Welcome to our site

Take a moment to join us. You can sign in with Facebook with a couple of clicks. No need for a lengthy registration. We also have Tapatalk support so you can use this forum on your phone the same way you use facebook. It will keep you notified.

ELD

Mod To Use XBox 360 Controller

I have been thinking about doing a mod to allow for the use of a Xbox 360 controller.  I used to have a wireless S-controller rip off which worked great but I lost it during moving some time go. I also have the Logitech one, but I really despise it. It just feels wrong and in no way is as good as the s-controller.

I do love the 360 controller and use that for my 360 and my Opensuse based media centre. So I would also like to use it on a Xbox.

I was thinking of using a Raspberry Pi, a Xbox 360 usb receiver, custom usb connector/output to connect to the Xbox motherboard and connector for auto on/off with the xbox button on the 360.

On the Pi I want to load a lightweight Linux with the Xboxdrv driver to take the input of the 360 controllers and translate it to the OG xbox controller output, using some of the code from this same driver which also supports the original xbox controller.

A bit worried about lag and my ability to mod the driver code, but seems like an interesting challenge.

Any one seeing other challenges or maybe has tried this and found it impossible ;)

Edited by ELD

arent 2 CY7C68013A-56 EZ-USB FX2LP USB Develope Board Module or somiliar be easier?
1 acting as a host, translating the packets to buttons and variables the other will reply as client on the xbox? this board is used as a usb debug and USB devices aswell. Im thinking of the following Please login or register to see this link.
(I got 2 of these to sniff USB and debug my laptop, but havent used them yet... so no real world experiance with em yet)

Or, get a OG xbox controller IC and reroute all buttons of the 360 to the very similiar classic one? looks easier.

Else, yeah Linux/Rasp method migth be a trick: Please login or register to see this link. the RaspberryPi zero has OTG apparently so maybe you could turn the Raspberry into a HID device: Please login or register to see this link.
For reverence: Please login or register to see this link. and Xqemu emulator source might help you first with making the Raps act as a controller
But I personaly have enough ControllerS to just take the pcb, and put em in a 360 controller shell with cutting and such. Remmeber that a Rapsberry AND a 360 controller take alott more power from the USB port. and the XBox only has USB1.1. And no way of replacing "drivers" so it either act as a Xbox classic controller or use it with homrebrew software that supports whatever HID device your "emulating"

My 10 cents :D

Edited by codeasm
added application note that Im thinking of as example

An arduino usb host shield an atmega32u4 should do the trick. This has been done in the mechanical keyboard community. (Please login or register to see this link. . The power requirements are very reasonable for this type of setup.

I have a bunch of atmega32u4 lying around and after a couple of hours hacking I have gotten the atmega to register as a "generic xbox controller" on my linux system. I've ordered a bunch of host shields for testing.

The host shield library (Please login or register to see this link. ) supports just about any controller you can think of, so if it works it will be very nice indeed.

Will post updates and source code as soon as I have either.

The code registers fine with PCs running Windows and Linux.. I simply can;t figure out why the xbox doesn't register the chip, but I suspect there;s more to the protocol than is in the open-source drivers.

The AVR code: Please login or register to see this link.

Edit:
The pi cannot be a host and a USB device at the same time which means it would also need a USB shield type device.
This means the AVRs are a better bet since they can be had for under $5 worldwide (whereas the Pi is $10-15 plus shipping where I live).

Edited by ripdajacker
Clarificatio

On 2/24/2018 at 5:12 PM, ripdajacker said:

The code registers fine with PCs running Windows and Linux.. I simply can;t figure out why the xbox doesn't register the chip, but I suspect there;s more to the protocol than is in the open-source drivers.

The AVR code: Please login or register to see this link.

Edit:
The pi cannot be a host and a USB device at the same time which means it would also need a USB shield type device.
This means the AVRs are a better bet since they can be had for under $5 worldwide (whereas the Pi is $10-15 plus shipping where I live).

What are AVRs? and where do you buy them?

2 hours ago, Michael McBride said:

What are AVRs? and where do you buy them?

Is it ok to just point you here? Please login or register to see this link.

Basicly Arduino like hardware. but a PC from 1995 wont play the newest game right? so specs of a IC matter ;)

@ripdajacker did you look at the xboxdevwiki ? Please login or register to see this link. Im not sure if it is complete or enough to recreate the USB device but the Xqemu emulator uses it for emulating a controllers for the emulator. the Xqemu USB Hid emulated source is here: Please login or register to see this link. maybe this helps.
Im watching this thread :D

Wow thanks for the write up codeasm. You are right in that I was looking at the Pi Zero since that can also act as a USB device. I am still thinking on how to do this, I was actually tempted to do it in a really hacky way through using a s-controller board and pi GPIO, but simulating the analog sticks is more difficult than I initially thought :)

@codeasm I read the wiki and XQEMU code and had a heureka moment the other night.

The Arduino registers correctly as an controller on my Xbox! :D

I will continue working on a serial interface to the chip and keep you posted.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ripdajacker said:

@codeasm I read the wiki and XQEMU code and had a heureka moment the other night.

The Arduino registers correctly as an controller on my Xbox! :D

I will continue working on a serial interface to the chip and keep you posted.

i didnt think this was going to ramp up so quickly, im following this thread. sounds like i may be able to steer clear of pad hacks for an arcade stick. exciting stuff.