OGXbox.com

Problems With XBit 1.5 and 1.6b Mainboard

Kentsfield

Well actually that sounds better than worse.  For this modchip to work in a v1.6 console the modchip needs to have a 1.6 compatible BIOS flashed to it.  As that chip generally was used only in v1.0-1.5 consoles the BIOS pre-flashed to it may not work thus FRAG'ing.

I'll have to check but I'd have thought the system would boot just there would be no video (BLACK) screen as the wrong BIOS will not properly configure the Xcalibur video encoder but too will not set up the RAM timing properly thus FRAG'ing as the system sees a major fault occurring in a key piece of hardware/software.

Do you have any idea what BIOS is flashed to the chip?

Update: The console's not a 1..6b as it has Samsung DDR SDRAM (v1.6) installed not Hynix (v1.6b) for the system's 64MB of RAM. Good news!

Edited by KaosEngineer

I see I got a wire wrong.  Well as far as if you were using the wire harness and not soldering wires to the top of the pogo pins.

Wire 4 from the side wiring harness connector was to D0 on v1.0-1.5 consoles. N/C on a v1.6 console.

But for pogo pin/header pin 4, no connection (N/C) as stated earlier is correct.

5ace861c3822a_X-BITLPCConnections.png.cdf903c48178ac93864bec4ec52cae8b.png

Edited by KaosEngineer

Yep, it's a 1.6A :)

I have multiple bios'es flashed on different banks to try that out, but none of them work.

I have a evolution-x m8 1.6 by yoshimitsu and a different one (don't know the name). But both are fully 1.6 and 1.6b compatible.

I will resolder that wire and tell you what happens :)

I just saw that your wrong wire was d0, which I didn't solder at all. And I did solder at the holes for the pogo pins, which I removed earlier.

It''s just interesting, why the xbox won't boot anymore at all, even with connected LFRAME... As said before, this could either mean, that it's fried (which I doubt) or the chip is kinda working and tries to inject the bios but has troubles to it due to some reasons...

Bank selection and chip enable or Stealth Mode.

https://web.archive.org/web/20060203131527/http://www.dms3.com:80/xbit_bios_selection.htm

Make sure the chip is enabled not in Stealth Mode. (STM).

Does the X-Bit LFRAME rebuild restore the signal before or after the cut by the Xyclops chip to the LPC Debug header pin 3? 

Another item from the developers archived website.

https://web.archive.org/web/20070208081708/http://www.dms3.com:80/xnews.htm

Ground connected through the mounting screw.  I'd think ground is ground be it via the screw ground point or a wire soldered to the pogo pin top to that same screw grounding pad.

They also mention that the X-Bit uses 5Vdc and not 3v3 (3.3Vdc). Not sure if pin 9 pogo pin actually goes anywhere.

Xbox-scene.com mentions a * "9-wire installkit for v1.6" however I have yet to find any info about it.

Edited by KaosEngineer

Found this incomplete (Lite) Edition of X-B.I.T v1.5 installation manual for a 1.6 but it has the additional board and of course being a lite version is not the complete manual just a starting teaser without all the vital information included.

XBit_Mod_Install_V1.6_Lite.pdf

https://web.archive.org/web/20050416070721/http://forums.xbox-scene.com:80/index.php?showtopic=376770 not that there's much good info still accessible at the links listed.

Edited by KaosEngineer

A B.I.T more info for the X-B.I.T install in a v1.6 console:

https://web.archive.org/web/20141025042607/http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?/topic/246438-anyone-tried-x-bit-and-v16-yet/page-2

dayspringband posted 07 August 2004 - 10:55 PM:

ok everyone keeps posting and talking about the LPC rebuild and wire installation for SmartXX and Xenium chips but NONE for XBIT. they aren't the same chips. how can u use and installation guide for another chip? 

Dra60onSlayer posted on 08 August 2004 - 02:22 AM:

The LPC rebuild is the same for ALL modchips.. it does not matter what modchip manufacturer who made a good pic... but so far we haven't seen any pics from DMS (the company that makes X-B.i.t) that's why wee are talking about Xenium, SmartXX and Xecuter LPC rebuild.

take any of them but be sure to install a switch on LAD0 if you need to disable the modchip without having the xbox frag.
also ground LFRAME / D0 to disable internal xbox bios(activate the modchip)
--------------------
Post on xbox-scene.com archived at the wayback machine about how to install X-B.I.T in a v1.6 console.

Anyone tried X-Bit and v1.6 yet.pdf

Edited by KaosEngineer

Nope, still nothing :(

Im starting to getting tired... I checked all connections - Multiple times. I did absolutly everything according to the instructions you've sent me, flashed all bios banks with different Bios'es, measured voltages, tried it with the connection of LFRAME, tried it without - Nope. Christmas lights of death.

As already said, even if I restore the LFRAME cut it won't work.

Edit: I'll now take a look at this xbox if it is even working anymore or I really killed it. First, I'll take out the XBIT chip, reconnect the LFRAME and take a look if it boots. If not, the box is dead.

If it does, I'll rip out a cheap LPC MOD V2 from a working 1.4 box and install that in the 1.6, before that I'll flash a 1.6 compatible BIOS on the LPC mod. If it then works with the chip, the Xbit is dead. If it still won't work, I just need to wait until my Aladin XT chips arrive, they're definitely 1.6 compatible. I will then install the XBIT in the 1.4 console (where I can also observe, whether the chip is dead or not). If it works there, I'll leave it in the 1.4 box, grab another <1.6 box and install the LPC mod there.

Whew. What a hustle. 

Edited by Kentsfield
  • Like 1

Update... I achieved some kind of success, i guess? :S

First -  The xbox isnt dead. Hooray!

Second - Even with the LPC mod and a m8 1.6 compatible bios on the LPC mod, it still wont work. But as soon as I connect the LFRAME (well the cut pins), the xbox boots, but gives me an error 7. I dont know if my BIOS has a custom logo on it, it looks like the original M$ one.

Now I'm getting other, very strange issues. I connected a DVD drive with Hexen to the box (the drive is NOT from this machine) and also one of the original hard drives. That's the point, I'm not sure if the HD is locked or not.

With one of the drives, I suddenly don't get a picture anymore whilst boot. I first see a picture, and suddenly its gone.

With the other hard drive (i think it's the one that came with this xbox), I see the boot logo, but instead of Linux at the botom (which should pop up with Hexen, so it did with my 1.4 where the LPC mod was previously installed), I see MIcrosoft. That's it, nothing happens.

But as far as I know, Microsoft only pops up, if the Xbox recognizes a game disc (let's just pretend hexen is a game)... So, part success...

Meh.

If you see Microsoft under the big X logo at the end of the animation and no other text (e.g., Xecuter2, Xecuter Rox my Box, or the Evox Shield in upper-left of the screen during the animation), it's most likely not booting a hacked BIOS , but loading the stock MS BIOS.

Error 07 - HDD timeout - hard drive not found.  Reseat all IDE connectors: MB, DVD and HDD.

From what I recall, the "Microsoft" text appears under the big X logo as an indication that the HDD is now unlocked.

Hexen disc won't load using the stock MS BIOS - unsigned code.

Edited by KaosEngineer

Oh my gosh. It works now :x

LFRAME had to be connected to the point below the cut near the Xyclops chip. This is strange since I already did this and it did not work... But I also noticed, that my ground wire became lose. Maybe this is why it did not work the first time.

Anyway, I'm happy! Xbox alive and modded. Now theres just the XBIT to test. I will now install this into the 1.4 box and see if it's dead or not.

• Like 2

Edit - it doesn't work anymore. Something is wrong. Sometimes I get the Christmas lights again, when I press on the lframe wire it works, but I don't see any video signal. And sometimes it boots just fine... 

I will check all connections and see if I need to resolder something. 

A quick update/follow up. I think, the Xbit is dead. I installed it on my 1.1 machine (Which I thought is a 1.4, but it's not). - Doesnt work. I connected all wires as shown in the Xbit 1.1 install diagram, flashed a pre 1.6 bios (exo-X M8), connected d0, it boots normally. But as soon as I connect the DVD drive supply cable (on page 4 on this pdf http://www.ogxbox.com/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=1094), christmas lights... Without it, regular boot with original BIOS.

Meh.

How are the switches configured on the external adapter?  Could it be trying to boot the wrong bank?

Is the modchip enable/disable switch working?

Update: Do you have the original DVD power cable? 

Where's that red and black wired connector from the new DVD power cable go?  

Edited by KaosEngineer

No, the DIP switches are correct. I tried multiple configurations, none of them worked. The modchip is on, I can tell because of the activity LED which is off when the chip is in stealth mode. I do have the original cable, the leads are going on a little connector on the chip itself. This is not present on the Xbit 1.0, which is the chip used in all of the pics shared here.

This is the Xbit 1.5 which I have, You can see the connector in the middle of the PCB (next to the little chip, not the actel one):

87f7f775d5eaf0405221410eed2c24ef.jpg