Welcome to our site

Take a moment to join us. You can sign in with Facebook with a couple of clicks. No need for a lengthy registration. We also have Tapatalk support so you can use this forum on your phone the same way you use facebook. It will keep you notified.

Sign in to follow this  
Pbhound

Power Button

I have an issue with my Xbox. it seems that the power button is not functional. does anyone have a wiring diagram for that circuit or know what pins to read on the wire bundle?

Bios Chip.jpeg

PowerButtonXbox.jpeg

SerialNumberXbox.jpeg

Edited by Pbhound

15 minutes ago, cOrPsE said:

have you ruled everything else out by switching it or manually turning it on?

well, to turn it on I press the CD/DVD eject button. but when I try to turn it off with the power button nothing happens.

how do you manually turn it on other than the power button, which it does not turn on the xbox

Edited by Pbhound

nice XBOX you should TSOP it. The switch could be broken if the xbox is turning on but the button does nothing. I had the same thing happen. replacements on ebay are dirt cheap. I am wondering if trace corrosion could cause this but I doubt it

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, cOrPsE said:

nice XBOX you should TSOP it. The switch could be broken if the xbox is turning on but the button does nothing. I had the same thing happen. replacements on ebay are dirt cheap. I am wondering if trace corrosion could cause this but I doubt it

yeah I was looking to TSOP it but wanted to see if this old thing still worked. well it does but the power/dvd buttons board might be and might not be the issue.  could be a gunked up dvd drive pulling too much power and power cycling the unit.  just now noticed after tearing it apart and putting it back together that the dvd butting power cycles the unit but does not eject the drive...

ok so I put it all back together and the only button that works is the eject button and it shuts off and turns on the unit...

Edited by Pbhound
update

The power button has a trace running under the board that intersects the clock capacitor, and I'm gonna bet yours leaked and ate that trace. Same thing happened to a used board I bought. The damage was so microscopic I couldn't locate it without a 10x magnifying glass. On the other hand a resistor could have died. Get yourself a multimeter and do a simple continuity test of the points on this page: http://fillwithcoolblogname.blogspot.com/2011/02/1st-gen-xbox-trace-corrosion-repair.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ok so I have removed the clock capacitor (leaked) and cleaned everything up.  after putting it back together it will only power on with the eject button, also when I press the eject button again it powers off.

good news is that the dvd drive boots a game disk just fine.

Check the underneath side of the motherboard for trace corrosion along the front edge.  These thin easily damaged traces carry processed power and eject button closure status to the PIC processor (System Management Controller - SMC).

O52PATG.jpg

Typical trace corrosion on the back (solder side) of the ogXbox motherboard - grid section 7V.

Follow the P/E board Troubleshooting steps found at the link previously supplied - Please login or register to see this link.

Edited by KaosEngineer
  • Like 1