mm or ID24xCS2mm for 7 euros. I think ID22 would be a perfect fit.

Edited by njimko
  • Like 1

The material the 'belt' is made from has a significant effect on the resting diameter it needs to be. That's why I always go with, allegedly, XB360 drive belts.

Materials like rubber bands are softer and stretch more so do not grip the tray drive wheels as well and will very likely stretch/deform very quickly.

I tested a genuine original Xbox Samsung drive belt after hot water/cooling/drying reconditioning and that fitted over an old circular (no longer in circulation) UK £1 coin with a little stretching. That coin was exactly 22.5mm so I took it that the original Xbox drive belt was 22mm in diameter.

That is the same as the 'genuine' XB360 Samsung drive belts too but I use the term 'genuine' with skepticism as the material of the ones I've bought have been softer than the definitely original Xbox Samsung ones.

I'd guess anything between 20mm and 24mm diameter will work, depending on the material. But one thing I have found is that if you go tighter than 20mm, particularly with a harder, grippier material, it actually exacerbates the tray opening/closing problems. If it is too tight the belt slips on the drive drive wheels or brakes them so much you can hear it straining the tray eject/close motor.        

Edited by HDShadow

Thank you for your input. I attempted to reshape the old piece through boiling and cooling processes. It now possesses a rounded form, although the inner diameter measures 24.25mm, which suggests the original rubber band seems lost case.

I plan to handle the Rubber Seal Ring OD22xID18xCS2mm with care. I'm considering utilizing a 10 cent euro coin to gently stretch it to a diameter of 19.75mm using boiling water (or time) before insertion into the original Xbox unit.