Welcome to our site

Take a moment to join us. You can sign in with Facebook with a couple of clicks. No need for a lengthy registration. We also have Tapatalk support so you can use this forum on your phone the same way you use facebook. It will keep you notified.

I rebuilt the LPC port on my Xbox v1.6 today and had kind of a tough time with it, so I'm curious what everyone else uses to mod their consoles; type of wire, flux, solder, soldering iron/station, soldering tip, soldering temperature, cleaning solution, etc.

I used some 30AWG wire-wrapping wire from Amazon, an Aoyue 937+ with the fine tip that came with it, RadioShack rosin flux paste, and RadioShack 62/36/2 rosin-core solder. I've soldered quite a few 0.1" headers on microcontroller and FPGA development kits with great success, but their pads were like twice as thick as those on the Xbox's LPC port. I had a hell of a time getting the pads to heat so that the solder would flow nicely. I also ended up burning the solder mask in a couple of places where I left the tip on too long trying to get the pads heated. Fortunately it still seems to work, but the joints look pretty bad. I think part of the problem was the fine solder tip, but I didn't have much luck with a chisel tip either.

Ultracore 0.5mm thin solder wire, non-corrosive alloy; 60/40 Tin/Lead, with inner cores of flux from Eurasia, Kynar wire 30awg, liquid flux from amazon, Hakko 939-1, 700 F, isopropyl alcohol 91%

just did my 1st LPC rebuild recently and it went smooth. Felt pretty easy.

Edited by cOrPsE

I'm poor so I use whatever I can. Wires from junk cables and stuff. Cheap flux with lead in it I gotta scrub off like crazy. A 25W no-name iron with a bare copper tip I brazed an extension on when corrosion got the better of it. A big coil of tin/lead solder I found in a box.

Some knives. Needle files. Sandpapers. Strop paste. Various adhesives and solvents.

It all does the job.

• Like 1

Kynar wire, a $100 soldering station from china that has a heatgun and temperature controlled soldering iron with various tips. A couple of spring loaded vacuum solder suckers. (These things are great!) A magnifying lens so I can see better for close up work.

On 2/3/2018 at 8:12 AM, fox said:

I'm poor so I use whatever I can. Wires from junk cables and stuff. Cheap flux with lead in it I gotta scrub off like crazy. A 25W no-name iron with a bare copper tip I brazed an extension on when corrosion got the better of it. A big coil of tin/lead solder I found in a box.

Some knives. Needle files. Sandpapers. Strop paste. Various adhesives and solvents.

It all does the job.

you are a bad ass mother fucker
sorry for swearing