OGXbox.com

New To Modding

Welty

hello, 

im new to modding xbox, 

few weeks ago i bought myself a new xbox, I cleaned it up, aplied new thermal paste etc etc

but mainly i wanna try out modding 

i got myself a copy of the first version of the splinter cell game, and i ordered a female usb to xbox cable,

i got an hynix bios chip, so im also planning to TSOP my console. The model is from 2003-06-04.

so im guessing its an version 1,3 mobo

and does upgrading to 80mm fan improve performance?

do u guys have any tips for me or any recommendations on what and what not do to?

welcome - seems like you have done some research. I would start start with downloading the latest softmod tool from JCRocky5.  You will need to softmod your console before performing the TSOP modification.  Also, after you softmod, your board version number will pop up on the main dash as sort of a confirmation to what info you have.  Sounds like you are 1..2-.14 so the flashing options are the same.  You will also want to download HeXen 2017. You will use that to flash to your desired bios.  

step 1 - softmod

step 2 - solder your bridges

step 3 - run HeXen -  for this particular xbox you will use non winbond option, then choose a 256k bios.  Most people recommend IND-BIOS 5003 or 5004. (F & G).  

step 4 - Install new hard drive with HeXen in Dvd tray - it will automatically take you through the hdd setup. 

step 5 - once complete, install applications (you will need Xbpartitioner)

step 6 - boot into generic unleashX without HeXen in tray. Run xbparitioner. - see note below

note: Xbpartitioner can be a little buggy. Here is what i recommend for a either a smaller drive upgrade or a large one up to 2 tb.  Leave the first grouping of rows alone, you will be focused on the second set of rows (1st line or 1st or second line if you are doing a G folder (anything over 1TB will require a G).  hit A i believe to set those 1 or 2 rows to their max amount.  Example 2 TB will show 927GB in both rows.  Before selecting format, lower that number in both rows by one tick using the dpad (926 for ex.), Format by pressing start, then Y.  Reboot Xbox, Run Xbpartitioner again, and now set both of those values (or 1 if using a smaller drive) to their max amount, hit start, then Y to format.  Now when you reboot your new HDD should be set correctly to the correct cluster size and not show any ER (error as you may see in XBP until you start changing the values).

Then it's up to you which dashboard you want to load up. Happy modding

• Like 2

welcome - seems like you have done some research. I would start start with downloading the latest softmod tool from JCRocky5.  You will need to softmod your console before performing the TSOP modification.  Also, after you softmod, your board version number will pop up on the main dash as sort of a confirmation to what info you have.  Sounds like you are 1..2-.14 so the flashing options are the same.  You will also want to download HeXen 2017. You will use that to flash to your desired bios.  
step 1 - softmod
step 2 - solder your bridges
step 3 - run HeXen -  for this particular xbox you will use non winbond option, then choose a 256k bios.  Most people recommend IND-BIOS 5003 or 5004. (F & G).  
step 4 - Install new hard drive with HeXen in Dvd tray - it will automatically take you through the hdd setup. 
step 5 - once complete, install applications (you will need Xbpartitioner)
step 6 - boot into generic unleashX without HeXen in tray. Run xbparitioner. - see note below
note: Xbpartitioner can be a little buggy. Here is what i recommend for a either a smaller drive upgrade or a large one up to 2 tb.  Leave the first grouping of rows alone, you will be focused on the second set of rows (1st line or 1st or second line if you are doing a G folder (anything over 1TB will require a G).  hit A i believe to set those 1 or 2 rows to their max amount.  Example 2 TB will show 927GB in both rows.  Before selecting format, lower that number in both rows by one tick using the dpad (926 for ex.), Format by pressing start, then Y.  Reboot Xbox, Run Xbpartitioner again, and now set both of those values (or 1 if using a smaller drive) to their max amount, hit start, then Y to format.  Now when you reboot your new HDD should be set correctly to the correct cluster size and not show any ER (error as you may see in XBP until you start changing the values).
Then it's up to you which dashboard you want to load up. Happy modding
Very impressed with how much time and detail you gave to a stranger. You are one of the good ones my friend. [emoji106]
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Your other questions - fan upgrade is nice, but with new paste it isn't necessary. A lot of guys have guides on how they squeeze 80mm fans in.  I prefer a 70 mm nexus fan (amazon).  It's a silent fan that you have to just cut two corners off a little (so hdd tray fits nicely).  While it doesn't move air like a 80mm, i can run at 75%-100% and barely hear it.  The nice thing is that it snaps into the bottom clips in the case, you just need some small cable ties to hold down the top.

You will also want to pull off your clock capacitor if you haven't already.  That should be an easy one to google.  

Edited by Incursion64
  • Like 1

ty guys, for the usefull information. can't wait to start modding

also about the new paste, i tried to clean all of it but there were still leftovers

on sides which have been dried out. and i couldnt clean it very well.

it was like a clay substance but just on the sides of the gpu/cpu.

further more i cleaned the tops, and applied new paste.

i have been playing a video game to see if the xbox will heat up. after about 15 min. it was pretty cool,. the fan was blowing lukewarm heat

but will the leftover residue cause any issues?

about the fan. i will see if i can get it somewhere. i found a 80mm but not a 70mm.

i didnt check the clock capacitor but should i?

i was thinking to get a bigger hdd, but i have no clue on which specific hdd fits with the xbox?

Edited by Welty

i couldnt find the nexus 70mm you told me to get,

im from europe so ordering on amazon will cost me like 20 euros of shipping

however i did find something similar:

Titan 70mm Fan - DC Fan

Specifications

• Dimensions: 70 x 70 x 10 mm
  • Connection: 3-pin Molex 
  • Generated air flow: 21.33 CFM
  • Fan type: Z - bearing
  • Rotational speed: 3500 rev./minute
  • Noise level: < 33 dBA
  • Current consumption: 0.25 A
  • Power consumption: 3 W
  • Voltage: 12 V

will this work out too?

9 hours ago, Welty said:

ty guys, for the usefull information. can't wait to start modding

also about the new paste, i tried to clean all of it but there were still leftovers

on sides which have been dried out. and i couldnt clean it very well.

it was like a clay substance but just on the sides of the gpu/cpu.

further more i cleaned the tops, and applied new paste.

i have been playing a video game to see if the xbox will heat up. after about 15 min. it was pretty cool,. the fan was blowing lukewarm heat

but will the leftover residue cause any issues?

about the fan. i will see if i can get it somewhere. i found a 80mm but not a 70mm.

i didnt check the clock capacitor but should i?

i was thinking to get a bigger hdd, but i have no clue on which specific hdd fits with the xbox?

I use Articlean Thermal paste remover, usually gets the crust off the sides with a little work.  Other guys use various thinners which also work.  On some models, i've come across a plastic like paste where regular remover doesn't cut it, I use a very small amount of goof off, and it comes right up.  Honestly though, if you have a little paste on the side and it's not on the top flat area,.it should be fine.  

You can use a 80 mm, you just have to do a little more dremel work to get it to fit. 

Remove that clock capacitor, even if it looks like it hasn't leaked, because at some point it will. The only time you don't pull one is if it's a gold colored cap,  I recommend you watch a youtube video or 2 just to learn a little more detail on these points that I'm mentioning.    

3.5" hard drive is what is typically used.  The Xbox uses and IDE interface.  You can use a SATA hard drive, but you will need to purchase a PATA/SATA adapter, and a new 80 conductor (40 pin) IDE cable.  Most people by 24" long on amazon or ebay. I like the Hitachi Ultrastar personally.  They are enterprise/server class drives and are very durable.  If you decide to use western digital or seagate, i'd stay away from the green drives

8 hours ago, Welty said:

i couldnt find the nexus 70mm you told me to get,

im from europe so ordering on amazon will cost me like 20 euros of shipping

however i did find something similar:

Titan 70mm Fan - DC Fan

Specifications

• Dimensions: 70 x 70 x 10 mm
  • Connection: 3-pin Molex 
  • Generated air flow: 21.33 CFM
  • Fan type: Z - bearing
  • Rotational speed: 3500 rev./minute
  • Noise level: < 33 dBA
  • Current consumption: 0.25 A
  • Power consumption: 3 W
  • Voltage: 12 V

will this work out too?

Not familiar with it, but went on the amazon UK site and saw this one.  Might be worth a try.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AAB-Cooling-Super-Silent-anti-vibration/dp/B01HTNV1GW/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1516293717&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=Titan+70mm+Fan

Just jumping in,
I had some bad luck with cheap sata-ide converters, buy the startech adapter, I had bad luck (fried a drive) The startech product seems to be the best. it also has a built in molex splitter which simplifies life when cloning the drive) the model name is "ide2sat"

Ive used some very cheap ide cables i found on a canadian site http://www.cablesalescanada.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=480_641_646  they only had the 36 inch cable available but it works just fine and its kinda nice with the added slack... ide folds really well, get creative with cable management.

Another thing ive had happen was a bad dvd drive (i like to use the hexen disc) it wouldnt read anything. so i left the stock dvddrive connected to power in xbox (connected ide cable to pc drive powered unit using startech splitter), with a disc in the xbox drive (tells xbox its reading a disc) and the hexen disc in the pc drive it booted the software and i was able to finish my install

Rockys softmod kit works really well and the instructions are clear... (im not sure he includes the drive explorer software in the kit) you will need a usb drive that is smaller than 4GB which i had a hard time finding... you can make a xbox-usb adapter if you have a donor female usb (typically the end of a usb extension)
What i did was sacrificed a third party controller for the controller port cord BUT when i had made the xbox-usb i had the male end left over from the extension cable so i soldered that onto the end of the gamepad cord... well!! now i had a pc game pad and if you simply connect the male usb end to the female xbox-usb end the gamepad stilll works on the XBOX!!! very cool.

• Like 2