OGXbox.com

updates to the Dashes

T2Steve

Dream with me for a few moments.. what Dashes should we keep around at this point? If they could be updated (within what a OG xbox can do) what updates should be done to them?

One of the dashes that I've always wanted to play around in was Avalaunch. I remember hearing good things about it, and the integration of the various skins and etc via webpage was an interesting concept. I think if it had some love shown to it, it could become a decent dash again - mostly by updating the broken links etc.

Unleash is probably everyone's go to favourite. Aside from the missing ability to backup the EEPROM and flash the BIOS, it is a lightweight and easy to use work horse.

Evox has the EEPROM and flash thing down. I really dont see much need for it beyond that. I suppose it's also easy to create your own skins for it, but Unleash really did surpass it in every way. If unleash could get the two previously mentioned features added in, I think Evox is dead.

XBMC - honestly I like it as a media player but not as a dash. it just feels kind of clumsy and bulky. I think it is fantastic for what it is and achieved so many things that the 360 stole directly from it... but now every time I look at it I think about how much better Kodi has been developed, and for fairly obvious reasons. It's a shame that XBMC isn't updated so much anymore.

I was talking with Blake the other day and I suggested that we try to update hexen with new links that point to live sites. What would you like to see? If we could dream for a few minutes and come up with some new options, what would you pick?

• Like 3

We're going to do all we can on this front. My first objective is to bring the update functionality back to the dashboards that had it. I'll be happy to host skins and update for dashboards. We will need help from scripters, skinners, and coders. I would love to have the source code to unleashx. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2017-4-28 at 6:49 AM, T2Steve said:

Dream with me for a few moments.. what Dashes should we keep around at this point? If they could be updated (within what a OG xbox can do) what updates should be done to them?

One of the dashes that I've always wanted to play around in was Avalaunch. I remember hearing good things about it, and the integration of the various skins and etc via webpage was an interesting concept. I think if it had some love shown to it, it could become a decent dash again - mostly by updating the broken links etc.

Unleash is probably everyone's go to favourite. Aside from the missing ability to backup the EEPROM and flash the BIOS, it is a lightweight and easy to use work horse.

Evox has the EEPROM and flash thing down. I really dont see much need for it beyond that. I suppose it's also easy to create your own skins for it, but Unleash really did surpass it in every way. If unleash could get the two previously mentioned features added in, I think Evox is dead.

XBMC - honestly I like it as a media player but not as a dash. it just feels kind of clumsy and bulky. I think it is fantastic for what it is and achieved so many things that the 360 stole directly from it... but now every time I look at it I think about how much better Kodi has been developed, and for fairly obvious reasons. It's a shame that XBMC isn't updated so much anymore.

I was talking with Blake the other day and I suggested that we try to update hexen with new links that point to live sites. What would you like to see? If we could dream for a few minutes and come up with some new options, what would you pick?

I am looking at creating an OGXbox installer disc with the most up to date distros. If you decide to go ahead with adapting dashes and updating them, I would like to help and include them.