OGXbox.com

Old Chameleon Chip - Wanted To Clone Old Hdd To a New One and Need a Little Help

ShawnS

Hi everybody, first time here in SO long. I've had a modded Xbox since 2003 which I just turned back on after I heard out about the clock capacitor problem. Mine was ok (I was able to remove it and clean up alright) but having it back on I've found the hard drive to be quite loud and maybe not running so great.

I wanted to replace the hard drive but I'm not sure if my old Chameleon modchip throws a wrench into the tutorials I've been looking at. If possible the method of hotswapping the DVD drive with the new HDD and cloning the original drive seems easiest. 

Any suggestions before I start fumbling through this are very much appreciated! And I have all the stats on my current setup if needed. Thanks so much for the help!!

Yeah look up Chimp. it's the tool you'll use for cloning. 
I would probably look into just backing up your data to your pc and ftp'ing it over to the new hdd. In actuality, this will be easiest since you won't have to read up on the chimp procedure and hope it works for you.
Also look into flashing your tsop. 
If you do this you won't need a modchip anymore. Also, if you ever want to sell the chameleon you have a buyer right here. :) I collect chips, and I don't have this one.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Only problem I think you may have is based on which version of modified BIOS you have flashed to the  Chameleon.  Do you know which is flashed to it?

Next, use the latest version of Chimp.  V261812 is the latest version of Chimp to try.  Don't try any older versions.

I'm not sure how to find it. In XBMC it can't detect the modchip or the BIOS and I cannot remember for the life of me how to get into the BIOS.

On 2/2/2018 at 9:54 AM, OGXbox Admin said:

Yeah look up Chimp. it's the tool you'll use for cloning. 
I would probably look into just backing up your data to your pc and ftp'ing it over to the new hdd. In actuality, this will be easiest since you won't have to read up on the chimp procedure and hope it works for you.
Also look into flashing your tsop. 
If you do this you won't need a modchip anymore. Also, if you ever want to sell the chameleon you have a buyer right here. :) I collect chips, and I don't have this one.

Sorry for the late reply. I was expecting the site to email me about comments and then life happened and haven't gotten back here until today. Your idea about flashing the TSOP and then copying over from the old hard drive sounds good. If I do get the chameleon chip out of there I'll let you know!

If you start the stock MS dashboard go into System Info scroller at the end it shows the kernel - K: 1.00.KKKK.01 and dashboard - D: 1.00.DDDD.01 .  What value is KKKK and DDDD as it's there too?

Or, UnleashX shows the Kernel version in the System Info page - from the main menu press Y and look for it: 1.0.KKKK.1. Press B to return to the main menu.

Evoxdash with the appropriate skin selected will display the BIOS and Kernel versions too.

Edited by KaosEngineer

On 2/15/2018 at 4:24 PM, ShawnS said:

In the default dashboard it says K: 1.00.4977.01 and D: 1.00.5960.00. In evoxdash it says bios unknown and kernel 1.00.4977.01 if I go into the Flash BIOS menu it looks like I have X2_4977 available. That might be the last installed BIOS? 

Yeah, the BIOS needs to be updated. I'm not sure 4977 has LBA48 support if not the max HDD size is 137GB 

The lastest 256KB X2 BIOS is 4983 and 512KB X2 BIOS is 5035.  There are also a few more compatible BIOS's that could be used on your modchip and console - EvoX M8plus, iND-BiOS 5003 or the Beta iND-BiOS Feb-11-05 (aka 5004) = all 256KB in size.

I'd download a copy of HeXEn 2017 installer disc, extract and burn a copy to DVD-R. Boot the disc. It does take a minute before the menu appears so wait for it. Next, select the menu option to flash a BIOS to your modchip/TSOP.

Edited by KaosEngineer

• 1 month later...

Holy moly, this has to be one of the slowest upgrade projects in Xbox history. Ok, got the Hexen disc running and updated the BIOS to iND-BiOS 5003 67.

The next step would be to buy a new HDD. What's the suggested type and size? @KaosEngineer mentioned 137gb might be the max for my chip/BIOS combo. I currently have a 120gb WD1200JB and I don't really need to go higher unless it turns out it *is* supported.

Thanks again everybody for the continued and drawn out help :D

The latest BIOS's support a maximum of 2TB for a SATA HDD/compatible IDE-to-SATA adapter combo.  Or, 750GB for old PATA HDDs as I think that's the largest size they were ever made.

BIOS : (256KB) M8plus, iND-BiOS 5003 or beta 5004, or (512KB) X2 5035. 

If installing a HDD > 1TB in size, partitions 6 and 7 must be used.  Best to use only the 67 version of any BIOS whether you plan to use partition 7/drive G or not.

Edited by KaosEngineer