OGXbox.com

XVgm Installation

wikati

OK,

So the moment i joined i quickly rapid fired 10 posts so that i could download XVGM
I quickly realized i had 0 idea what i was doing.

After a bit of fiddling today i got the .xmv's to display.

the insight came after buggering with adding xmv to menu items.

once i allowed myself to get past the menu items and try a game it worked..... because.
Simply having the preview in the game folder as preview.xmv will display the preview.... now i understand what cbgames talks about when "tricking the video" its like having an image with the video embedded..... so much brain power!!

Anyways. Getting back to the menu items.

In the unleashX settings\system i found "allow menu edit" this is typically turned off sort of like a safe guard for users that shouldnt be tampering.

so you turn it on and then you are able to manually select the preview video for that menu item
it adds to the context menu that appears when you press start on a menu item.... COOL.

So now all the XMV are working.... and hot damn. unleashx transformed.

silly thing.
the skin wont stay as default.? it resets on reboot. any ideas for me?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Honestly KE, I am in shock the scarcity of information that surrounds this piece of work. i've never directly created this type of content for front ends but i cant imagine it was easy...
the word tedious comes to mind! monotonous? i can feel the pain in the back of my neck and my shoulder burning staring at the pc hour after hour.
the installation isnt a big deal. especially if you've setup cover art manually before. this is actually really simple.
beyond that, all the work has been done for separate folders inside of emulators, breaking them up into manageable categories.
I personally have no business with things outside of the "standard north american" wheelhouse.
To think id sit down and play through an x68000 title is just absurd.
so my set up is going to be easy.

but it is neat to have this working.

• Like 1

on a 1.6 softmod i get the video crashing (stops displaying and remains broken until reboot) in the games folder the odd time. if i watch too many for too long. less than desirable but keeping the game count down is likely a solution but not definitely. will experiment. this sort of resonates for me with a mentioned issue of 'too many titles' but i thought the number to be over 200... ive got about 40 games.
this isnt a huge problem because its only now and then. and typically you can stilll launch your game (although ive had the console reboot)

still a slick interface.
would be neat to try build a few of the missing XMV files. coinops/ninja come to mind almost immediately.

• 4 months later...

The title through me off a bit - would any of you kind lads have a tutorial on how to install the full XVGM on UnleashX? I can't find anything online and I assume the files/folders in the zip need to be placed in different directories for this to all work properly? Any help is greatly appreciated.

• Sad 1

On 8/14/2018 at 6:56 PM, salvio007 said:

The title through me off a bit - would any of you kind lads have a tutorial on how to install the full XVGM on UnleashX? I can't find anything online and I assume the files/folders in the zip need to be placed in different directories for this to all work properly? Any help is greatly appreciated.

sorry for the misleading post. let me know what you've done to try and install it. because although it seems weird, once you get started it sorta makes sense. At the moment, i cant remember what i did. you need to install the skin, (its a seperate function from all the pretty graphics)

The thing is, once UnleashX is skinned with XVGM, the rest is one big video!!

So basically you are setting the preview videos for the actual skin.

Get on the FTP and have a look at the folder structure of unleashX, you should be able to figure out the skin install. I'll check back later to see where you're at.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

The PDF is a great tool but unfortunately it doesn't work for everyone

I'm what they call a visual learner you could stick a book in front of me or a PDF

And I won't learn a thing but if you show me the same thing in a YouTube video

I get it first try I wish we had more video tutorials for modding the original Xbox

• 2 weeks later...