Welcome to our site

Take a moment to join us. You can sign in with Facebook with a couple of clicks. No need for a lengthy registration. We also have Tapatalk support so you can use this forum on your phone the same way you use facebook. It will keep you notified.

I had a successfully flashed 1.0 mobo with an X2 BIOS. I got a little curious and flashed the X3 3294 BIOS and now my console wont turn on. Light turns green, fans spin and then immediately turn off. Honestly, I kinda expected it. But what are my recovery options? I know I can install a modchip on top of it, but I don't want to fork out an arm and a leg for a good one. Theres some cheap ones on ebay right now for about $5 and I'm curious if I buy one, install it and go to reflash, how do I get it to flash the mobo TSOP and not the modchip? Thanks for reading.

I don't think you can recover the mobo flash. The only thing you can do is modchip or if you have an eprom flasher of some sort.like raspberry Pi. If you boot the chip you can't access the mobo chip to flash it unfortunately. I've seen some people brick their systems doing this on some other forums they say to never ever use an x3 bios on mobo. If you get curious next time just ask I'm sure someone here will have an answer. Learning experience. 

X3 BIOS is specifically made for the X3 modchip.

DO NOT FLASH THIS BIOS TO THE XBOX TSOP OR ANY OTHER NON-X3 MODCHIP!

There are ways to restore the flash by connecting, IIRC, 3 additional wires to the motherboard and jumper them to GND at the appropriate time to regain access to the TSOP after booting from a modchip with a special recovery BIOS - read this Please login or register to see this link. at assembergames.com (AG).

Or, the new Please login or register to see this link. by bennydiamond @ AG (a.k.a. psyko_chewbaccacan be used to fix a bad TSOP flash.  The older Chameleon modchip could be used for TSOP flash recovery too.

Or, unsolder the TSOP EEPROM from the motherboard and use a FLASH programmer (eBay search for TL866CS or TL866A with a 40-pin TSOP adapter) to reprogram it with a compatible properly sized BIOS then reinstall it.  (Install a Please login or register to see this link. similar to what Andrew "bunnie" Huang did when he worked on hacking the Xbox after it was first released.

"bunnie" is the author of the book: Hacking the Xbox available in the downloads section here at Please login or register to see this link. or from the publisher's website for Please login or register to see this link. !)

Excerpt from bunnie's open letter about why he decided to release the free PDF of his book (prefer a physical copy, the Please login or register to see this link.  is still available for purchase online):

Dear Reader,

No Starch Press and I have decided to release this free ebook version of Hacking the Xbox in honor of Aaron Swartz. As you read this book, I hope that you’ll be reminded of how important freedom is to the hacking community and that you’ll be inclined to support the causes that Aaron believed in. ...

Edited by KaosEngineer
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, KaosEngineer said:

Here's the information to use a modchip flashed with the special tsop_m7.bin BIOS (works on v1.0-1.5 Xbox consoles):

read! tsop m7 bios instructions.txt

tsop_m7.bin

Thanks for this, I do have a few questions though.

So it should go down like this:
Install modchip
Flash the M7 Bios to the chip
Follow those directions?

Also, where is A15 point on a 1.0 motherboard? And it says connect D0 to ground, does that mean don't connect it to the modchip?

3 minutes ago, Steven Mrozek said:

Thanks for this, I do have a few questions though.

So it should go down like this:
Install modchip
Flash the M7 Bios to the chip
Follow those directions?

Also, where is A15 point on a 1.0 motherboard? And it says connect D0 to ground, does that mean don't connect it to the modchip?

Yes.  Both D0 and A15 are manually moved from ground to disconnected at the appropriate time during the recovery process.  I need to find the picture with A15's location shown.  I'll post it here soon.

I am rather concerned that this won't work because I flashed an X3 bios, and the chip will have to be permanent. I will attempt it and post back here with the results (I'm hoping I can film a video as well).

Interested in finding out if tsop_m7 can recover or not. 

If not, there are other options. You could do a 29-wire mod (connecting an EPROM as the boot ROM), Or, could go the route of unsoldering the flash chip and use an external programmer to reflash the TSOP (TL866CS or TL866A with 40-pin TSOP adapter) and resolder it to the MB (I'd install a zero-insertion force (ZIF) socket if this method is used).

Edited by KaosEngineer

I did exactly the same as the first guy, I just had to see what would happen lol. I done a bit of looking around and the above info about using the D0 and A15 points is mentioned on a few sites, but I always confirm info here now I found the group. Did the recovery method work for you? I'll post my results when I try the same. 

Mainly just glad I'm not the only one who did this.

• Like 1