OGXbox.com

Problems With XBit 1.5 and 1.6b Mainboard

Kentsfield

Hello Folks, 

I try to intsall a XBIT 1.5 Chip in a 1.6b console. 

I was having a pretty bad time, since most of the information is gone due to forums and websites are not available in 2018 anymore... But thanks to the wayback machine, I managed to get some information about the installation process of the chip. 

Well, it looks like that the chip is/was only compatible to v1.0 to 1.5 and the 1.6 revision was not out when this chip was released (I've read somewhere, that there is a 1.6 adaptor board). Anyway, thanks to google, I found out that it should be possible to use that chip in a 1.6 console, but I'm unsure if they used the 1.6 adaptor. After rebuilding the LPC port, I installed the chip as usual (Double checked the pinouts from thechip and the LPC port), left d0 unconnected since I've read, that this is not necessary on 1.6 consoles and performed a LFRAME cut. 
I flashed evolution-x m8 1.6b bios to the chip with a virutal installation of windows xp (the softwate really sucks and won't work on WIN10...) 

Well, all I get is the christmas light (Console turning on and off 3 times and flashes red/green) without any video signal. If I bridge the LFRAME signal with tweezeers, the console boots as usual.  This either means, that either the connection between the console and the chip is wrong or the chip is broken and I don't know how to find that out. 

I tried multiple thing, like reconnectnig the LFRAME, soldering in D0, used the 1.5 pinout for soldering, used the 1.6 soldering (but without the adaptor). At the time, I think the chip is broken, because flashing works, but validating the files gives me an error.

As said before, I read on a german forum, that you can actually use any not 1.6 compatible chip with a 1.6 console by cutting the LFRAME and not connecting the d0 point. Won't work for me icon_frown.gif 

Has anyone some tips, help, suggestion for me? 

Thanks in advanve! 

I still thought D0 was required to let the MCPX know that it should be loading the BIOS from the LPC attached flash memory chip.

With LFRAME cut, you cannot boot the Xbox from the onboard TSOP until bridged again as you've described.

Rebuild of the v1.6's LPC port is required. 

Pins 4 and 6 most likely need to be removed from the pin header.  Pin 4 didn't exist in earlier versions, there was no feed-thru hole present, and pin 6 on v1.6's has 5Vdc as long as the console is plugged into AC power.

5ac2520aa0131_LPC_header_v1.0-v1.5(Horizontal).jpg.e66746cff4cb51e7e3dad58ecded63fa.jpgLPC v1.0-1.5

LPC_header_v1.6.png.c9e61e3c4e46b9a121de546207b91b24.png
LPC v1.6

Two (2) LPC v1.6 rebuild methods:

1. SmartXX Rebuild and

2. Team Xecuter Rebuild on the Wayback Machine. I don't think you need to connect to the alternate 5Vdc supply for the X-Bit. It is most likely powered by 3.3Vdc present on the LPC port.  And only pins 1-12 have the header installed. 13-16 not required.

xpinheader3.jpg.760510d9c3ec2d3d476a7f9d072e6446.jpg
X-bit Pin Header Install 1-12, pins 13-16 unused.

Does pin 4 on the X-Bit have a trace connected to it?  If so, the alternate 5Vdc supply will be required.

Update: xwire6.jpg.9290d1669a9e6c87dbaf5284caba5761.jpg
Xbit Wire Install Diagram v1.5 console

From the above diagram, looks like the X-bit does NOT require 5Vdc.   The pin header definitely needs pin 4 and 6 removed before installation.

Update 2:  But wait, the wires 2 (gnd) and 6 (5Vdc I think.  You'd need to measure it with a multimeter.) are connecting to the cap at the lower left of that picture. 

Edited by KaosEngineer
  • Like 1

First - Thanks for that huge ammount of information! It's a bit confusing, but I'll try to figure it out.

I still thought D0 was required to let the MCPX know that it should be loading the BIOS from the LPC attached flash memory chip.

I don't know, honestly. I just found that information in a german forum which said, that you can actually use any modchip, even if it is not explicit 1.6 compatible, if you leave d0 unconnected, wire everything right after a full LPC rebuild, cut the LFRAME and use a 1.6 compatible BIOS.

When I bridge the LFRAME signal, the Xbox will boot normally to the M$ Dash.

Pin 4 is unconnected (no rebuild done to that and also no cable from the chip soldered in), and pin 6 is always 5V, even if the console is off but mains connected. 13-16 is also not connected.

Edit: I have rebuilt the LPC port as shown in your .rar file, but also providing always 5V, which seems to be a problem with connecting my USB lead to the chip while the box is still powered but off (Windows shows, that the USB device may be damaged). Without mains it works...

Edited by Kentsfield

I'd change the connection of 5Vdc power, remove it from pin 6 of the LPC debug port and solder to the + pad of the cap indicated in the install on a 1.5 motherboard (MB).  The same cap may not be present on a 1.6 MB but it looks like it is present below the barcode sticker on the left side of the motherboard. Check the cap's + pad -- Update: MS changed the layout and the easily accessible surface mount pads by the cap are no longer present on the 1.6MB -- for the presence of a switched 5Vdc source.  Team Xecuter has an alternate switched 5Vdc source they used for 1.6 consoles to power their X3 modchip.

x3_alt5v.jpg.07cec4cb13f4e196d04965b726df9b34.jpg

Edited by KaosEngineer

I have now soldered the 5v wire to the voltage regulator as in the picture above, all the other connections are identical to the 1.5 wiring diagram for the Xbit chip. Won't work still :(

Edit: What confuses me, is, that some pins are labeled differently from different manufacturers. The Xbit manufacturers call a pin for the LPC Rework LFRAME, the other ones call it d0, some say an alternative d0 is on the top, but it's not connected to LFRAME or d0... I think here lies the problem somewhere, somehow.

Besides that, I dug out an old laptop with Windows ME and successfully flashed a 1.6b compatible BIOS to bank 6, even verifying did not fail this time. I think, the chip is now finally flashed without errors.

Edited by Kentsfield

11 hours ago, Kentsfield said:

Edit: What confuses me, is, that some pins are labeled differently from different manufacturers. The Xbit manufacturers call a pin for the LPC Rework LFRAME, the other ones call it d0, some say an alternative d0 is on the top, but it's not connected to LFRAME or d0... I think here lies the problem somewhere, somehow.

Which pin #?

On 4/3/2018 at 3:23 PM, Kentsfield said:

I just found that information in a german forum which said, that you can actually use any modchip, even if it is not explicit 1.6 compatible, if you leave d0 unconnected, wire everything right after a full LPC rebuild, cut the LFRAME and use a 1.6 compatible BIOS.

What's the link to the German site with the info about no D0 needed cut LFRAME?

Sorry, couldn't reply earlier.

This is the thread (you can just translate it via google, but I'm sure that a lot of information will get lost or translated wrong): 

http://evo-x.de/wbb3/board546-konsolen-spiele/board586-oldie-konsolen/board212-xbox-classic/board8-xbox-hardware-modding/135760-lframe-d0-auf-masse-in-1-6er-box-zusammenfassung/

And the pin number differs. I need to take a look at all the pictures I've collected, I think I messed some things up...

Okay, I've read it and yes sounds like no D0 connection has to be made from the modchip to the motherboard.  However, for the Aladdin XT plus 2 chip you DO have to solder a wire from BT to GND (LPC quick connect area pin 2).

5aca69c9546e8_AladdinXTplus2-AlwaysON-Jumper(Green).jpg.baa09b0d09cda7ba0f5390427ac14218.jpgAladdin XT plus 2 permanent ON mod.

Edited by KaosEngineer

ive used this non D0 method with that alddin chip. with success AND failure. when i cut lframe and didnt ground d0 for the second time the xbox did not boot....
i fixed l frame and then grounded D0. much to my surprise the console booted and chip worked. not sure of the differences but i just tried it.... i didnt seek to understand.
i could have fixed a bad solder point while going back to ground D0, tough to say. just thought id say that..... not sure if im being help or hindrance.

The Aladdin needs the BT tied to gnd, because the chip would be off otherwise. My Xbit anyway is turned on, which is being indicated by the LED on the usb breakout board being on.

I'm jost not sure if I need to connect LFRAME/D0 to GND with the LFRAME cut, because I did not do this. I had a t first, but I had not cut the LFRAME at this point and probably flashed the chip wrong.

LFRAME should be cut for the X-BIT's BIOS to be loaded.  Make sure all the correct connections are made to the LPC debug port and the rebuild completed.  Several signals are no longer connected, LAD0-LAD3, to the header until restored. 

Pin 7 - LAD3
Pin 8 - LAD2
Pin 9 - 3.3Vdc ( tie to pin 15)
Pin 10 - LAD1
Pin 11 - LAD0

LAD0-3 restoration: http://www.eurasia.nu/wiki/index.php/XboxXyclopsLpcPortRecovery

Also, 5Vdc to the modchip needs to be restored since pin 6 of a v1.6 where normally obtained on v1.0-1.5 consoles is now an always on 5Vdc (standby power) no longer a switched voltage supply.

Do you have any pictures showing your restoration and connection of the modchip to your v1.6b console, please post?

Edited by KaosEngineer

I'm currently reworking absolutely everything. But I found a HUGE difference which could even kill my xbox!

In the picture you posted on eurasia on the LAD0-3 restauration for the SmartXX chip, Pin 9 is connected to GND, you said 3.3V... Then I found this picture:

1.6-top-pro_install.jpg

This also suggests to connect it to Pin 15, but this should be 3,3V. The one instruction tells me to connect it to 3.3 V, the other one to GND. This is a potential damaging risk in my opinion, shorting 3.3V to GND is an instant short circuit.

What now?

Besides that, what about the other pins of the XBIT chip? In this video at 8:30 mins 

you can see the XBIT Pinout, it has a D0, LFRAME and LCLK Pin. Should I leave them unattached?

Pin 9 should have no connection to any voltage level.  But should be 3.3Vdc not GND after connecting it to pin 15 of the LPC debug header pads.

I don't think D0 is required as the 1.6 Xbox seems to have that line already tied to ground - the Xyclops itself has the BIOS loading across the LPC bus.  No need for the modchip to control D0 to enable booting from the modchip (LPC attached flash memory chip).  As for LCLK, it should already be connected and no LFRAME may be required.  Many modchips don't actually use it but re-generate the signal automagically.  However, it may be required for the X-B.I.T.  I can't confirm this fact since I don't own an X-B.I.T v1.5.  I do have a v1.6 console.

From the prior LPC rebuild post by DMS it shows a connection for LFRAME (in purple) so it must be needed.  LCLK is already connected to the LPC bus.A_XboX16_lpc_rebuild.thumb.jpg.a48fcaf381164a13c3e95c9ad49fc787.jpg
Bottom side of Xbox v1.6 MB

They don't even show making a connection between pin 15 and 9 (or to anywhere else) to restore the 3.3Vdc supply.  However, you know that pin 6 should not be used for the 5Vdc supply on a 1.6.  That header pin needs to be removed so there's no possible way it would ever get connected to the modchip.  You do need to tie to an alternate switched 5Vdc supply.

Edited by KaosEngineer

Hi,

I don't know if you understood, where my confusion about 3.3v and GND came from. In the picture from the XBIT LPC restore, Pin 9 is not connected to anything. Makes sense, since the Xbit probably doesn't need anything from Pin 9 (if installed with Pin headers, im using cables btw).

The LPC restore picture from SmartXX tells me, to connect Pin 9 to that pin, where probably a capacitor or resistor would sit. This point is definitely GND. You told me (so does the picture I posted last), to connect it to pin15, which is definitely not GND, probably 3.3V (see pictures attached).

I need to find out, where I can attach the LCLK wire, but I think I'll figure that out.

xbox_v1_6_lpc_port_recover_smartxx.jpg

1.6-top-pro_install.jpg

I sure need to find my multimeter or remember who borrowed it last.  I've not measured the restoration point that SmartXX shows as the pin 9 connection point.  If it is GND, then it is wrong.  As pin 9 should be 3.3Vdc.  (source: http://xboxdevwiki.net/LPC_Debug_Port)

LCLK should already be connected to the LPC Debug port, pin 1. Thus, requires no restoration.

Edited by KaosEngineer

The picture from the video you posted with pinouts for a huge number of modchips shows pin 9 to be 3.3Vdc.

5ace5b509ce2e_X-BITConnections.thumb.png.1f2e8796d9c6262c5ed13beb55e67701.png

Thus, you've identified a flaw in SmartXX's v1.6 rebuild diagram. At least, where it concerns connecting a X-B.I.T modchip to a v1.6 console.

For the X-BIT, connect wire 9 to pin 15 of the LPC Debug port (3.3Vdc)

Edited by KaosEngineer

Hehe, a few years too late :) But then I will connect it to 3.3V. Besides that, I followed all traces, pin definitions and so on, and found out, that the LCLK Pin on the Chip gets connected to the LFRAME signal on the xbox with a 1.6. But they also used this strange little adaptor I'm missing...

Let's give it a try :)

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Kentsfield said:

What about the RST lane? Do I need to connect it somewhere?

LPC pin 5, It too should already be present and requires no restoration.

X-BIT Wire Harness Installation on an ogXbox V1.6 console

Wire 1 - LCLK - LPC pin 1 - no restoration required
Wire 2 - GND - LPC pin 2 - no restoration required
Wire 3 - LFRAME - LPC pin 3 -  restore per X-BIT restore diagram above pin 3
Wire 4 - POWER - N/C - Power Switch signal line 
Wire 5 - LRESET - LPC pin 5 - no restoration required
Wire 6 - 5Vdc - use alternate unswitched standby 5Vdc per Xecuter 3 installation diagram
Wire 7 - LAD3 - restore per X-BIT diagram pin  7
Wire 8 - LAD2 - restore per X-BIT diagram pin 8
Wire 9 - 3.3Vdc - use LPC Debug port Pin 15
Wire 10 - LAD1 - restore per X-BIT diagram pin 10
Wire 11 - LAD0 - restore per X-BIT diagram pin 11

N/C - No Connection

I think that should do but I don't have an X-B.I.T to try. Doublecheck them.

Edited by KaosEngineer

Thanks for your self made pinout. I connected everything according to your description. I used +5v from the power regulator and gnd from a screw hole 

Still won't work :( but this time it still boots 3 times even after I bridged the cut lframe signal... This either means that the Xbox is now completely fried or the chip is working in some kind of way, but the bios is wrong or something... 

IMG_20180411_222330.jpg

15234783906607788882011002561961.jpg