Welcome to our site

Take a moment to join us. You can sign in with Facebook with a couple of clicks. No need for a lengthy registration. We also have Tapatalk support so you can use this forum on your phone the same way you use facebook. It will keep you notified.

psnap777

Dvd Drive Replacement Laser Availability

Hi Guys. Does anyone know where to buy a replacement laser for a Thompson drive and a Phillips drive? I have two XBOXs with bad drives. I have tried cleaning the laser with alcohol and adjusting the laser but they went from reading some games to reading no games. I have looked on Amazon and eBay but have not been able to find any. Are replacement lasers no longer available for these drives? What are you guys doing with these failed drives? Are you running your XBOX without a DVD drive? My concern with doing this is how would you reload with a disk like Hexen 2017 without a working DVD drive if you ever needed to?

i couldn't find the eyes but i would try a whole new CD drive 

i just stack them up in the garage with any other scrap  but i keep my best CD drives off unless i am going to use it

psnap, i've got a slim box with no drive in it. the scrap drive that was in there i harvested the board from in order to run it with softmod only (v1.6)
it worked just fine. i have since installed a cheap modchip in case what you're describing happens and i lose a drive (you can null with rocky softmod i am unfamiliar and will leave it for another poster)

What im getting at if, a pc dvd drive (i happened to have an ide dvd drive kicking around) will work. you need to have the power hooked to the stock drive and then ide hooked to pc drive while powering it with an outside source (or splitter but 3 drives is pushing it and likely wouldnt work on xbox PSU)

The question is "do i really have to go through all this hassle to set up a new drive with hexen" the answer is you likely wont be doing many times if you are just using this for standard homebrew application.

The PC drive will not play the xbox games because they are read in reverse or soemthing like that. I looked into dedicating a new pc drive to the box but for what its worth DVD is a media i do not support... the only dvd i use is hexen.